U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 PM

8 posts, read 56,276 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing a home in Meadows Place. It seems quiet and the homes were built in the 1970's. They attend the Sugarland schools Dulles High School. When I searched on the internet it seemed more famous for being a speed trap then anything else, which I presume is an indicator of a strong police presence.?. Any information sharing concerning meadows Place would be greatly appreciated, crime? peceful neighborhood? Strict HOA? Communty Activites for the kids (highschool age son)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,601,952 times
There is no HOA but there are deed restrictions and from my POV all yards/houses look well kept.

I like the place. I've lived there for a month now. It's a very tranquil place. Nice enough neighbors too. There's community activites and the kids get along well from what I've heard/seen

There is a strong police presence and that's definitely a good thing. You can buy a sticker that shows you're a resident of the neighborhood (supposedly you'd be less likely to get pulled over if you speed every once in a while... i need to go buy one).

Another thing I like about it is that the homes are NOT cookie cutter. You can see some variety. And the community is set as in long term residents.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,861 times
Meadows Place, incorporated in 1983, is the gateway to Ft. Bend County. Its excellent location, varied housing stock, engaged government, exemplary schools, outstanding parks, vigilant police department, code enforcement, and curbside recycling offer generations of residents the opportunity to raise well-rounded families in a safe, fun, family-oriented environment. Meadows Place residents enjoy small-town tranquility within the Greater Houston Area. "There is No Place Like Meadows Place - Your Place for Life.” Visit City of Meadows Place, small town community in the Fort Bend County just outside Houston, Texas > Home! New lake complete and dog park coming soon.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM

4,545 posts, read 8,262,176 times
Meadows Place also has a nice Nigerian restaurant, "Suya Hut"

Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 AM

344 posts, read 1,045,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodiff View Post
I am considering purchasing a home in Meadows Place. It seems quiet and the homes were built in the 1970's. They attend the Sugarland schools Dulles High School. When I searched on the internet it seemed more famous for being a speed trap then anything else, which I presume is an indicator of a strong police presence.?.
The history of Meadows Place is that it was a subdivision (The Meadows) that became a city so it could have its own police department. Before the newer houses, and before any of the commercial/retail development sprang up, it was a suburb in Ft. Bend County that hired the sheriff's department to provide extra patrols. The attorney general issued an opinion that stopped that, and the subdivision incorporated, put a stop sign every ten feet on Kirkwood, and hired some cops to write tickets like crazy. Apparently they had a problem with speeders on Kirkwood

All the rest of that stuff just kind of grew up over the years. The shopping center on 59 was the first development that I remember, and I think that was built around 1989ish or so.

I don't know if their diligent enforcement of traffic laws makes them any safer than any other suburb, but I darn sure watch my speed when I drive through there. Personally, I am not crazy about being too close to freeways or retail stuff because bad guys like to use the freeways for EZ on-off crime sprees, and retail stuff just attracts criminality because that's where all the stuff worth stealing is. And all the motels/hotels along the freeway are attractors of all sorts of transients, a lot of them not desirable folks to be around. That sort of thing is possible in any city, but Meadows is so small that I'm not sure how far away you can get from all of that.

Last edited by DrLizardo; 11-07-2011 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,971,742 times
Make sure you don't drive one mile over the speed limit.
I got a ticket there once on that stretch of W. Airport that leads to 59.
Cops there have nothing better to do apparently.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,657,649 times
Meadows Place, Meadows Place. I have a relative (cousin) that has lived there for quite awhile now so I can give you some insight.

-The elementary school is top notch. It's one of the best in the state. Meadows, one apartment complex and part of Huntington Estates in Houston are the only areas that attend Meadows Elementary.

-Demographics in Meadows Place are changing. This is unsettling to some of the long time residents, but for most they are fine with it.

-Dulles middle and high are not the schools they used to be. They are still pretty good, but are not as good as they once were. The same might be said of FBISD in general.

-Foundation problems abound in Meadows Place. Make sure you get a great inspector.

-Crime is pretty much non-existant.

-BB Hot Dogs is about as close as you can get to Chicago style hot dogs, Italian beefs and so forth.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 PM

166 posts, read 818,886 times
I have very fond memories of growing up in the Meadows during the 80s... I remember that mall by 59, I think it was called Deurville Mall or something like that and it had that Federated Electronics store that went bankrupt. I'm a Meadows Elementary Mustang Alumni (although I moved away from there when I was in 3rd grade). Not sure how it is now, but back then, it was a piece of Americana... neighborhood kids of all ages always playing in the streets and going over to each other's houses. I miss the simpler good old days of growing up....

Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 PM

876 posts, read 1,551,184 times
Meadows place is a huge traffic ticket enterprise. I got one as I was pulling up to a light and as I slowed down to about 1 mph I scooted over to the next lane last second, forgetting in this last second to signal. A really mean looking female issued me a ticket. If you decide to go to court and want to present evidence and you don't have a lawyer, you're out of luck. No way to show a diagram or anything unless you know the procedure. The judge goes right by the book and may threaten you with contempt of court if you want to present any evidence without following procedure in this stunningly large and imposing courtroom with few smiles.

There are scores of stop signs a the major divided artery (S. Kirkwood) through there at every dinky side street, just tempting drivers to let it slide and maybe, in a hurry, not coming to a complete stop 8 times. If you park your car on one of these side streets and watch for the "officers" coming through, you will see them running these stop signs instead of stopping 10 times to go 10 blocks on this major artery. And many times making turns without turn signals. I made many videos of them doing this, with the idea of posting them online, maybe I will do it. Someone with a little extra coin maybe one day will post a billboard warning people turning onto W. Airport of this scam of a municipality. If you move there get used to the crummy fuel economy and wear and tear on your vehicle obeying stop signs, or alternatively as another poster said, get a sticker-- your symbolic "wink and a nod".

Thank you Meadows Place, for your forward looking ideas contributed to the Houston Metro. So does it work for you guys getting us to pay for it all.

Last edited by groovamos; 11-07-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 AM

4,545 posts, read 8,262,176 times
By all means, please post the videos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Meadows place is a huge traffic ticket enterprise. I got one as I was pulling up to a light and as I slowed down to about 1 mph I scooted over to the next lane last second, forgetting in this last second to signal. A really mean looking female issued me a ticket. If you decide to go to court and want to present evidence and you don't have a lawyer, you're out of luck. No way to show a diagram or anything unless you know the procedure. The judge goes right by the book and may threaten you with contempt of court if you want to present any evidence without following procedure in this stunningly large and imposing courtroom with few smiles.

There are scores of stop signs a the major divided artery (S. Kirkwood) through there at every dinky side street, just tempting drivers to let it slide and maybe, in a hurry, not coming to a complete stop 8 times. If you park your car on one of these side streets and watch for the "officers" coming through, you will see them running these stop signs instead of stopping 10 times to go 10 blocks on this major artery. And many times making turns without turn signals. I made many videos of them doing this, with the idea of posting them online, maybe I will do it. Someone with a little extra coin maybe one day will post a billboard warning people turning onto W. Airport of this scam of a municipality. If you move there get used to the crummy fuel economy and wear and tear on your vehicle obeying stop signs, or alternatively as another poster said, get a sticker-- your symbolic "wink and a nod".

Thank you Meadows Place, for your forward looking ideas contributed to the Houston Metro. So does it work for you guys getting us to pay for it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston