Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:21 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times

Advertisements

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...uct-cuts-staff.

Houston Press cut almost all of its jobs, as it is now freelance-reliant, and it's going online only.

I will miss the old Houston Press. - It was fun going into a cafe and just picking up a free copy. Hopefully somebody else fills the void?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 07:49 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
I'll miss it too. For many years, I read it every week. Loved the restaurant reviews. Also that page up front, maybe called Briefs? I used to work near downtown, always picked up a copy at the downtown Y. Which happened to be across the street from the Press offices. Since I retired, hardly ever read it or saw it.

My daughter-in-law worked there for a while. She said they knew this was coming, that print is dying. As an inveterate reader, I hate to hear this, but it does seem to be true. Fewer print publications are surviving these days.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:13 PM

268 posts, read 239,748 times
It sounds like the journalist talent was outsourced for years and they were maintaining an actual press that got destroyed by Harvey. I would have thought the writers would have been staff and the printing operation outsourced. But it was the opposite. Sounds like some of the people selling ad space will keep their jobs and sell online ads.

Does anyone know how many people lost their jobs?

Old 11-04-2017, 04:24 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringBrancher View Post
It sounds like the journalist talent was outsourced for years and they were maintaining an actual press that got destroyed by Harvey. I would have thought the writers would have been staff and the printing operation outsourced. But it was the opposite. Sounds like some of the people selling ad space will keep their jobs and sell online ads.

Does anyone know how many people lost their jobs?
Your original thought is correct. The writers were staff, not outsourced. And the printing was done by a third party, and wasn't affected by Harvey. Their claim is that Harvey affected too many of their customers (advertisers), hence revenue was down.

Here's a link...

Saying Goodbye to the Houston Press in Print | Houston Press

My DIL says there were about 20-25 people there. But that was a few years ago, and almost certainly had changed since then.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:22 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
They will be missed. Thoughtful, well-researched, articles. Great way to keep up with what's going on in town.

Maybe Public News will start up again....

Old 11-05-2017, 05:26 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
I wonder if Free Press Houston is interested in taking the alternative paper market?

Someone pointed out that media consolidation is affecting some smaller papers like this one

Old 11-05-2017, 09:41 AM

268 posts, read 239,748 times
I have been reading the app for several years. It is much more convenient than paper, but how does the readership expand without a physical presence to tell people about it? Hopefully they do well online.

I have to wonder if the print model is really dead with a glossy magazine with nothing but filler like houstonia seeming to do well in the checkout line at the grocery stores. Would once a month real journalism focused on Houston not sell at the grocery store? I mean, they would have to remove all the dirty ads in the back, but why couldn't a cleaned up HP be sold at the grocery store once a month?

Old 11-14-2017, 05:50 AM

14 posts, read 12,331 times
I miss the Public News. I miss the Houston Post.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
For the past several years, I hardly ever picked up a paper copy. But, I did check the website for restaurant reviews and occasionally read an article there that caught my eye.

Wasn't the Houston Press part of a national chain of similar papers (like the ones in Austin & Dallas, but also elsewhere)? I wonder how similar papers in other cities are doing.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:21 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Wasn't the Houston Press part of a national chain of similar papers (like the ones in Austin & Dallas, but also elsewhere)? I wonder how similar papers in other cities are doing.
The Houston Matters radio show on the local NPR station talked about this yesterday, not just Houston Press, but other Alt Weekly Publications in other cities. Long story short, some are facing similar challenges, and some are still thriving.

Here's a link to the show in case you want to listen:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...y-nov-14-2017/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston