U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:52 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,333,222 times

Advertisements

With recent focus on tax reform, I've come to realize that many in the Houston metro pay exhorbitantly high property taxes.

The TX state average is not the highest state average in the nation, but many homeowners in Houston metro MPCs pay well in excess of the highest state average property tax. Many here pay a whopping 3-4% in property taxes!!

Why are property taxes so high here?

With recent increase in property values, we pay a lot more in property tax alone than in principal, mortgage interest, and insurance combined.

If proposed tax plan passes that eliminates property tax deduction and personal exemptions, I can imagine many hardworking Houston area middle and upper middle class families, especially those with children, will pay thousands more a year in federal income tax. That will hit us hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 03:48 PM

357 posts, read 395,762 times
From what I've always been told it's due to Texans not paying state tax and your property values being so low.

I live in California and our properties are incredibly high but our property taxes are lower than Houston, I think.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,982,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
With recent focus on tax reform, I've come to realize that many in the Houston metro pay exhorbitantly high property taxes.

The TX state average is not the highest state average in the nation, but many homeowners in Houston metro MPCs pay well in excess of the highest state average property tax. Many here pay a whopping 3-4% in property taxes!!

With recent increase in property values, we pay a lot more in property tax alone than in principal, mortgage interest, and insurance combined.

If proposed tax plan passes that eliminates property tax deduction and personal exemptions, I can imagine many hardworking Houston area middle and upper middle class families, especially those with children, will pay thousands more a year in federal income tax. That will hit us hard.
Losing a property tax deduction would be a huge blow. But I'll feel better knowing that the 1% can fly on their private jets more often. I'm sure it will eventually trickle down.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,687,281 times
No income state taxes in Texas ..... hell yeah!!!!!!

Want to know who gets screwed?
Senior citizens when they retire and have to keep on paying high property taxes.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:21 PM

3,507 posts, read 7,057,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post

Houston residents are a corrupt politician's dream, you can start with MUD taxes.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:23 PM

459 posts, read 925,182 times
If you live in a MPC, you are more than likely paying a MUD tax as part of your property taxes. You could also be paying a LID tax if you live in a Levee District as well as the MUD.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:25 AM

114 posts, read 103,218 times
Just moved here from Vegas. Similar home values, no state income tax... property taxes ~1% and increases are capped at 3%/year if it's a homestead.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,687,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Houston residents are a corrupt politician's dream, you can start with MUD taxes.
Houston needs to be split up into 10 small cities

Old 10-02-2017, 07:55 AM

1,649 posts, read 774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Houston needs to be split up into 10 small cities
Why? It's better run and has lower taxes than many of the MUD's, and provides police, fire, and garbage pickup, plus the libraries and parks. Splitting into smaller cities just causes more issues.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 AM

8,565 posts, read 11,062,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaWestCMH View Post
Just moved here from Vegas. Similar home values, no state income tax... property taxes ~1% and increases are capped at 3%/year if it's a homestead.
The cap is 10% increase in value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or