Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,059,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
If you watch news, outsiders think 80% of Houston is under water.
Ain't that the truth. All the out-of-staters have apocalyptic images from watching CNN and Weather Channel. So far so good, no water in the houses of any of my family's homes. Streets are flooded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,539,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
1. It is not easy to evacuate a region of millions of people. There are not enough busses and shelters for that many people.

2. Evacuating is not risk-free. Over 100 people died during the evacuation for Hurricane Rita.

3. High winds were never a threat to Houston area in this storm.

4. Evacuate where? This storm is so widespread that any areas within 3 hours of Houston are also affected.
Anyway,

A parking lot outside the walmart somewhere else (I using this as just an example, I know there are many logistics)

I'm am watching the new like everyone else. there was a picture of 4 kids sleeping on top of their kitchen counter, one kid on a battery pack respiratory and my heart just broke (they did say the kids were rescued and fine) but I did question, why didn't anyone pack up and get out of dodge?t me

let me say this, I've never been in the disaster region of a storm, I live near the Jersey shore (hurricane Sandy) but I was inland far enough not to be in danger so I fully admit to armchair quarter backing but Idon't mess with Mother nature. Hurricane level 2 or more I'm outta town.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 AM

45,266 posts, read 26,764,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe because the 3650 days one isn't flooded are enough to make up for the 1 day they are. Even at this moment, 80-90% of Houstonians are not flooded. And no one is taking a canoe to work.
I think that 80-90% estimate is a little high.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:36 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,521,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
If you watched TV, it has been nonstop news concerning the hurricane. One woman in the area where Harvey made landfall said they couldn't afford to leave. It takes money for gas, a motel or you stay in your car, and food, etc.

The unpredictablity of Harvey made it hard to decide which way to evacuate.

I've heard people say they are staying to protect their belongings from looters.
This is what any person who has lived on the coast has to think of during a potential hurricane. If you are in an area that historically has been safe even during storm surge, it may not make sense to evacuate with limited funds, just to come back to no real danger. My mom had to make this decision a few times in Virginia, most recently with Isabel in 03. Harvey is just an unusual storm that stayed far longer than people thought and it would have raised hell in any coastal city with flooding.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,050,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I think that 80-90% estimate is a little high.
If anything, it is low. There are 4 million people in the region and we are talking about thousands of people who have had homes flooded, not hundreds of thousands. Here's a statement just now from a local newspaper. "CenterPoint serves 2.4 million customers in Houston, more than 97 percent of whom still have power."

Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 AM

18,042 posts, read 25,061,271 times
1) I'm 100% that the two big box stores down my street would flood before my house floods
2) One of my neighbors told me that last year, with the Memorial Day floodings, was the first time in 10 years that he saw water getting all the way up to the sidewalk

only reason to evacuate would be a direct hit

Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM

45,266 posts, read 26,764,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We tried to evacuate for Rita in 2005. It took 16 hours of "driving" to get to what normally takes 1.5 hours. We ended up shacked in a church for 3 days in Corrigan, TX. Unless I am certain we are taking a direct hit, I'm not doing that again.

Otherwise plan ahead and don't live in areas that are quick to flood.

Yes... we stopped at a checkpoint because we were getting low. Everything was organized until some people started trying to cut the line and chaos took place. I subconsciously blocked that out of my memory until you brought that up.

What ended up happening was a bunch of us at this church collected money and found a gas station that had gas available. I think we got around 300 dollars worth in a huge drum. That's how we got out of there.
I posted this yesterday and just recalled that I had heard some news about us being in that church, and I found an article on it.

Hurricane Rita Evacuees pleas for help ignored in Corrigan Texas. Minority Church to the rescue

Old 08-28-2017, 12:44 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,647,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
Please help me to understand why some people decided to hunker down during the hurricane instead of evacuating. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, both good and bad. Were there options for those who could not afford to leave? Were there free buses to take people to faraway shelters? Would they be provided free food and water while away? Were they offered free transportation back home? Were private citizens offering to transport people in need of rides? I'm trying to answer my daughter's questions.

If I were able to leave the area but chose not to, I would not be able to look my family in the eye if they were now in harms way because of my actions, or should I say inaction? I'm sure they would also lose respect for me. I will say that until recently I was caring for my elderly Dad with dementia. Towards the end he was pretty much comatose in my home. I do not know how I could have evacuated in that instance.
Respect? So your pride is what matters most? There are lots of reasons why people don't go. Some maybe right and some wrong but being proud and dead is just stupid.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:50 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,960,668 times
We stayed and thankfully are fine. We all remember Rita and that cluster you know what. We can't get to work without gridlock. Evacuating everyone? Nah.

I do think this should be a wakeup on all the live in Braeswood/Meyerland posts here. Yes this doesn't happen all the time but that is flood central. Avoid rivers and bayous and lake living in a city like this.

Anyone down there is asking for it. North, east and west, we fair better. If you're still within the Loop or in that Braeswood area upset well....duh.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,298,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Plus the fact that the mayor of Houston did not order an evacuation - he remembered what happened with the last two hurricanes that hit the area.
Me personally, I don't need an official to tell me whether to evacuate. I would have left to somewhere a day's ride away in any direction. A couple hours distance is never enough for a hurricane. I grew up in Florida, so I'm used to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston