Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 10,112 times

Advertisements

Hello,

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

My family and I will be relocating to Katy, TXfrom Charlotte, NC by June of 2018. My oldest son will be in 7th gradefor the 2018-19 school year. He has been playing pop warner tacklefootball since he was 6 years old. In our current area, the middle schools have a7th & 8th grade combined football teams. There is only 1 team so no juniorvarsity teams. I noticed that in my research of Katy ISD there appears tobe 3 7th grade A/B/C teams in most schools. Can anyone give me anymore details on what that is and how it works? Is it a varsity teamand the others are sub varsity teams? In our school district very few 7thgraders make the football team and those that do don't see much playing timeahead of 8th graders. Therefore, I thought it was interesting that the7th grade had so many teams. It seems like it is a good thing as morekids can play and get playing time. My last question is in general howhard is it to make the teams? I am confident my son would make the teamhere locally in NC but would not see much playing time until he is in the 8th grade. Thanks again for any insight anyone can provide.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 12:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
There are more teams because we are in Texas :-) It is the dominant sport so more kids are interested in playing. Typically, there is a tryout and the kids are slotted for a team. Most often, the "A" team is the strongest players and it goes down from there. I don't know how many kids are cut, if any.

I would check with the local school you are headed to to find out when summer football starts. In high school, Fall sports start on/around Aug 1. I am not sure for middle school.

Good luck for your move!

Old 01-24-2018, 02:19 PM

509 posts, read 734,707 times
You should know that Katy is a particularly football-crazy school district. People move to Katy just so their kids can play for the Katy Tigers, who always seem to go far into the playoffs and have many state championships. If your ambition is to raise a star football player who gets a D-1 scholarship, make sure you pick a Jr. High that feeds into Katy High School (there are several Katy ISD High Schools). If you are looking for more of a balance between sports and academics, a Jr. High that feeds into Cinco Ranch High School might be a better choice.

Last edited by Houston parent; 01-24-2018 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 03:15 PM

223 posts, read 261,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
You should know that Katy is a particularly football-crazy school district. People move to Katy just so their kids can play for the Katy Tigers, who always seem to go far into the playoffs and have many state championships. If your ambition is to raise a star football player who gets a D-1 scholarship, make sure you pick a Jr. High that feeds into Katy High School (there are several Katy ISD High Schools). If you are looking for more of a balance between sports and academics, a Jr. High that feeds into Cinco Ranch High School might be a better choice.
If you're good enough, you'll "end up" at KHS anyway. Magically.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:50 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
Katy High doesn't produce the number of college athletes despite their success. If you want to go to a football factory, then you need to head further in.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:23 PM

234 posts, read 424,670 times
The new Katy schools Stockdick Jr High Saber Cats and Paetow High Panthers have taken some of the talent pool away from Katy High. Stockdick Jr High went 11-0 this past season and the sophomores at Paetow didnt do to bad and they look great.
Lastly, they are both Carolina Blue. ☺

Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 AM

170 posts, read 193,917 times
Woodcreek Junior High would be my recommendation. The coaching staff there are outstanding. They coached my son at a different school before WC opened. The feed into Katy HS. The neighborhoods zoned there are good to great. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 AM

170 posts, read 193,917 times
My son's junior high 7th grade had 4 football teams!! Katy HS Varsity has close to 100 players. Playing time is a different story. The only child I ever knew who got cut from a high school team in Katy ISD was due to the fact that he weighed over 400 pounds and it was a medical danger.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:55 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
The new Katy schools Stockdick Jr High Saber Cats and Paetow High Panthers have taken some of the talent pool away from Katy High. Stockdick Jr High went 11-0 this past season and the sophomores at Paetow didnt do to bad and they look great.
Lastly, they are both Carolina Blue. ☺
then high school comes and those same dominant middle school teams slow down a level for whatever reason. Morton Ranch had all the ingredients to be a real factor but for whatever reason has never done anything big in football.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:44 PM

234 posts, read 424,670 times
Then I guess it all comes down to coaching. I know Paetow's HS coach is a spin off from Katy HS football coach, former OC of Katy High. The analogy here is like O'Brien of the Texans to Belichick of the Patriots. I just hope more success though for Paetow HS coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston