Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 15,425 times

Advertisements

hi, Im moving to Houston in the Westheimer/Galleria area and am looking for a good Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu place. If anyone knows of anywhere that would be great thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,674,481 times
From the Galleria area you have several options. Elite Martial Arts & Fitness is on Westheimer just outside the Beltway, traffic could get terrible at peak hours though. Its a good gym that will accomodate anything from the weekend warrior to the fight-clubber. They have Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA, JKD, etc. More of a MMA gym. Precision Brazilian JJ is a few miles south of the Galleria on 59. I've never been there but it is probably your easiest drive. A friend of mine swears by Bam Bam Martial Arts in Bellaire (at the intersection of Weslayan and Bellaire Blvd.), but I've never been there either. Houston has a thriving martial arts scene so if you are into that, this city will accomodate you.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 15,425 times
checked out bam bam online, looks pretty good except the classes are only 1 hour, im used to 3 hour long classes where im at now.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 AM

He likes to spar and I see him with bruises and black eyes every so often. This leads me to assume it must be a pretty rough hour. I've gone to a couple of sessions with Krav Maga at the 1-to-1 fitness center on Kirby @ 59, that's fun. If you are a groundfighting guy you might not like it. I trained in muay thai for a number of years through high school and college and seem to be better suited to striking forms and I love that Israeli stuff.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,425,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
He likes to spar and I see him with bruises and black eyes every so often. This leads me to assume it must be a pretty rough hour. I've gone to a couple of sessions with Krav Maga at the 1-to-1 fitness center on Kirby @ 59, that's fun. If you are a groundfighting guy you might not like it. I trained in muay thai for a number of years through high school and college and seem to be better suited to striking forms and I love that Israeli stuff.
Is it just for advanced practicioners? of do they take beginners/semi-beginners?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Is it just for advanced practicioners? of do they take beginners/semi-beginners?
Walk-ins welcome. They have a mandatory introduction every Saturday morning. You will find very few gyms that have closed doors. Check out their website: Krav Maga Houston

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 03-20-2008 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,942 times
so did you find a good gym? i just moved to houston from American Top Team school, Best Way BJJ Danbury and looking for a good school in houston area.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM

8 posts, read 32,701 times
I have only been to one bjj gym in the Houston area and that was Gracie Barra school in Webster (about 10 miles south of the beltway on 45). It is a good school but really crowded and kind of far from the city. it is also really geared towards gi training.

I have heard really good things about Bam Bams and not so good things about Elite.

There is also a Milatech school in the galleria area that is worth checking out.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
LOF

1 posts, read 2,444 times
Try Houston Grappling Academy

The Houston Grappling Academy was created to provide a safe, clean and effective way for adults, kids and whole families to train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Traditional Wrestling and Self Defense. With 1,700 square feet of Zebra Mats, H.G.A. has the largest matted training space in the area. Owners Jim Alfano and Dean Zaino have over 40 years of combined training experience in Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, Judo, boxing and self defense.
H.G.A. is located at 13529 Skinner Road, Suite B, Cypress, TX 77429 in Northwest Houston next door to the Laser Tag facility and around the corner from Kroger. Come in and try a free class!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM

657 posts, read 2,536,121 times
I think there's a new Gracie place on Westheimer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston