Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 04:46 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Not from an architectural standpoint. Yankee Stadium was, architecturally speaking, a fairly mundane stadium structure that lacked a roof.

The Harris County Domed Stadium, aka the Astrodome, on the other hand, was the first successful example of unsupported long span roof design since the construction of Hadrian's Tomb in the second century.

Another way of looking at it...the first time mankind was able to replicate (and surpass) previous iterations of this particular construction technique, which the Romans had mastered but which was lost after the fall of Rome (along with several other technologies known to the Romans but which disappeared during the Dark Ages), it happened 1,800 years later in Houston, Texas, in the form of the Astrodome.

In 1960, most would have thought it would be impossible to build a round stadium structure with a 710' roof without direct columnar support. Five years later, just such a structure was a reality.

The architectural achievement of the Astrodome inspired dozens of imitators, not all of which managed to remain standing as long as the original. The Kingdome in Seattle, Kemper Arena in Kansas City and Mottaqi Stadium in Sari, Iran, all suffered from roof collapses.

In my mind, the value in preserving the Astrodome is less about the teams and events it has hosted, and more about the astounding architectural leap forward it represented in its time. Whether that alone can serve to justify the cost of renovating/rehabilitating the structure is something each individual Harris County taxpayer will have to decide for him/herself.
Trust me, anyone outside of Houston could give a rats a$$ about the dome, Yankee Stadium on the other hand was an icon nationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 12:02 AM

403 posts, read 462,494 times
They didn’t give a rats ass about the dome because they didn’t know what it achieved. If they had known, they would recognized it respected it.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:20 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
BTW nobody voted for the Domes demise just one renovation that was proposed.
Precisely. These critics: highly adamant, yet clueless as to the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Trust me, anyone outside of Houston could give a rats a$$ about the dome, Yankee Stadium on the other hand was an icon nationally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
They didn’t give a rats ass about the dome because they didn’t know what it achieved. If they had known, they would recognized it respected it.
Double L's got it. All too often, these critics of Houston, while correct in pointing out the circumstances, often fail to consider the variety in depth regarding how they came to be. That Yankee Stadium was more of an icon could just be as simple as the greater exposure it received, rather than any intrinsic superiority. Exposure not only coming from storied media events, but just general connection to the citizens at large...easier to accomplish in a dense city compared to a sprawled out one.

Last edited by Texyn; 02-26-2018 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-26-2018, 02:39 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post

Gee...I never thought about it quite that shallowly or superficially. I suppose if I had, I might have come to the same lightweight conclusion.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Astrodome might be the most iconic thing in Houston
Reality is that it cost WAY too much money to keep

Tear it down, and move on

Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Astrodome might be the most iconic thing in Houston
Reality is that it cost WAY too much money to keep

Tear it down, and move on
If they do that, then the politicians cannot use it as a slush fund for them and their buddies to pay themselves off out of when a "renovation" project is rammed through against the wishes of the people of Houston.

Which they have apparently decided to do now.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:43 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Outside of Houston, the Astrodome is generally regarded as a mid-20th century novelty at best and an abject crime against nature at worst. Many assume the thing was torn down after the Astros moved out.

Even within Houston, I'm hardpressed to find somebody at a game at Minute Maid Park who can honestly say "hey, you know what, I sure do wish I was watching a baseball game played on plastic instead." The gameday experience there was dull, with sightlines optimized for absolutely no event that takes place there. The best thing going for it was the seats, but gradually less so over the years as they started getting torn up. I won't even get started on the visual ants-on-stage and tin-can acoustics of the Dome concert experience.

It's as much a part of my childhood as anyone else's over age 35 or so, but there is a generation of young adults who never saw it on the inside, and if they did they wouldn't understand why it matters. Nobody really wants to watch outdoor sports indoors if they can help it. It was necessary for Houston to become a major league sports city, but it should say something that nearly every fixed-roof sports stadium in America ran its course just like the Astrodome did, and we're past needing one here.

Kingdome in Seattle? Dump. Gone. Replaced by an infinitely better facility.

Hoosier/RCA Dome in Indianapolis? Dump. Gone. Replaced by an infinitely better facility.

HHH Metrodome in Minneapolis? Dump to the nth degree. Gone. Nobody misses it, not even in Minnesota. Replaced, too, by an infinitely better facility.

So why is the Astrodome different?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:48 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Outside of Houston, the Astrodome is generally regarded as a mid-20th century novelty at best and an abject crime against nature at worst. Many assume the thing was torn down after the Astros moved out.

Even within Houston, I'm hardpressed to find somebody at a game at Minute Maid Park who can honestly say "hey, you know what, I sure do wish I was watching a baseball game played on plastic instead." The gameday experience there was dull, with sightlines optimized for absolutely no event that takes place there. The best thing going for it was the seats, but gradually less so over the years as they started getting torn up. I won't even get started on the visual ants-on-stage and tin-can acoustics of the Dome concert experience.

It's as much a part of my childhood as anyone else's over age 35 or so, but there is a generation of young adults who never saw it on the inside, and if they did they wouldn't understand why it matters. Nobody really wants to watch outdoor sports indoors if they can help it. It was necessary for Houston to become a major league sports city, but it should say something that nearly every fixed-roof sports stadium in America ran its course just like the Astrodome did, and we're past needing one here.

Kingdome in Seattle? Dump. Gone. Replaced by an infinitely better facility.

Hoosier/RCA Dome in Indianapolis? Dump. Gone. Replaced by an infinitely better facility.

HHH Metrodome in Minneapolis? Dump to the nth degree. Gone. Nobody misses it, not even in Minnesota. Replaced, too, by an infinitely better facility.

So why is the Astrodome different?
Because the Astrodome was the first of its kind and a forerunner of most indoor stadiums today including AT&T and Mercedes Benz for one, and the Dome will still have value once renovated for another.

The Dome contains over 400k sq ft of uninterrupted column free floor space with a maximum clearance of over 170 ft. That's with the proposed raised floor. That is a special space that would cost 5 times more at least to replace from scratch.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The Dome contains over 400k sq ft of uninterrupted column free floor space with a maximum clearance of over 170 ft. That's with the proposed raised floor. That is a special space that would cost 5 times more at least to replace from scratch.
That's absolutely astounding. Now, what will that be used for, that isn't available at more modern facilities in Houston that have been built since 1965?

Old 02-28-2018, 12:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That's absolutely astounding. Now, what will that be used for, that isn't available at more modern facilities in Houston that have been built since 1965?
Thank you !The OTC will use it as will the Rodeo who have both signed off on the renovation. The GRB has a maximum of 50ft of clearance and NRG doesn't have nearly the floor space. So I'm not sure of what facility you may be referring too?

Its a structurally sound building that is paid for. You know if it had been torn down within just a few years somebody would then propose a half billion dollar building be built to accommodate the rising need we have for convention and meeting space that the Dome would have easily handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston