Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 08:42 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times

Advertisements

Family is taking a quick getaway to Houston later this month. Will be my first time visiting since 2014, looking forward to seeing what has changed.

Anyway, just a typical fan of urbanity, vibrancy, walkability, historic neighborhoods. It's a short trip and actually have a handful of friends to see so may not end up having any down time at all, but still I like to be prepared just in case (and/or more knowledgeable when making arrangements with friends).

So where would you recommend we check out if we can?

Also, a less straightforward question to consider...if I were to someday relocate to Houston, the ideal spot would have a balance of urbanity/walkability while also providing easy access to "Chinatown" amenities. Not necessarily Bellaire but something similar (if it does exist elsewhere). With that in mind also, where would you recommend we check out?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 08:29 AM

Hmm no suggestions? I guess we can break it down into a few lists:

1) What are the top walkable neighborhoods?

2) Where are the concentration of Asian amenities, or is it just Bellaire?

3) Are any of those walkable neighborhoods either walking distance from, along a single transit line from, or if neither, then a short drive from the Asian amenities?

Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2018, 08:46 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hmm no suggestions? I guess we can break it down into a few lists:

1) What are the top walkable neighborhoods?

2) Where are the concentration of Asian amenities, or is it just Bellaire?

3) Are any of those walkable neighborhoods either walking distance from, along a single transit line from, or if neither, then a short drive from the Asian amenities?

Thanks again!

1) The usual suspects: Montrose, Rice Village, Westheimer, Chinatown/Bellaire, some nice spots in Museum district surrounding hermann Park, but it's still lacking in restaurant selections.

2) Mostly Bellaire/Chinatown, but a few scattered around the historic sections of midtown, some in the northwest area off 290, some in Sugar land.

3) C'mon, it's Houston. Ya gotta drive! (Although Chinatown seems fairly well-served by bus lines.) You can take METRORail to many to he walkable areas, but not to and from high concentrations of Asian amenities.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Another walkable area is around the River Oaks theater. It's walkable (for me) from the trails along Buffalo Bayou. Surrounding the independent River Oaks theater are a variety of restaurants, bookstores, coffee shops, and retail shopping.

Hope you're planning on doing all your walking within the next few months, though, before the heat, bugs, and humidity sets in. In which case, there's plenty of parking both along the Bayou and near the theatre/shops.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:06 PM

Thank you Ming!

So what part of Chinatown/Bellaire is walkable. I guess I'm not too familiar but I don't recall seeing anything.

Yea weather and bugs are an issue for walkability in the south!

Old 02-03-2018, 08:45 AM

If by walkable, you mean being able to walk from business to business, then there are plenty. Most of the area has undergone a facelift of sorts, as well as new builds. New bus stop stations, new sidewalks, signage, many new business ranging from eateries, to lounges, karaoke, arcade, nightclubs, martial arts, dance classes, a range of legal and medical services, and many more.

Most businesses are located within plaza-type strip malls, and so you can walk between each upon parking in the plaza. Some are 2 storied, allowing for more businesses to operate in the plaza. An example is the Dun Huang Plaza. On the other side of Beltway 8, you have the newly developed Kim Song Plaza. Lots of walkable places up and down Bellaire blvd.

You can also walk around Arthur Storey Park; it has a decent loop around the "lake" to work off some calories.

Of course, I assume you're street smart and will act accordingly when walking all over Houston (same as Miami), especially after dark.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:35 PM

Got it, thanks! I appreciate the info.

Yeah probably won't do much walking around there then, just wanted to get an idea if there was some hidden gem I might be missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston