U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,790 times

Advertisements

Great forum you have here. I have been lurking through this forum for a few weeks and picked up lots of valuable adviceÖthanks!

Iím an Aussie who will be moving to Houston next week on a 2 year work contract, staying in 77063 for a few weeks and working in 77041.

I am currently looking for places to rent long term and would like to have at least a private, small fenced off backyard for a garden table, BBQ and somewhere for the cats to run around.

A townhouse here in Aust would be along those lines so I assume itís the same in the US but searching under townhouse with backyard isnt possible on all the sites of been on and I end up with what look like apartments in my searches.

Although I donít really know the areas, Iím thinking 5 miles east or west of 77063 & north to 77041.

Do you think Iíll find a 1 or 2 bed townhouse with a fenced off backyard in this area up to $800/m?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,530,754 times
someone.... anyone??

Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 AM

14 posts, read 53,482 times
10328 Bridgeland Ln, Houston, TX 77041-8820 - Courtyard Hms Th Part (Also Houston

This is what I found on HAR, closest to your price range.

What you would call a townhouse may be the same as the UK townhouse - I believe that they are called 'patio homes' in Houston.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 PM

283 posts, read 886,718 times
Quote:
What you would call a townhouse may be the same as the UK townhouse - I believe that they are called 'patio homes' in Houston.
I think UK-Trinity is correct in that your description would be called a patio home in Houston.

Last edited by Eastender67; 03-12-2008 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Included web site did not show up

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM

64 posts, read 152,508 times
Hello Stark World

You will be hard-pressed to find a house to rent for that price that is the kind of house you might want to live in. You will, however, find lots of places at that price where the smell hits you as you walk in the door! (You can guess how I know that one!)
Since you are working in town, why not look at finding a place with roommates? Roommates.com is handy and has lots of opportunities.
Not sure where the "UK" bit crept in since you are in Australia, but here a townhouse is usually a tall and skinny 3-story building with a garage underneath and a teeny-tiny garden at the back and a deck if you are lucky; these are mostly found within the 610 Loop but some builders are selling them outside of town as well. A patio home, meanwhile, is most often a single story building with a meter or so of paving or lawn all the way around the building; they are designed for ease of care and low utility bills.
Either way, finding a nice rental property at that price is going to take a lot of looking with your checkbook handy for when you find one.
Good luck.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 PM

Thanks for your all help, much appreciated.

So I really I have to look for a small Single Family Home or a Patio Home to make certain I get the backyard...Thanks UK-Trinity & Eastender67.

Geraldine, I guess by your description there is still a chance on a townhouse but I really need to call and ask on an individual basis. The larger end of teeny-tiny might be OK if It can fit the table & BBQ.

But above all this, it looks like I need to be looking above $900, possibly $1000

Thanks again, it all gives me a better understanding with my new searches and a good head-start of knowledge before i get there.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM

6,556 posts, read 9,643,955 times
77063 can be a sketchy area of town - I would look more in the 77041 zip and stay outside of Beltway 8.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:48 AM

Hi texas7, the 77063 accomodation is already organised but its only temporary until I find somewhere I like.

I currently live in a sketchy area here in Melbourne, Aus very similar distance to downtown as 77063 is to Houston downtown. On paper 77063 looks convenient beyond that I welcome any views/advice.

I dont have family to worry about so unless you're talking daily gun battles, it realy doesnt phase me. I guess I'll have a few weeks to find out how the two sketchies compare.

I met a woman from Austin last year so will be there most spare weekends. I also have two well trained cats...they run flat out and hide when they hear the slightest noise outside. At least I'll know when I'm going to be robbed in my home a split second before it happens.

All jokes aside, thanks for pointing it out though, it's always great to have a local's point of view rather than committing and regretting it for the 12 months of the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: