Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 PM

352 posts, read 778,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
FYI: If your home is in a FEMA disaster area, you may be able to skip mortgage payments up to 90 days with no penalties, though it's all still due at the end of that 90 days. Other mortgage help may be available as well. Talk to your lender.
Yes I did this today however your 90 days that you skipped will become due as a lump sum at the end of the 90 days my mortgage company told me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
The mortgage deferral is like the IRS extensions of time to file. Just deferring the inevitable (paying & filing). A casualty loss can be claimed though, and all should make sure they document everything to claim what insurance doesn't cover.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:20 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
As for storms being worse, prove it. Quantify it.
Perhaps you can read a published paper on this subject.

Sea-level rise caused by climate change and its implications for society

I now know why my mom's neighborhood survived. I was just texting her next door neighbor, he told me that a few years ago the area they live in had all old drainage pipes removed and replaced with giant sized pipes. They also received new electric transformers. This explains a lot to me. She did not experience flooding nor did she lose power. No one in her neighborhood did.

Such a tragic situation for many in Houston. My heart breaks seeing the damage and lives who have been hurt by this.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:53 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
It was reported that 80% of the victims have no flood insurance and will need help from the government to rebuild.

The homeowners, not the taxpayers, should be held responsible for the damages. If my home in New York was destroyed but I hadn't bothered buying home owners insurance, nobody would rebuild my home for me. Why are those on the flooded coast better than me? How smart is it to live on the coast and not have flood insurance?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It was reported that 80% of the victims have no flood insurance and will need help from the government to rebuild.

The homeowners, not the taxpayers, should be held responsible for the damages. If my home in New York was destroyed but I hadn't bothered buying home owners insurance, nobody would rebuild my home for me. Why are those on the flooded coast better than me? How smart is it to live on the coast and not have flood insurance?
Really? This is very insensitive of you.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:11 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Blame in a large part Corporate America. Choosing Texas because it does not tax Corporations. So they move and expand there and No Zoning to keep sprawling even in fold plains on slabs ground-level.

Of course aid will come and rebuilt new. Still old homes in need in the North and jobs that left will not be addressed. Its a two edged sword of understanding yet ..... blame and how uneven society is.... in the end our humanity shows compassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Some comments accuse without seeing that .... despite our compassion..... how uneven our states are in growth vs stagnation due to Corporate America choices and taxation over decades creates such unevenness. Again..... compassion wins despite what powers that are chose for us and how Northerners are in a need to go where Corporate America steers them...... but some regions were not the better choice. Then some gain some resentment.

Last edited by DavePa; 08-29-2017 at 11:20 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:14 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
If you look at that poster's posts in this thread, it's not surprise.

Some people, instead of trying to help (donate) or send positive thoughts, they rather be snarky s on the internet.

Guess it's just too hard for people to keep their mouths shut in a time like this.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:46 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Blame in a large part Corporate America. Choosing Texas because it does not tax Corporations. So they move and expand there and No Zoning to keep sprawling even in fold plains on slabs ground-level.

Of course aid will come and rebuilt new. Still old homes in need in the North and jobs that left will not be addressed. Its a two edged sword of understanding yet ..... blame and how uneven society is.... in the end our humanity shows compassion.

Some comments accuse without seeing that .... despite our compassion..... how uneven our states are in growth vs stagnation due to Corporate America choices and taxation over decades creates such unevenness. Again..... compassion wins despite what powers that are chose for us and how Northerners are in a need to go where Corporate America steers them...... but some regions were not the better choice. Then some gain some resentment.
No zoning is not the driver of corporate america in Houston.

It's the location to the refineries, oil wells, and the industries that support them. Outside of the energy and chemical industry, there are few Fortune 500 companies based in Houston.

Last edited by move4ward; 08-30-2017 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 09:16 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Damn. They talking about another storm possibly forming at the same location as this storm next Tuesday on TWC

Old 08-30-2017, 09:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...atlantic-ocean

But no threat from climate change
This is something we see all the time...right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston