Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:47 PM

363 posts, read 557,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think they probably already have a short list of 2 or 3 cities. Chicago is probably one since they have already been talking to them. Don't know who else.
Yeah, Chicago seems to have a leg up on everyone else now that their inside discussions were revealed.

I would say Boston & DC as someone else commented earlier should be high on the list. Maybe even Atlanta. It would be smart for them to be near a busy port authority like Chi/Bos/DC. Which is why i thought Houston would have been on the shortlist Pre-Harvey.

Inner areas like Kansas, Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin or Memphis don't have a prayer and wasting their money bidding. I also think Sacramento, Los Angeles (so damn thirsty) and San Diego need to stop because it won't be there either, would be self defeating for Amazon to create another HQ on the WestCoast yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 02:58 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post
People relocate for jobs all of the time. If Amazon chose to put their HQ in Houston they wouldn't have a issue filling the positions, people would just move here for the jobs. I'm not sure why people are a acting as if potential job candidates could only come from Texas and surrounding states.
You're right, I wouldn't mind moving from Houston to Katy if I worked at Amazon.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:45 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
Amazon stipulates that it wants skilled tech labor in the area. That's their stipulation and even though I'm sure we have a fair amount of that here, we aren't known for it even as much as Austin or Dallas are. Amazon also stipulates that they want good public transportation, which we don't even come close to having. We don't even have a reliable form of public transportation from our airports to downtown. It's an irony that so many in industry here have discouraged public transportation as "bad for business."

Old 09-10-2017, 03:52 PM

348 posts, read 459,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Why all the talk about universities, and college educated people? The majority are going to work in a warehouse. I've sat by amd chatted with Rice students at the Ginger Man... these Rice kids did not seem to be the warehouse type to me, but I could be wrong.
The majority of who? We're talking about a second HQ for Amazon, not about their warehouses.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:53 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Yeah, Chicago seems to have a leg up on everyone else now that their inside discussions were revealed.

I would say Boston & DC as someone else commented earlier should be high on the list. Maybe even Atlanta. It would be smart for them to be near a busy port authority like Chi/Bos/DC. Which is why i thought Houston would have been on the shortlist Pre-Harvey.

Inner areas like Kansas, Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin or Memphis don't have a prayer and wasting their money bidding. I also think Sacramento, Los Angeles (so damn thirsty) and San Diego need to stop because it won't be there either, would be self defeating for Amazon to create another HQ on the WestCoast yet again.
Im scratching my head as to why Houston would be on a short list but DFW wouldnt have a prayer? When it comes to businesses that are not energy related, DFW does a far better job attracting them than Houston.

That said, regardless of Harvey or not, neither was going to be in the running here based on the criteria.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:25 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
The majority of who? We're talking about a second HQ for Amazon, not about their warehouses.
Correct. They said average salary of $100k+ per year. Amazon pays well (outside of the warehouses)

Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Because that is all we would get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
The entire nation is competing for this supposed 2nd headquarters. If it were up to me, all things being equal, I'd go for a place that is not flat, hot and humid, and mosquito ridden. Preferably a cooler climate. But what they will most likely end up building around Houston is a warehouse.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM

115 posts, read 228,156 times
Quote:
The entire nation is competing for this supposed 2nd headquarters. If it were up to me, all things being equal, I'd go for a place that is not flat, hot and humid, and mosquito ridden. Preferably a cooler climate. But what they will most likely end up building around Houston is a warehouse.
luckily, Amazon won't make a major business decision based on weather and scenery. They'll go where they'll get tax breaks and have access to a tech savvy workforce.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:45 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
They already have three giant warehouses here. Well Humble, Katy and Greenspoint area.

Quote:

Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsk112 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011

I saw the discussion in the Hacker News as well, but nobody seems to give Houston any chance.

Austin forum also has a discussion about it.

Is it possible? What could Houston offer? Or do Houstonians even want the Amazon Headquarters here?

I'm a customer of Amazon. With that said our service in Katy is awful. In the last few years Amazon has resorted to the Post Office. Almost every single delivery is delayed. And delivery goes through Stafford - Which has been impacted with Harvey. So my thought is no, they won't come to Houston. They need somewhere high and dry and not impacted by our hurricane season. I mean your talking deliveries and distribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston