U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:46 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,979,079 times

Advertisements

The title of this thread made me laugh and think of Will Ferrell doing Harry Caray-- "It's a simple question: would you eat the moon if it were made of ribs?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 PM

70 posts, read 93,173 times
Snakes are more afraid of us than we are of them, well at least most of us. They try to avoid us. My father was in New Guinea during WWII. There were many, many seriously dangerous snakes there. One (idiot) got bit. That was because he played with them according to my father. Everyone with one exception that I know of who was snake bit was snake bit because he/she messed with them. The one exception was a woman I met in Wimberly, TX in 1965 when I was 10 years old. She showed me the dead skin marks wher a rattle snake bit her as she got out of a car in a darkened parking lot. That was neat to a 10 year old boy. The best advice I've heard is when I was a Boy Scout which was watch where you put your hands and feet and don't play with them. If your in the water splash around a lot and they will get out of your way.

Farm dogs get bit a lot. They get sick for a while, but seldom die even with no treatment. I've never heard of one dying and my grandfather and uncles farmed a lot in TX, AR, and OK.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:00 PM

530 posts, read 1,375,198 times
Living in Spring, I'd see them fairly often, but that area was heavily wooded until they started knocking down every single tree recently to throw up cracker jack houses in the 90's to 120's. But, there was a big greenbelt behind us with a lake and when I bought the house it had a plastic pond w/ fish in it... we had snakes in there eating the fish. Scary.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,359 times
I hate hearing from people who kill snakes as a matter of course. Do you REALLY think you're putting a dent in the snake population? For every rattlesnake you kill, there are 100 you never see.

If you are that freakin afraid of venom, go out and kill bees instead. They kill far more people every year than do snakes.

With that out of the way, there are almost no snakebite fatalities on an anuual (or even a decade) basis in Texas. Most serious injuries stem from people trying to handle rattlesnakes (as attested to the number of bites that occur on hands and fingers). Copperheads are the most common in southeast Texas, and they are not lethal.

My sister lives out in the country near Anderson, Texas, 100 miles north of Houston, and regularly encounters copperheads in her yard. Her reaction? Shoo them away to keep her dogs from killing them. The fact of the matter is that a copperhead is far more likely to "freeze" in response to seeing you than to become aggressive.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:51 PM

2,908 posts, read 5,002,940 times
Do you feel better after replying to a nearly three year old thread?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:38 AM

189 posts, read 131,339 times
Question We are afraid, very afraid..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Do you feel better after replying to a nearly three year old thread?

LOL, I feel "better" by bumping this thread of 5 years. I'm another one of those Josey ppl finding my way to Texas. I love Texas but I have a real snake phobia since early childhood. For some reason I've always been obsessed and fascinated with snakes, even though I wasborn and raised in Moscow (USSR), and saw snakes only in different Zoo's. Is there any way to avoid these creatures at all if one does not live in remote area or by the water? I really don't want to be in the situation o having to kill one simple out of close to irrational fear. My wife and kids are not big fans of snakes and scorpions either. i'd rather avoid contact than harm these creatures....if i can. Please tell me that's it's possible to live in Texas and not deal w/ snakes?

Thank You all.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 AM

7,352 posts, read 8,071,109 times
Lived here for 39 years. Have yet to see my first, outside of the zoo.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 AM

189 posts, read 131,339 times
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Lived here for 39 years. Have yet to see my first, outside of the zoo.

Thank You very much cheryjohns, believe it or not this could be a deal breaker on otherwise really a done deal decision. We live in the Northern NJ and are "spared" here for the most part, unless you really venture far, far out in the woods, I guess.Then of course, here in Joysy land we have to be on look out for "two-legged" snakes LOL . This is our first private house where we live now, but I owned properties before in NY. Condo/coop etc in apt buildings. We don't mind it at all as long as in the safe area w/ good schools.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 AM

7,352 posts, read 8,071,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
Thank You very much cheryjohns, believe it or not this could be a deal breaker on otherwise really a done deal decision. We live in the Northern NJ and are "spared" here for the most part, unless you really venture far, far out in the woods, I guess.Then of course, here in Joysy land we have to be on look out for "two-legged" snakes LOL . This is our first private house where we live now, but I owned properties before in NY. Condo/coop etc in apt buildings. We don't mind it at all as long as in the safe area w/ good schools.
Just got schooled on coops (we don't have them here). Thank you, crone.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM

350 posts, read 329,822 times
This may buy you a free beer...Ask someone how many poisonous snakes there are in Texas (or US). Answer: 0. There are venomous snakes in TX, but none that are poisonous. Yes, there's a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston