Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:55 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I would still push them. Whether or not they were negligent, your property was damaged by their property - that's why they have insurance. Also, get your insurance involved, they can chase Travelers for the entire amount. You shouldn't see a premium increase from something like this.
This ^^ - the damage to your vehicle occurred when their property damaged it....they are liable, even if they are not negligent. They can search out whomever they like to attempt to subrogate their claim if they can find a guilty party.

However, the answer is pretty easy - their property caused your damage - and you were not a contributing factor.

The landlord may have a hard time getting his insurance to pay it, but just b/c the insurance is not contractually liable to pay, does not mean the owner of the building is cleared from paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Actually when the glass breaks on an office building it's not a rare case. This typically happens because of structural defects within the glass or due to the deformations/mechanical stresses within the building structure itself. Property owner should be liable for any related damage.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:50 AM

309 posts, read 425,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Actually when the glass breaks on an office building it's not a rare case. This typically happens because of structural defects within the glass or due to the deformations/mechanical stresses within the building structure itself. Property owner should be liable for any related damage.
I completely agree. I found it kind of astounding to hear from the agent at Traveler's that they are not liable. Anyway, I contacted my insurance yesterday (Amica) and explained the situation to them. They said that they would go after the property insurance to get them to pay for it. I will go ahead for now and pay my deductible and get my car repaired and hopefully I can get reimbursed from the property insurance at a later point of time.

-RJ

Old 12-06-2017, 01:31 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post
... I always prided myself on not having any claims or tickets ever, I hope I don't lose that because of this which was something totally outside of my control.

-RJ
Why? That is a rhetorical question, no need to reply. But really, you won't, and don't get an OJ Prize just because you continue to pay for something, and then don't expect anything in return for it.

If I pay for something, I expect something in return, otherwise why pay for it? And I get it, it like saying 'I've never had a ticket...' The truth is, no one cares, no OJ Prize as I've said. The insurance company cares, they like to take your money and not provide you anything in return.

I am sure your insurance company will take care of you as best they can. As for the agent who denied you, they are highly trained to deny, deny, deny. When your insurance company gets involved, they most likely will change their tune when they are dealing with another insurance company. Good luck though, 'remember to post back here once it has been resolved and let us know what happened!

Old 12-06-2017, 09:56 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post
I completely agree. I found it kind of astounding to hear from the agent at Traveler's that they are not liable. Anyway, I contacted my insurance yesterday (Amica) and explained the situation to them. They said that they would go after the property insurance to get them to pay for it. I will go ahead for now and pay my deductible and get my car repaired and hopefully I can get reimbursed from the property insurance at a later point of time.

-RJ
well I have been in similar situation and even though your insurance might consider you not at fault but getting reimbursement for your deductible is time consuming and is a lost cause somewhat. They will keep sending you mail every month saying there is no progress in your case and they will keep trying. I think they have to prove to you that they tried 18-21 months and thats about it. I hope I am wrong but every month for last 10 months, I open mail from GEICO and see the same story line " we are actively contacting the other insurance party but so far there is no update and no response from their end". I think if you would get an attorney then may be you can get some $$ out of the other insurance party but hiring an attorney is not cheap.. so at the end of the day you have to see if you want to loose your deductible or pay attorney fees? I think the insurance companies know that. I am pretty sure my insurance company plays similar games with other insurance companies when their party is at fault... so its more of an internal trend but in the end its the consumer who gets screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: