Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:05 AM

268 posts, read 237,939 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of talk in my neighborhood about voting against the 500 million dollar infrastructure bonds B to E on the ballot starting on Monday until November 3. Election day is Nov. 7.

Basically the city has been ignoring doing anything about flooding like building detention ponds to keep the water out of our homes. Ignoring the flooding problem has been going on for years... over a decade, at least.

I'm so upset with the city fixing everyone else's issues while homeowners in my neighborhood flood and we get water on our lawns when it rains really hard.

ReBuild Houston has collected like a billion dollars but they don't build water basins. They use the money on salaries.

I agree. We need to vote down the five hundred million dollars in bonds. If we send a message, maybe the city will take flooding seriously. Everything else can wait. Fix flooding now!

Last edited by SpringBrancher; 10-22-2017 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 10:36 AM

15,198 posts, read 7,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringBrancher View Post
There is a lot of talk in my neighborhood about voting against the 500 million dollar infrastructure bonds B to E on the ballot starting on Monday until November 3. Election day is Nov. 7.

Basically the city has been ignoring doing anything about flooding like building detention ponds to keep the water out of our homes. Ignoring the flooding problem has been going on for years... over a decade, at least.

I'm so upset with the city fixing everyone else's issues while homeowners in my neighborhood flood and we get water on our lawns when it rains really hard.

ReBuild Houston has collected like a billion dollars but they don't build water basins. They use the money on salaries.

I agree. We need to vote down the five hundred million dollars in bonds. If we send a message, maybe the city will take flooding seriously. Everything else can wait. Fix flooding now!
Quit lying about RebuildHouston, as well as the rest of your misleading claims. RebuildHouston has done a huge amount of work, all over the City. Of course it pays salaries, that's part of the cost of doing the projects. Funding for RebuildHouston includes the drainage tax, developer fees, some general fund money, and contributions from third parties. Here's a report on the work done with those funds. https://www.rebuildhouston.org/image...n_projects.pdf

It does no good to build detention if there's no way for the water to get there. Detention has to be coordinated across the various agencies responsible for flood control.

In the 41 years I've lived in Houston, the streets and yards have always had water in them during heavy rains. It's part of the design.

The infrastructure bonds are split into several propositions, so you can choose which ones to vote for or against. I am voting for all of them, because we need to replace police and fire vehicles that are past their useful life, and to ensure that City buildings are renovated before they fall apart. That work doesn't go away just because we had a bad storm.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:04 PM

6,266 posts, read 7,434,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Quit lying about RebuildHouston, as well as the rest of your misleading claims. RebuildHouston has done a huge amount of work, all over the City. Of course it pays salaries, that's part of the cost of doing the projects. Funding for RebuildHouston includes the drainage tax, developer fees, some general fund money, and contributions from third parties. Here's a report on the work done with those funds. https://www.rebuildhouston.org/image...n_projects.pdf

It does no good to build detention if there's no way for the water to get there. Detention has to be coordinated across the various agencies responsible for flood control.

In the 41 years I've lived in Houston, the streets and yards have always had water in them during heavy rains. It's part of the design.

The infrastructure bonds are split into several propositions, so you can choose which ones to vote for or against. I am voting for all of them, because we need to replace police and fire vehicles that are past their useful life, and to ensure that City buildings are renovated before they fall apart. That work doesn't go away just because we had a bad storm.
The OP complains the city has done nothing about flooding then advocates that we not fund what they do have planned. Seems rather obstructionist on the surface.....

Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 PM

You are the one lying. Houston floods repeatedly yet most of the areas that get flooded haven't seen a penny in Rebuild money. Certainly there have been no detention basins built with ReBuild money which obviously includes pipes to collect the rainwater. Stop trying to blame other government agencies. If this city government cared about flood victims, it would be raising bonds to fix the number one problem in the city.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The OP complains the city has done nothing about flooding then advocates that we not fund what they do have planned. Seems rather obstructionist on the surface.....
None of the bonds address flooding.

Not one single penny. Voting down the bonds will do nothing to hurt flooding since none of the bonds address flooding.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Quit lying about RebuildHouston...

W seems to be pathological liar. It was NEVER the intent for yards and homes to be flooded. Stop pretending like its just street flooding. The lies by obvious city employees are sickening

Vote no to send these folks a message to focus on the flooding!

Last edited by SpringBrancher; 10-22-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 12:45 PM

6,266 posts, read 7,434,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringBrancher View Post
None of the bonds address flooding.

Not one single penny. Voting down the bonds will do nothing to hurt flooding since none of the bonds address flooding.

oh yea these bonds are to fix the pension liabilities and city infrastructure ? I do need to read up the election is getting close...
Still holding those issues as hostage to flood control may not be the best way to look at this..

Old 10-22-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
oh yea these bonds are to fix the pension liabilities and city infrastructure ? I do need to read up the election is getting close...
Still holding those issues as hostage to flood control may not be the best way to look at this..
No one is talking about the pensions bonds.

Everything else needs to be included in a package that fairly addresses flooding. No one's needs are above flooding. There is always next year but not for flooding unless we shut this down.

The pension bond is one billion. The others are half a billion. Votes those down.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:13 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,029,904 times
I haven't extensively studied the relationships between agencies to see who/which ones are responsible for dropping the ball with building infrastructure to prevent flooding in the Braeswood Place/Meyerland areas. IMO filing lawsuits is the most effective wayy of forcing action.

I can say this: Be careful with protest votes. Some people in the UK voted yes for Brexit not because they wanted to exit the European Union, but as a protest vote to complain about the UK government's performance, not realizing that Brexit would narrowly win the (not legally binding) referendum, or that the UK government would then advocate for Brexit, or that the UK Parliament would pass into law Article 50. Those people are now kicking themselves.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I haven't extensively studied the relationships between agencies to see who/which ones are responsible for dropping the ball with building infrastructure to prevent flooding in the Braeswood Place/Meyerland areas. IMO filing lawsuits is the most effective wayy of forcing action.

I can say this: Be careful with protest votes. Some people in the UK voted yes for Brexit not because they wanted to exit the European Union, but as a protest vote to complain about the UK government's performance, not realizing that Brexit would narrowly win the (not legally binding) referendum, or that the UK government would then advocate for Brexit, or that the UK Parliament would pass into law Article 50. Those people are now kicking themselves.

Be careful what you wish for.
I would like to see these bonds lose. This is not like brexit lol. Asking nicely to fix flooding has not worked

Last edited by SpringBrancher; 10-22-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston