Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times

Advertisements

Gallery Furniture store turns into Houston shelter - CNN

furniture store owner is offering his showrooms as shelters.

Quick thinking, savvy business owner.

Everyone will need new furniture after the chaos subsides, and who will they think of ? ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
That is not why Mac opens his stores. He did it to help Houston when there was a need. And it's not just this storm that he's donated and helped out. He's been doing this for years. It wasn't just one store, it was a couple. They opened up a restaurant next door to the Gallery Furniture in Richmond to feed the 300 people sheltered thee. So they have hot meals. And yes they have mattresses to sleep on but the manager said Mac asked for more mattresses to be brought in. It's a safe place to shelter and that's all that matters.

Now I've only stepped in Gallery Furniture once or twice. But I do know Mac does a lot for the community. He does it because he can and he works tirelessly at it.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:55 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
It's the uninformed and quick-to-judge who are ready to bad-mouth the owner (Jim McKingvale). Even in the midst of so much good, the rotten stench of man and judgement comes forward to reek and burn our noses. Poo-poo on the OP. Shame.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-30-2017 at 06:57 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 06:49 PM

165 posts, read 196,674 times
What about the vast majority of Churches that didn't open their doors?

Old 08-30-2017, 06:53 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iberanon View Post
What about the vast majority of Churches that didn't open their doors?
Why don't you share what your personal contribution to assist others has been?

......exactly. nada.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
That is not why Mac opens his stores. He did it to help Houston when there was a need. And it's not just this storm that he's donated and helped out. He's been doing this for years. It wasn't just one store, it was a couple. They opened up a restaurant next door to the Gallery Furniture in Richmond to feed the 300 people sheltered thee. So they have hot meals. And yes they have mattresses to sleep on but the manager said Mac asked for more mattresses to be brought in. It's a safe place to shelter and that's all that matters.

Now I've only stepped in Gallery Furniture once or twice. But I do know Mac does a lot for the community. He does it because he can and he works tirelessly at it.
Yes you are spot on about Mattress Mac! He has done a lot for Houston and has done so for many many years!

Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 PM

203 posts, read 253,294 times
So you don't help you get criticized (which is understandable...think Lakewood Church). But you help, and still people question your intentions ??!!

What matters is that he helped in a time of dire need in a timely way. He did not open his doors after being lashed at. It takes alot of courage to do what he did. Imagine the loss he will have to take to his inventory in the store that he opened.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Mattress Mack is a hero in the eyes of Houstonians -- and has been for many years. His love of, and concern for, Houston is well-known. He's the closest thing to a saint that this city, or any city, has.

Last edited by TFW46; 08-30-2017 at 07:16 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Mattress Mack is not only offering shelter to those affected by Harvey, he's also giving them free breakfasts, lunches and dinners.

As the article linked below explains, he puts his Christianity on the line every day. He's given away free housefuls of furniture to multiple needy families every Christmas for the past 20 years. He also donates to charities and offered shelter to 200 Katrina evacuees in 2005.

I signed the below-linked petition to name August 26 "Mattress Mack Day" in Houston. I dont usually get involved in things like this -- but it would be a small way to say "thank you" to a man whose generosity is unparalleled.

https://www.change.org/p/houston-mat...ack-day-aug-26

Petition calls for 'Mattress Mack Day' in Houston | khou.com

Old 08-31-2017, 12:11 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Why don't you share what your personal contribution to assist others has been?
......exactly. nada.
Why so defensive?
My church opened their doors right away to collect and sort donations before being taken to shelters
I went and helped remove sheet work from a house that had 3 feet of water (37")

Can I criticize the churches that could open and didn't open?
Because I know all of them couldn't do it, I saw one in my area that was completely flooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston