Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 12:57 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

Having lived through and prolly the only person here to have lost a house in Carla, comparing storms is a fools errand.

Storms have similarities and differences. Time, amounts of rain yada yada.

The difference is Houston and Harris county.

It has grown. Sure more people have been affected because there is a helluva lot more people and concrete. That widespread flooding was not much noticed when the rain fell on prairie and rice farms.

Storm assessments in the 70s predicted a Carla like storm would put 15 feet of water in 1 Shell Plaza.

Subsidence and permitting any fool with money to build whatever they damn well pleased also contributed to creating this problem. We are too far gone to resolve it now. Enjoy your cheap housing and low taxes.

When technology replaces the need for so much fossil fuel, Houston will be a ghost town anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 12:58 PM

130 posts, read 532,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Of course it's a disaster and no one is downplaying it. However, shame on anyone who is over exaggerating it.
No that is not what the person said. The person said it was a big disaster and that is what the news is reporting. Shame on those trying to make this out - the flooding and storm - as typical when it is far from typical.

Shame.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 PM

130 posts, read 532,689 times
FEMA director - this is probably the worst disaster in Texas history

Harvey probably worst disaster in Texas history.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:02 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I agree with your comment about climate change...

But I don't think any city could handle 40 inches of rain w/o a great deal of flooding
But you have said this flooding is similar to what happened with other hurricanes...
I think, from what I have read and heard on news, that areas that have flooded in past are flooding worse under these conditions...

AND Harvey is not a hurricane, no high winds---just big tropical storm with VERY slow-moving rain bands...

How long did the rain last for the storms you mention? What was total rain fall on any given day?
You can look up the stats for all the events I lived through in Houston.

Allison was the worst flooding I have even experienced in Houston. I lost a car to that storm.

The tunnels in downtown Houston were completely filled up. The UH campus underground food court was completely destroyed...I was a student at UH when this occurred. The Texas Medical Center were evacuating very sick patients even some on life support. Many of the research labs in the TMC lost all their experimental data.

Downtown Houston was inundated with flooding, causing severe damage to hospitals and businesses. Twenty-three people died in Texas. Along its entire path, Allison caused $9 billion (2001 USD) in damage and 41 deaths. The storm dropped heavy rainfall along its path, peaking at over 40 inches in Texas. The worst flooding occurred in Houston, where most of Allison's damage occurred: 30,000 became homeless after the storm flooded over 70,000 houses and destroyed 2,744 homes

You can read about it here. Tropical Storm Allison.

We lived close to Galveston in 1983 when Alicia hit. We almost lost our house and we had no power or running water for 7 days.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When all that is done Houston would stop being affordable, and cost of living would resemble SF or NY.
People want changes and improvements, but don't want to pay for it....
The reason why Houston is affordable is because it doesn't have any infrastructure to deal with events like this because Texas is a low taxes, low services state. In essence, you get what you pay for.

After this, people will do one of these things:
* rebuild and repeat this cycle
* sell their house and buy in a higher less flood prone area
* elevate their current house above Harvey flood line
* decide they've had it with the Houston climate and settle somewhere else

These decisions happened to New Orleans after Katrina and it caused places like Marigny to skyrocket in value while places like Gentilly declined in value whereas it was opposite before the storm. It also caused many people to leave New Orleans.

There will be a reckoning in Houston.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:05 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Pumping stations need to be installed at all low water underpasses.
My first job was with a pumping station company so I know a lot about them
With that being said .... dream on

Grand Parkway has one underpass at FM2920 because Hooks Airport is right next to it
Guess what happened the first time it rained... the underpass flooded, 2 months after the Grand Parkway opened

Old 08-27-2017, 01:08 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
What stats did I cite? All I said, that everyone seems to want to deny, is that Houston experiences heavy floods whenever certain types of Hurricanes/Tropical storms hit it....this is 100% predictable. Houston can't handle the heavy rains that come from storms like Alicia, Ike, Allison and now Harvey.
That's not what's at debate here. Harvey just very well may be the worst weather event to hit Texas. This does not negate anything that I have posted. Storms are becoming worse and worse due to climate change.
Any place located near sea level experiences this. It could be New Orleans or the NYC area with Sandy.

As for storms being worse, prove it. Quantify it. It's easy to toss this out, but they aren't hitting the US any more often "due to climate change" as it is.

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
No that is not what the person said. The person said it was a big disaster and that is what the news is reporting.
Do try to keep up with what's being posted.

Shame on a person who tried to over exaggerate this storm by posting a hoax full of inaccuracies. Harris County Judge Ed Emmett was one of the first to react to the email, which he says is inaccurate. County officials are further asking people stop sharing the false information on social media, KHOU reported.

Emmett assured residents the city is prepared for the storm, regardless of how much rain falls.

“There’s no number,” he said in an interview with the Houston Chronicle. “All you can do is be prepared for unheard of amounts of rain."

As Hurricane Harvey approaches, Houston officials warn of hoax claims

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Having lived through and prolly the only person here to have lost a house in Carla, comparing storms is a fools errand.

Storms have similarities and differences. Time, amounts of rain yada yada.

The difference is Houston and Harris county.

It has grown. Sure more people have been affected because there is a helluva lot more people and concrete. That widespread flooding was not much noticed when the rain fell on prairie and rice farms.

Storm assessments in the 70s predicted a Carla like storm would put 15 feet of water in 1 Shell Plaza.

Subsidence and permitting any fool with money to build whatever they damn well pleased also contributed to creating this problem. We are too far gone to resolve it now. Enjoy your cheap housing and low taxes.

When technology replaces the need for so much fossil fuel, Houston will be a ghost town anyway.
In a sense, Houston made this bed and now they have to lie in it.

Flood infrastructure needs to be the first area of concern in Houston. Not tollways, not landing the Super Bowl, not attracting new businesses. They need to focus on retention and detention ponds, pumping stations, expanding greenbelt areas around bayour, etc...

If not, Houston will cease to be a great city. There have been floods every 6 months it seems. Citizens can't live like that...

Old 08-27-2017, 01:09 PM

11 posts, read 9,051 times
Venturing over from the NYC forum

I hope everyone is doing okay, I have relatives in the houston area and it looks really bad. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston