Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 01:18 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times

Advertisements

Are those all pictures of women, children, and animals (various groups that are often unable to protect themselves) being injured by black men? Don't we have groups whose focus it is to help women, children, and animals, since they are often unable to protect themselves? What if there was another group that was being injured? Should we do our best to help them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 01:22 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I don't think you're going to reconsider, Pedro, but I can tell you from my life experience that this country has a long way to go before it's fair, or before it's honored the social contract for all its citizens. Maybe you've not seen the kind of racism I have, though as a fellow white man, I doubt it. My guess is that you've seen plenty of whites being racist, just like I have. Moreover, I'll bet some of those whites have been in positions of significant power. Maybe you can just bracket it and say "well, that's the departments that have problems" or "that's a few bad apples." But those men who are protesting are doing it because they feel a call to do it. They've probably seen some of the racism I've seen, too, but from the other end, as black men, where they bear the brunt of it. You can divorce those "isolated incidents" but they can't, or they refuse to because they do believe that the US is more than the sum of some abstract principle--it's how we treat each-other. They're patriots, too, brother, and they're going to fight harder for American than anyone on the other side because God himself is with them. I hope you figure that out although I think you already have and just don't want to admit it.
Amen. God bless you bro. Those of us who are successful have largely done so in spite of racism. Doesn't mean the racism doesn't exist and doesn't hold others back from reaching their potential.

And before anyone jumps down my throat with "But what about education? What about culture? What about black crime? What about [insert additional factor holding minorities back here]?"

I understand all of those factors and they are problems. People of all colors have been dedicating time, effort, and money to fighting all of the problems that our communities have in this country for DECADES. Just like racism, police brutality, and other structural issues that disproportionately affect people of color, those problems haven't been fixed yet. That doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of people (including *gasp* football players) that aren't trying to make a difference in the community.

However, many of the people that complain about everything else usually do so to minimize the effects of racism (particularly of the structural variety) anyway, so perhaps I'm spittin into the wind.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:24 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Lots of flimsy patriotism in this thread. I am a proud American. It shows in my daily words and actions. If I were to kneel one time during the national anthem, I'd still be a proud American. Amazing to me that some of your loyalties could be shaken so easily.
American identity is defined by our values, not our so-called "patriotic" actions.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:24 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
That being true does not make the other issue less true.

The sky can be blue AND the water can be blue.

What is your beef? Is it that you feel like they disrespected the US, or that they are pointing out perceived racism?
It’s more like being mad that the water in your drinking glass is blue but ignoring the blue sky.
Being mad because cops have shot 189 black people this year (far less than whites shot) while basically refusing to acknowledge the 7000+ blacks killed by blacks. Willfully ignorant much?

This protest is not bringing awareness to their cause, but instead has created undue unrest over the protest itself.
Very few people are talking about the “why” and are only talking about the “how”
It’s counterproductive and kinda dumb.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:40 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So you're plan is to just make crap up?

"People who criticize the kneelers own flag shirts." Really? You've checked? What flag clothes do I have?

There is no systematic racism. It's what the DNC tells black people to secure 90% of the vote without doing a damn thing for them other than pander to them with false promises.
Open your eyes. See the article below that sums it up. Ever been seen pictures of a Trump rally? Those people cover themselves in the flag.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tomi-la...oween-costume/

As for systematic racism, the statistics tell the story. It exists. Period. You can shove your head in the sand because you dont like that fact, but its there. If your black:

You are more likely to be killed by the police for the same crimes as if youre white.
You are more likely to be sentenced to a harsher punishment than if you are white.
You are more likely to be turned away from a job if your name is black "sounding"
You are more likely to go to a school that is subpar
Even if you have money, youre more likely to live in a poorer neighborhood

The list goes on.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
It’s more like being mad that the water in your drinking glass is blue but ignoring the blue sky.
Being mad because cops have shot 189 black people this year (far less than whites shot) while basically refusing to acknowledge the 7000+ blacks killed by blacks. Willfully ignorant much?

This protest is not bringing awareness to their cause, but instead has created undue unrest over the protest itself.
Very few people are talking about the “why” and are only talking about the “how”
Yeah...how dare we hold cops to higher standards than criminals?

More whites get killed by cops because there are more whites in the US. Per Capita, Blacks are much more likely to get killed by cops.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
That being true does not make the other issue less true.

The sky can be blue AND the water can be blue.

What is your beef? Is it that you feel like they disrespected the US, or that they are pointing out perceived racism?
People of ALL RACES will be unjustly killed by cops.

The kneeling is saying that America is racist. That is a lie.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:37 PM

87 posts, read 126,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
People of ALL RACES will be unjustly killed by cops.

The kneeling is saying that America is racist. That is a lie.
That you think it's a lie, is either a lie or ignorance.

Racism is alive well and flourishing in the America, or do you think Charlottesville was a hoax by the Chinese and financed by George Soros?

Old 10-31-2017, 02:41 PM

87 posts, read 126,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

The protest is bringing alot of awareness to the cause, even if we have to keep redirecting the BS attempts by ya'll to make it about something else (anthem, flag, troops, McNair mispoke, wonder what it will be next month), because ya'll can't face the truth (there is systemic racism in our PD's which leads to unfair treatment of black people) and have a honest discussion about it.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:48 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrDead_YNWA View Post
The protest is bringing alot of awareness to the cause, even if we have to keep redirecting the BS attempts by ya'll to make it about something else (anthem, flag, troops, McNair mispoke, wonder what it will be next month), because ya'll can't face the truth (there is systemic racism in our PD's which leads to unfair treatment of black people) and have a honest discussion about it.
Bottom line fact - McNair was mis-speak. Its a common phrase, and he said it wrong. It is not as you say redirecting the argument. The Texans protest was ridiculous.

Any racist inference from what McNair said is nothing more than crybaby BS from the perpetually offended.

The protests lose 100% of whatever credibility they have when they protest something so obviously not intended to offend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston