Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 8,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Because he won’t find much of what he’s looking for on tht budget. I’m running into the same problem, and I live there.

What about Timbergrove Manor, Lazybrook? The homes will be a little older, but they are mostly ranch style, near parks, have sidewalks, and more within your budget.
Yep. Oak Forest, way out of budget, and I am not knowledgeable enough (yet) to think if getting a old one to make upgrades. I read that unless you know what you are doing, the repairs will cost lot more than getting a new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 PM

8 posts, read 8,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
I would also look at Spring Shadows, Kempwood area. Nice established neighborhood. Homes are older but some have been updated. That area did not flood.
I did look at Spring Shadows, but the schools ratings are quite bad. This brings up a question, are schools that important to look at? since I will not be using them! Only thing i understand is good schools -> good neighborhood -> good home values ->don't need to worry about resale? is that it?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,003,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaushikk View Post
Hello forum,

Been a long time lurker, been pulling my hair out for a while now. In desperate need for help.

So, long story short:
I work in the energy corridor, the wife works in greenspoint.
Currently renting in the heights - very convenient (commute and location).
Its time to look for more space, we just had a baby girl

Budget - <400k

Here comes the trouble. We have been looking for a single family home
Requirements:
  1. <30min commute time to greenspoint, if possible <30min to my work (energy corridor)
  2. single family home no more than 2 floors (parents and inlaws frequently visit us and they cannot take the
    stairs that well)
  3. Good to have a park nearby, neighborhood (to walk around and for baby)
  4. We are ok with buying and moving on in 3 years time to a suburb when time for schools and friends. so should be resellable/rentable?

Katy, Sugarland, Pearland, Woodlands, Humble are just out of question - too much travel for either or both of us)

The neighborhoods ideal for Req. 1:
The heights, garden oaks, jersey village, vintage park area (by 249).

Unfortunately, we are being priced out of the heights/garden oaks (trying to avoid townhomes based on Req. 2, 3) We love the heights neighborhood for its commute convenience rather than anything it offers within itself (food bar etc.) so i don't mind living elsewhere, if convenience is not very compromised.

Jersey village has quite a bit old homes for sale (not sure if it that bad a thing). There are few new construction west of jones rd, between all those apartment complexes. These are priced well for my budget (~300k), but I have a few questions:
Q1. How is the neighborhood there?
Q2. Not sure if they will hold value?
Q3. The zoned schools are pretty bad, how will that affect my home value?
Q4. It is 2 minutes away from 290. will it positively affect the house value once 290 is complete?

I took a look at Tomball (its within 25min drive to greenspoint), and I must admit love the landscaping there. but it is so far out. probably will take an hour for me each way to get to work.
Q5. Is it worth exploring tomball option? is it worth the commute for me?

Q6. Are there any more neighborhoods i should look at, if I could relax a few requirements above?

Q7. Are old homes a hassle to work with?

My realtor is trying to be helpful, but haven't been able to make my mind up.

I would feel much better if you could educate me a bit more to make my decision making easier. any sort of input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!
Did you try looking at the area alongside Eldridge ? Specifically zoned to Bush elementary? I love that area. Nice walking trails, quiet, safe and close to everything. Some homes flooded around Enclave, so prices may have dropped down a bit too. Commute to gunspoint will be a pain though.

Also Kingwood and Cypress in terms of commute.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:25 AM

264 posts, read 438,755 times
You can possibly consider Copper Lakes in 77095...easy access to EC (there will be a lot of traffic though) and close to 290/beltway 8. 290 is not quite finished yet but the portion to beltway 8 is pretty much finished. You will find nice newer homes in your price range as well as parks/trails.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:54 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
I would stay away from jersey village. Seems to be in decline as several of my coworkers have moved away from there. Schools are very important, not just for your kids but also for your resale value. Tom all would be better. Maybe Fall creek? Not sure about schools though. Areas with bad schools may be okay when newish but tend to decline and as residents decline, you might want to resell and e value will become important.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:55 AM

2,429 posts, read 2,467,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I would stay away from jersey village. Seems to be in decline as several of my coworkers have moved away from there. Schools are very important, not just for your kids but also for your resale value. Tom all would be better. Maybe Fall creek? Not sure about schools though. Areas with bad schools may be okay when newish but tend to decline and as residents decline, you might want to resell and e value will become important.
I don't know what's wrong with Jersey Village, but they have very strict police that has substantial presence and the area doesn't look unsafe.
I think Spring Branch is a good example of the area where schools don't matter much for the resale. This area is a hot real estate market right now despite very bad schools. Jersey Village has pretty decent schools in comparison.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:34 AM

5,581 posts, read 4,838,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I don't know what's wrong with Jersey Village, but they have very strict police that has substantial presence and the area doesn't look unsafe.
I think Spring Branch is a good example of the area where schools don't matter much for the resale. This area is a hot real estate market right now despite very bad schools. Jersey Village has pretty decent schools in comparison.
Nothing wrong with Jersey Village. Just more of the "must have a home in the currently most preferred school zone" mentality that pervades this forum (not just in Houston either). Only downside to JV is older homes, if you don't want to deal with updating and rehab. And I know areas close to, though not within, JV have had flooding issues.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 PM

158 posts, read 178,956 times
I would second spring branch. The Spring Shadows area is nice. Shadow Oaks area is nice too.

The poor school ratings are due to ESL students who can't pass the standardized tests in English. A lot of cheaper apartment complexes feed those schools, but I think the high school rating is actually decent.

There are a few homes near Stratford Highschool that may work too, but not sure about the flooding situation there.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,999,319 times
What about Inwood Forest? You aren't using the schools and it's pretty likely, if not a slam dunk, to appreciate in 3 years. It might appear gritty driving into the neighborhood but my understanding is it's pretty safe. The housing stock is old but good, IMO. Commute would be really short for your wife and okay for you.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:33 PM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,882,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
I would second spring branch. The Spring Shadows area is nice. Shadow Oaks area is nice too.

The poor school ratings are due to ESL students who can't pass the standardized tests in English. A lot of cheaper apartment complexes feed those schools, but I think the high school rating is actually decent.

There are a few homes near Stratford Highschool that may work too, but not sure about the flooding situation there.
Couldn't this justification be used for "bad" schools anywhere? The D and F rated schools there are a hard sell for anyone.

2017 School Rankings | CHILDREN AT RISK

The 290/Beltway schools I mentioned above for the eastern Jersey Village area (Gleason/Cook/JVHS) is an A/A/B+ track, with convenient access to downtown/Galleria/Energy Corridor/IAH. I've yet to find a better value for the combination of location/nice neighborhoods/good schools anywhere else in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston