Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:48 AM

360 posts, read 665,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmatt View Post
Aye after all is about me and not my kid :-) Bugger off.. Thanks for stoping by and not adding any value honestly, besides the stereotypical reverse race thingie. Nice try and I don't get it, why does one waste so much time for nothing?

The situation/scenario you're describing is not even close with what I am dealing with. You're dealing with a race issue where I am dealing with a cultural issue. KEEP THE RACE OUT OF THIS. At least the "whites" are inclusive and been around the block for a while, so don't go the whole race "black" monty. It just DOES NOT WORK anymore. What I am describing here is about a new cultural identity (asian indians) that is out of sync, but not racist. Big difference. Give them some time and guidance and they will integrate just fine. Meanwhile my kid doesn't have time for this so we move on.

Why don't you start another tread to deal with your situation where I am sure some great and constructive feedback will come along. I just feel that hanging your "RACE" wagon to a cultural train is not the best thing for me or you. More rubbish in one place than we need :-) Not being insensitive to your issues but I have other priorities if you know what I mean.

You're a wee scunner ain't ya. Kicking rocks I go now.. better than arguing with a boke...

*sigh* I started a long rambling retort, but decided to stop while I'm clearly ahead. Smh. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
*sigh* I started a long rambling retort, but decided to stop while I'm clearly ahead. Smh. Good luck to you.
Good for you. I agree you're ahead. This guy's "Merry Christmas" posts earlier this year tell us everything we need to know about him.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
To be clear, DC Matt, the issue with your post is that you put the word "Mumbai" in there for no explainable reason. I can totally see your perspective (and your daughter's). I never intentionally look for schools where my sons will be the majority, but I also try to avoid schools where they will be in a very slim minority. Your concern is VALID and I can understand. That's NOT what's being questioned. What IS being questioned is your use of the term "Mumbai." Are you capable of seeing that distinction, Matt?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
That's the info I looked up before we moved there. I believe in diversity wholeheartedly. However, she is literally one of four or less black children in each class. I was very disappointed when she told me that. That doesn't quite match up with the report - or does it? I suck at math. But even when I attend school functions it comes across as a white school more than anything else.
Haha. The math sort of works. at 21% black, given a perfect distribution, you'd expect about four black kids per 20 child class.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:40 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
To be clear, DC Matt, the issue with your post is that you put the word "Mumbai" in there for no explainable reason. I can totally see your perspective (and your daughter's). I never intentionally look for schools where my sons will be the majority, but I also try to avoid schools where they will be in a very slim minority. Your concern is VALID and I can understand. That's NOT what's being questioned. What IS being questioned is your use of the term "Mumbai." Are you capable of seeing that distinction, Matt?
He did apologize for it in post #14.

I own you an apology as well if you feel my Riverstone / Mumbai comment was out of line. My intention was to describe the Anne Sullivan environment which I agree is not a reflection of Riverstone as a whole. Please accept my apology. The neighborhood is large, great and diverse. Just the school could use a little help.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 PM

360 posts, read 665,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Haha. The math sort of works. at 21% black, given a perfect distribution, you'd expect about four black kids per 20 child class.

Ah, see... I suck at math! Even if I had done the math correctly, I still would have moved there regardless. I don't like the school, but it's not because of the lack of diversity. Nevertheless, my child will survive and she tells me the kids are quite nice (ignorant comments aside). Not sure why the op thought I was angry. I'm not. Just throwing a similar situation (in my eyes) out into the internet. Thanks, mikeyyc!

Old 04-05-2018, 02:14 PM

154 posts, read 196,239 times
Quote:
OK guys I know this will rock someone's boat but it is what it is. My daughter goes to Anne Sullivan in Riverstone and she absolutely hates it. 2 years left. Teachers are OK but the school is 85% indians. I won't get into any colorful details be she didn't make many friends which I think is a cultural thing on the Indian side, nicely put. I am debating about moving her to Commonwealth school. Looks like they have better diversity there.

Any of you in Riverstone dealing with this issue or willing to provide some advise? Please keep the race card outta of this discussion. Is a really issue I am dealing with and I need help fixing it.

My daughter did her kindergarten from a private school and attended 1st grade in ASE . We love it here . We never had any issue , I feel ASE is much more diverse than cornerstone .

I think lot depends upon the teacher . Every school has issues . My daughter can’t make friends so easily , but surprisingly she had a lot of friends here . My point is you can’t blame a school for this , it is all situational.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:40 PM

98 posts, read 91,206 times
Some interesting comments but hey I am really glad it works for you. Is your daughter? Caucasian, Indian? I know I shouldn't ask but it does matter

What does it have to do with the teacher? It is the percentage per school and not teacher or class. Even today, few hours ago, I was at a GT event at ASE and again I felt like I was still in Mumbai. Great people don't get me wrong but a big "negative" for blending in. My daughter was the only white kid in the class and her GT station barely got any visit from the "indian" parents where the "indian" kids got all the attention. That's cool, nothing personal, but hey you really have to be part of the country fabric. As for my "disappointed" daughter, once again I had to do the diversity "challenged" speech. And no ain't asking my daughter to go above and beyond to bring in the "challenged" diversity. Diversity is a 2 way street and everyone have to work hard at it. We've done our part and we're out. She is going PRIVATE next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisw View Post
My daughter did her kindergarten from a private school and attended 1st grade in ASE . We love it here . We never had any issue , I feel ASE is much more diverse than cornerstone .

I think lot depends upon the teacher . Every school has issues . My daughter can’t make friends so easily , but surprisingly she had a lot of friends here . My point is you can’t blame a school for this , it is all situational.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:07 AM

152 posts, read 169,670 times
Quote:
Some interesting comments but hey I am really glad it works for you. Is your daughter? Caucasian, Indian? I know I shouldn't ask but it does matter

What does it have to do with the teacher? It is the percentage per school and not teacher or class. Even today, few hours ago, I was at a GT event at ASE and again I felt like I was still in Mumbai. Great people don't get me wrong but a big "negative" for blending in. My daughter was the only white kid in the class and her GT station barely got any visit from the "indian" parents where the "indian" kids got all the attention. That's cool, nothing personal, but hey you really have to be part of the country fabric. As for my "disappointed" daughter, once again I had to do the diversity "challenged" speech. And no ain't asking my daughter to go above and beyond to bring in the "challenged" diversity. Diversity is a 2 way street and everyone have to work hard at it. We've done our part and we're out. She is going PRIVATE next year.

It depends upon the kid , my friend's daughter goes to greatwood school where she is having problems making friends , she is white .
And GT classes are normally crowded with Asian kids not only Indians . I have seen it through out FBISD .

Last edited by sm24; 04-06-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 AM

14 posts, read 17,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Previous posts in here and stories on the news about Riverstone include:

- Bickering about school zone lines due to the exclusivity factor, obviously forgetting where they came from
- Figuring out who to sue because Harvey destroyed their homes and they did zero due diligence
- The Riverstone Schlumberger white dude who brags on here about brandishing his firearm while driving and who also got banned threatening a mod with bodily injury
- And now the socially inept folks who live there, pointing out an obvious trend.

Anyone who followed this fine forum + the news over the past year knows that area has a complete garbage vibe. If your kid is young enough, cut your losses and move. It takes a village, etc.
We are moving to the area in a few weeks. Please help me figure out where in Sugar Land is a good place to live. We are young caucasian family with elements school kids. Looking for save, like minded family oriented neighborhood(s) with great elementsary school. Please help. I'm really lost and confused. Oh, will be working at the med center. Good budget. TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston