Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:09 PM

94 posts, read 147,465 times

Advertisements

Hello. Any western type towns to visit near Conroe? My family is over and they want to visit a town or downtown that looks western. We already went to Tomball and walked around. It could be an hour away from Conroe too. thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:05 PM

9,851 posts, read 6,562,879 times
No. Ironically the Northernside of Houston is the “more southern” side. Everything north of the woodlands

Old 01-03-2018, 07:58 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,988,426 times
I can’t think of any true western type towns. You might go to some of the cities outside of Houston that have an old historic town square (but not really western) although once you look at the square not much else to see. Columbus or La Grange or small places in the Hill Country.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,519,884 times
...But is there any chance to find Eastern type of town (Chinese or Korean type) in Texas? We have pretty much everything in Texas, even Stonehenge-2 near San Antonio, but I would like to see some Eastern type town as well.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:53 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero View Post
Hello. Any western type towns to visit near Conroe? My family is over and they want to visit a town or downtown that looks western. We already went to Tomball and walked around. It could be an hour away from Conroe too. thx
Explain what you mean with "Western"

Old 01-03-2018, 01:15 PM

967 posts, read 2,608,890 times
Sigh... why not show them what is authentic about the area, and not some pre-conceived stereotype they had before visiting? You live here now. Show them what you have learned to love about the area. Take them to the places you have found interesting. That’s more authentic than showing them some fake facade of a western town that doesn’t exist around here.

Look, I get it. I moved here from 2000 miles away. I had preconceived notions of what living in Texas would be like. Sometimes we would host relatives from back home who expected to see cactus everywhere or some other silly notion (from never being here). Rather than knocking myself out looking for cactus that made them “feel” like they visited Texas, I showed them Texas as it is for real.

How about this... drive them to Ft Worth Stockyards... better yet Lubbock or Amarillo. Along the way they can see “western towns” also along the way they will also see it’s a long ways away from Conroe And that Texas is bigger than they thought. That Texas isn’t just “Western”. That Houston is unique from DFW, El Paso, San Antonio.

Last edited by descovy; 01-03-2018 at 01:29 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 03:34 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
I don't think is going to get any better than downtown Conroe,
if that doesn't do it .... good luck

Old 01-05-2018, 01:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,123 times
Old town Spring and the Strand in Galveston come to mind but I would not say they are "western" with cowboys and gunslinger stories. Galveston is very historical with museums, dining and you can watch the cruise ships go in and out at Olympia Grill while having a nice cocktail. Take a dolphin sightseeing cruise or Steamboat dinner cruise.

Houston is more Southern than Western as far as culturally.

I think there are more exciting things to do in Downtown Houston or The Museum District than in some town with a couple of dusty antique store and a diner.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 PM

97 posts, read 120,412 times
Why not spend your time around the greater Conroe area. Take your relatives to see a live play at the Owen Theater downtown or out to the B-52 Brewery near Lake Conroe for some frosty beverages. Or take them down to The Woodlands Waterway and eat at Gooses Acre then stroll up to the Waterfall/Fountain Park. Or take them to Mercer Arboretum or Jesse Jones Park. There are lots of things to do around the area besides drive a long distance in search of a "Western Town".

Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,065 times
For more of a Western vibe, you'd have to head west, not north.

If you're willing to drive about 2 hours, you can visit Gonzales. It's home to the famous motto "Come and Take It" and played a key role in the history of Texas' fight for Independence and eventual formation into a Republic.

It has a quaint town square, a historical museum, a restored pioneer house you can tour, some nice Victorian mansions (no tour, folks still live in it), antique shop, bbq restaurant housed inside a store, *and an original prison*, where hangings were conducted in the old West. A guide provides an interesting tour of all three levels of the old the prison, it's history, past inmates, daily life, and other interesting tidbits.

Last edited by mingna; 01-06-2018 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: oops, should be "Come and Take It."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston