Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:25 PM

154 posts, read 179,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Not sure where you're getting your data from, but it pulls an "A" ranking right along with George Ranch, Seven Lakes, Cinco Ranch, etc.

2017 Report Card | Rankings
I looked at a few that gave it mediocre grades; here's a couple:

https://www.greatschools.org/texas/r...r-High-School/

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/s...59/school.aspx

Coming from school districts with 9's and 10's exclusively, the lower grades were/are a bit questionable to me. And in my experience report cards that come from the area (Houston Chronicle) as opposed to nationwide comparison sites, are slightly more biased; as in they give out more A's than normal if the schools as a whole perform lower than nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:39 PM

35 posts, read 43,514 times
What if I wanted to build (or buy) a mid-century modern or modern type home? I looked at six or seven Benders Creek and Old Town Katy homes and they all look somewhat the same...

Thinking something like these:

Old 07-21-2017, 01:52 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,913,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbraves49 View Post
I looked at a few that gave it mediocre grades; here's a couple:

https://www.greatschools.org/texas/r...r-High-School/

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/s...59/school.aspx

Coming from school districts with 9's and 10's exclusively, the lower grades were/are a bit questionable to me. And in my experience report cards that come from the area (Houston Chronicle) as opposed to nationwide comparison sites, are slightly more biased; as in they give out more A's than normal if the schools as a whole perform lower than nationwide.
I guess agree to disagree. The Greatschools reports has grades and college readiness at 8/10 each, which I would say is better than mediocre (the overall score of 6/10 is dragged down by what I consider a dubious statistic of 2/10 for "student progress").

The second report gives it a 4/5 overall rating and all test scores are in the 82nd to 98th percentile. Again, if mediocre could be considered the middle 50% (25th through 75th percentile) then this exceeds mediocre by that logic.

If you are calling it mediocre compared to the highest-esteemed peers like Clements, HSPVA, etc then I'll allow that.

As a final aside, I would argue that a student of a certain IQ / study-habits / work ethic is going to be as successful (if not more-so, given Valedictorian opportunities and top 10% acceptance rules in Texas) at a school like Foster as they would at Seven Lakes.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM

154 posts, read 179,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
I guess agree to disagree. The Greatschools reports has grades and college readiness at 8/10 each, which I would say is better than mediocre (the overall score of 6/10 is dragged down by what I consider a dubious statistic of 2/10 for "student progress").

The second report gives it a 4/5 overall rating and all test scores are in the 82nd to 98th percentile. Again, if mediocre could be considered the middle 50% (25th through 75th percentile) then this exceeds mediocre by that logic.

If you are calling it mediocre compared to the highest-esteemed peers like Clements, HSPVA, etc then I'll allow that.
Yeah that was more my definition of mediocre. Not necessarily a median quality school,but below top tier which is what the school districts we're coming from are and would like to find if possible.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:22 PM

203 posts, read 253,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJ1288 View Post
What if I wanted to build (or buy) a mid-century modern or modern type home? I looked at six or seven Benders Creek and Old Town Katy homes and they all look somewhat the same...

Thinking something like these:

These are beautiful. Are these random pics from the internet or did you actually see these homes somewhere in Katy or Benders Creek?

I too would love to build something like this around The Woodlands, Conroe, Shenandoah area, but I want to be zoned to The Woodland schools.

Any suggestions where to look for 0.5 or 1 acre land? Budget +/- $700k (including lot and building cost).

Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notkim View Post
These are beautiful. Are these random pics from the internet or did you actually see these homes somewhere in Katy or Benders Creek?

I too would love to build something like this around The Woodlands, Conroe, Shenandoah area, but I want to be zoned to The Woodland schools.

Any suggestions where to look for 0.5 or 1 acre land? Budget +/- $700k (including lot and building cost).
get a map of the attendance zones for the schools you are interested in, then look for property for sale in those areas.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:08 PM

203 posts, read 253,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
get a map of the attendance zones for the schools you are interested in, then look for property for sale in those areas.

I did that, I looked at all the homes in The Woodlands, but I am not seeing anything that I like. I will be posting a thread of my own, but just cannot think of a "title" for my thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston