Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 11:32 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
Matadora, I'm with you on this one.
His post was sensational, and purposely made for people to panic. A lot is going on, flooding all over, but his post was hoax, and he knew it. It's not even about if his post was right or wrong, we don't need people panicking and doing crazy things because of it.

People need to stay calm, at least calm enough to think clearly and asset their situations and decide what to do, whatever is best outcome in their situation.
Posts like that don't help anyone. That was the reason I didn't like his post.
I'm not siding one way or the other on this...

but if he believes in a certain prediction, what's wrong with him sharing it? Is he responsible for the reactions of others?

If you are going to say that his post could stir up panic, wouldn't it also be fair to say that those who downplayed the threat could cause people not not prepare themselves properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I do since I was about to hop on a plane to ride it out with my mother. It matters that it does not incite panic and fear in others.
It was not even close to being accurate. There were many false claims and I have already pointed them out.
I guess you don't remember when Allison hit?
I was on vacation at my parents' house when Allison hit.

In the end, whatever predictions people make, no one knows what's going to happen. So I am not going to give him a hard time for making a prediction. Those who poo-poo'ed his post also made a prediction that it wasn't going to be bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 11:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I like where I live in North Houston
But one difference between the house I bought in San Antonio that was built in 2010 and where I live here in Houston (built in 2006) is the height of the foundation

Seems like every other house in our neighborhood had to have French Drains installed
The one in San Antonio was the opposite, the foundation was very high
Foundations are more expensive if done correctly than French drains
Foundations are not something people see--like ornate trim out, higher level plumbing fixtures like10 jet shower systems...
People don't like to pay for something they can't really "see" or have their friends notice when they come over...
And some areas of SA have major issues w/ground faults and elevation stress on lots in subdivisions built on limestone...they need engineered piered beam foundations ...not just tension slab...

Talk to people flooded out from Sandy about having to rebuild on piers...
Some of them are still being screwed by their insurance companies trying to stiff them on damage assessment/coverage...

Old 08-27-2017, 11:35 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm glad your mother is OK and I pray that her luck continues to hold. Meanwhile, some of us have friends and family who are stranded in the Houston area in flooded properties and neighborhoods.
Thank you and yes I am sorry that there are people who are stranded and who will lose their homes and some their lives. It's never a good event when heavy rains from Hurricanes and Tropical Depressions hit Houston. It's a very sad event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
One of my friends was absolutely determined to stick it out and now she's scrambling to try to find someone with a truck big enough to drive through the flooded neighborhood to get her and her two pets. I sure do hope she can get out.
I hope your friend finds a way out and is safe in the process!

My thoughts are with everyone in Houston!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Matadora, I'm with you on this one.
His post was sensational, and purposely made for people to panic. A lot is going on, flooding all over, but his post was hoax, and he knew it. It's not even about if his post was right or wrong, we don't need people panicking and doing crazy things because of it.
Thank you! Yes inciting panic in folks is the last thing one needs to do in a situation like this!

Quote:
People need to stay calm, at least calm enough to think clearly and asset their situations and decide what to do, whatever is best outcome in their situation.
Posts like that don't help anyone. That was the reason I didn't like his post.
Agreed. I lived all of my life in Houston and have experienced some pretty bad storms...the last thing people need is to be filled with panic and fear.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
SITUATION OVERVIEW
------------------

A catastrophic and life-threatening flash flooding event is unfolding across Southeast Texas this morning. Many Flash Flood Emergencies have already been issued for the Houston Metro area overnight, some of which remain in effect this morning.

Bands of heavy rainfall will continue to drop devastating amounts of ADDITIONAL rainfall across the area over the next several days.

Tornadoes have also been occurring across Southeast Texas over the last day or so and will continue through the next several days.

Coastal flooding may be an ongoing issue along the coast where winds will continue to push water onshore, particularly south of Sargent. Elevated tides will cause the recession of coastal flood waters to be slow, likely lasting into the first part of the week.

Wind gusts to tropical storm force are still ongoing, primarily in the southwestern portions of the area towards Matagorda Bay. Though there are currently multiple hazards present across the area, the greatest threat to life and property remains the ongoing extreme rainfall and subsequent prolonged and catastrophic flash flooding.
Local Statement for Harvey (Houston / Galveston, TX)

This doesn't need any exaggerating.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Those who poo-poo'ed his post also made a prediction that it wasn't going to be bad.
Well I never made any such prediction.

I like to keep it real and keeping it real means you don't make predictions on unpredictable weather! Harvey’s forecast track remains difficult to perfectly pin down, but a general drift south and east through Tuesday before it finally starts lifting north Wednesday and Thursday.

You analyze it as a scientist would. You look at the facts and the real time data.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Imagine the worst--prepare for that
And hope for the best...

Heard reporter stalking to several Harvey victims in Gulf Coast impact area ...not Houston
And several of them didn't evacuate because they said they could not afford to so they stayed and had to be rescued...
Better preparation in opening shelters and encouraging people to evacuate with pets would have been helpful maybe
i think like most big emergencies authorities were hesitant to pull the trigger in big way...

But some people just think they are bulletproof...

Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
What I meant was that before people in a low lying area maybe had street flooding before but no water in homes...they didn't think it would get this bad...
This much rain has flood up to the roofs of homes...

To say this is just more of the same type of flooding Houston has had before is trying to ignore reality of the massive damage being inflicted...
And one poster does keep saying that it isn't that much different from past situations...
That's not what I said at all. This is typical flooding for Houston considering the type of storm it is and the amount of rain it brought with it. I have seen this type of flooding throughout my life in Houston with these types of storms. You should have seen the flood damage Allison brought to Houston...it was truly catastrophic and I hope this will not repeat itself with Harvey.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think is ridiculous that this things happen
And then there ZERO talk about improving drainage/creeks/bayous

True, is not going to fix the whole city
But it reduces the areas that flood
ZERO talk? There are projects done and in progress:
http://www.projectbrays.org/press-ro...eyerland-area/
https://www.wired.com/story/how-will...ricane-harvey/ (read this?)
Houston has one of the most sophisticated networks of gauges in the country. But we are talking about 30-40" of rain in a short time. No drainage system can handle that. The rainfall greatly exceeded any design standard for the street system: ReBuild Houston, the old system, and exceeded any expectation for the bayou systems to contain water. Certainly, there is no quick way to replace Houston's more than 8,000 miles of roadway.
The Brays Bayou improvement project, originally scheduled to be completed last year, has been pushed to 2021 amid federal funding delays and land acquisition challenges, among other problems.

https://spacecityweather.com/houston...bune-flooding/

Residents against flooding:
RESIDENTS AGAINST FLOODING <<< good read and you could be part of it.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:48 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
The fact that the ground level around the Houston Metro area has subsided up to 10 or 11 feet since 1920 because of ground water pumping. Some areas have subsided 2' in just 20 years.

For years, the Houston area has been losing ground - Houston Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston