Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:26 AM

268 posts, read 239,672 times

Advertisements

If you're seriously going to get married then get married and he can get status that way. If you're not sure, then he can visit and not work AND needs to leave when it is time. If he's caught working - and all it takes is one person to tell - then I wouldn't plan on getting married if you want to live in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Illegal migrants don't speak the language, most likely didn't finish high school, and commit crime.

Give me a break.
LOL. This is a pretty entitled attitude. Basically, you think that someone who speaks English, and comes from a middle class or better background is exempt from immigration laws. Global free movement for white, middle class people. This would make my life easier too, but that's not how it works.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
All I'm asking is how hard it is to find temporary work that doesn't require papers.
It's impossible to do that legally. End of story. Illegal for the visitor, illegal for the employer. You may not like that answer, but just because you think the guy is great, yadda, yadda, yadda, doesn't mean he can come here and legally work.

Read this site, there may be a visa type that meets the requirements you describe for a temporary visitor to work https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en.html

Old 09-30-2017, 10:20 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,119 times
Quote:
I'm an attorney.
LOLOL

Old 09-30-2017, 05:51 PM

348 posts, read 460,205 times
What visa does he intend to use to come over? Are you going through the K-1 route? Why not just follow that strictly https://www.uscis.gov/family/k-1-process-step-step
There's no reason to unnecessarily put yourselves in a situation where things could turn out badly.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
You need to marry him first , then you can sponsor his visa as his wife. Maybe 6-8 month wait. thats what my coworker said he did to bring over his Russian wife.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:24 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,740 times
Quote:
How do I have the nerves? He's coming here legally and I'm making him legal. He just needs some temporary work for a few months while we wait for his permanent residency to process. He speaks fluent English, has a university degree, and wants to continue his education -- we need more people in our country like him. Illegal migrants don't speak the language, most likely didn't finish high school, and commit crime.

Give me a break.
Yeah OK. He will lose his ‘legal’ status the second he starts work without employment authorization. The vast majority of illegal immigrants in this country came here legally, and then just didn’t leave once their status ran out. Your boyfriend will be one of them apparently.

I’d love to hear what the bar thinks about you knowingly attempting to assist someone in breaking immigration law.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
He speaks fluent English, has a university degree, and wants to continue his education -- we need more people in our country like him. Illegal migrants don't speak the language, most likely didn't finish high school, and commit crime.

Give me a break.
Some of the hardest workers I've seen, can barely speak english
Some of the laziest people I've seen, grew up here and speak English perfect

Old 09-30-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I know that it's going to be hard for him to just sit around and do nothing for half a year... Any Houston folk have ideas?
Volunteer with a church or charity to help flood victims fix their houses or volunteer at a shelter. He can still be productive, he just can't do paid work.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Anyone have any experience? My boyfriend is Ukrainian and coming to live with me for a few months. I have a feeling that we're going to get married at some point so we'll be going through the process of legalization but that'll take at least half a year to process. I know that it's going to be hard for him to just sit around and do nothing for half a year, and he does have a bachelors degree so it'd be ideal to find him some work. He can tutor russian language on the side but he'll need a full time job. Any Houston folk have ideas?
He can help with the Russia investigation thats going on for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: