Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM

36 posts, read 168,488 times

Advertisements

Its official. I'm moving to Clear Lake. I visited the place 3 weeks ago and loved it. Today I got the job offer. It will be me and three kids (8,6,5). Anybody have any advice for us? We're coming from the Coast of California where it stays 65-75 year round. How should I prepare? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:24 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,207,814 times
Congratualtions and welcome! I think you will like Clear Lake.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Welcome-- the weather is goign to be just fine now, but you're gonna have fun in a few months. The day after you move in, if it's a house - make sure the place has a good, reliable A/C. This is a must!! We get all the inland heat and all the coastal moisture, making the heat index among the highest in the Houston area. Oh yeah, and look out for bugs & toads & other crawly things that freak out coastal Cali types.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 PM

257 posts, read 986,360 times
Default cheap

Are you moving here because its cheap?I have been told that newcomers are drawn here because its cheap.Is this your quest for cheapness?The big difference here is that you will sweat.Clearlake ,Friendswood and League are very nice places and cheap so I have been told.My advice if you have kids is to live in the school districts of either Clear lake City or Friendswood.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM

36 posts, read 168,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
Are you moving here because its cheap?I have been told that newcomers are drawn here because its cheap.Is this your quest for cheapness?The big difference here is that you will sweat.Clearlake ,Friendswood and League are very nice places and cheap so I have been told.My advice if you have kids is to live in the school districts of either Clear lake City or Friendswood.
I'm moving there because my dream job is there, not because its cheap. Once I got there for the interview, I loved the place and the layout of that area. I asked everyone I met how they liked it and they all said it was the best place they ever lived. I guess I'll have to get use to sweating. I wonder how long it takes to climatize.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCS View Post
I guess I'll have to get use to sweating. I wonder how long it takes to climatize.

Never. It still sucks the breath out of us natives when it's at its peak.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:46 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCS View Post
I'm moving there because my dream job is there, not because its cheap. Once I got there for the interview, I loved the place and the layout of that area. I asked everyone I met how they liked it and they all said it was the best place they ever lived. I guess I'll have to get use to sweating. I wonder how long it takes to climatize.
It takes a little while. We moved here a year ago from San Diego area. It was harder to deal with the colder temperatures in the fall and winter than dealing with the heat. All my relatives said I wouldn't need winter coats as it doesn't get really cold here. HA! My blood apparantly thined while living in Ca because I haven't been warm since Dec. Never thought I would look forward to the hot summers but boy do I ever.

Have to say though, my family is sure glad we moved here, never been happier.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Never. It still sucks the breath out of us natives when it's at its peak.
You're right, never. Every year it gets worse to me.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,988,426 times
Native Houstonian and I love the hot weather - I like it much better than when we have cold weather. The cold weather here, when we have it, feels damp so it has a sting to it. You'll love Clear Lake. When it comes to schools I would choose a home that is zoned to Clear Lake or Clear Creek High Schools over Clearbrook High School. Clearbrook is an okay school they just seem to have more issues that parents want to avoid for their kids (This isn't firsthand knowledge - this comes to me from friends who kids go to school at Brook versus the ones who go to Lake).

Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,678,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
It was harder to deal with the colder temperatures in the fall and winter than dealing with the heat. All my relatives said I wouldn't need winter coats as it doesn't get really cold here.
Yeah, I've never understood that either. It gets pretty nippy here, like it is right now. And it changes so fast, the weather, your body doesn't have a chance to get acclimated to it, so yeah, jackets are mandatory at times! Days like this I don't leave the house without at least a sweater, even if I end up tying it around my waist at some point during the day, before having to put it back on again in the evening...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston