Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:14 AM

101 posts, read 170,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by here_we_come View Post
We are moving to the area in a few weeks. Please help me figure out where in Sugar Land is a good place to live. We are young caucasian family with elements school kids. Looking for save, like minded family oriented neighborhood(s) with great elementsary school. Please help. I'm really lost and confused. Oh, will be working at the med center. Good budget. TIA
Welcome to Sugar Land. If you don’t mind asking, what is your budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 01:51 PM

14 posts, read 17,285 times

Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:
Buy a house in the Colony Meadows elementary school zone area. Look at the neighborhoods around Elkins Rd. You can probably get a pretty nice house in that price range.

Colony Meadows is probably the only ELM in the area that is ranked highly and not Indians majority.

If you want a new house, it will be Riverstone, but be prepared to have the same issue as the OP in this thread.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:02 AM

Thank you.

Like Abigail way and Summer Hill way? Or literally on Elkins Rd?
Thanks much for your help.

Also, any thoughts on Pearland? Are there any great areas there to consider? Thank u!

Old 04-13-2018, 09:37 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Thank you.

Also, any thoughts on Pearland? Are there any great areas there to consider? Thank u!
All of Pearland's schools are excellent, but I preferred Massey Ranch Elementary because of the IB program. They were just beginning that when we moved here and my dgd was going into kindergarten. They have gotten even better now.

The area zoned to Massey Ranch is here:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

We live in Southwyck IV and the neighborhood is a really good one for kids - the kids always played out in the subdivision and can walk to the Morgan Park and to the Southwyck IV pool. The zoned middle school is Sam Jamison (not my favorite, but Rogers was overcrowded). The zoned jr high is Pearland JR High South which my grand children love and then the kids go back to Dawson High School which is excellent for academics.

My quarrel with the schools here is that they are too big though. I think that is true of most of the Texas schools unfortunately. When we moved here, my granddaughter came from a school with 2 k classes. Here Massey had 7 k classrooms. She was fine, but as parents and grandparents, we found it overwhelming.

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2018 at 05:50 AM..

Old 04-13-2018, 01:33 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:
Thank you.

Anywhere around Clements High School. There are those newer houses on University right past Smart Financial Center. They are newer but I believe all those go to Commonwealth and not Colony Meadows.

The best 3 Suburbs in Houston are Sugar Land, Katy, and TW. The order is based on personal preferences.

Pearland is not bad, but I think you will get the better school in Sugar Land. When I say better school, I don't mean better education, just more like-minded students that place a higher priority on education like you.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:47 PM

101 posts, read 170,854 times
At your budget, I don't think you can go wrong with anywhere in Sugar Land.

My recommendation would be to stay at the Marriott in town square on your home-hunting trip, it is a central location and will give you a good exposure to life in Sugar Land.

I actually prefer the older communities in Sugar Land as they are closer to the amenities, have beautiful landscaping (streets and esplanades are lined with Live Oak trees) and will be closer to the main roads to the TMC (90 and 59). The neighborhoods you may want to focus on are Sugar Lakes and First Colony.

A few other options:
Telfair is a great community, convenient to 59 & 90. They have a beautiful lake and trails network which is highly utilized by it's residents.

At your budget, if you want brand-new you may want to look at Imperial (north of 90). The prices are higher there relative to other neighborhoods, and it's being established more as mixed-use with upscale shopping, the ballpark and 55+ apartments and townhomes. It's a cool concept however the pricing is high for the area.

Riverstone is a good neighborhood, however you have to be careful where you purchase due to it's location near a coal-fueled power plant (one of the largest in Texas) and it is behind a levee that flooded during Harvey, it's also quite a drive from the highways on the eastern side of the neighborhood. The western "Avalon" side of the neighborhood is nicer, closer to highway access and did not flood. The neighborhood is beautiful with nice landscaping and amenities in the common areas.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:56 PM

54 posts, read 92,963 times
Riverstone is expensive, but nice. However, I pay 40k per year in property taxes and I am not even on the lake. I also send my kids to private schools even though we are (2nd gen) Indian because I feel FOB desi and other asian types are too intense on their kids for my taste. Had I known I would end up putting them in private I likely would have picked some other SL neighborhood and a smaller house, although I have to say my house is lovely. Still, writing that check yearly to FBCAD is killing my soul.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Anywhere around Clements High School. There are those newer houses on University right past Smart Financial Center. They are newer but I believe all those go to Commonwealth and not Colony Meadows.

The best 3 Suburbs in Houston are Sugar Land, Katy, and TW. The order is based on personal preferences.

Pearland is not bad, but I think you will get the better school in Sugar Land. When I say better school, I don't mean better education, just more like-minded students that place a higher priority on education like you.
What's TW?

How is Colony Meadows better than Commonwealth?

Thanks

Old 04-13-2018, 06:22 PM

447 posts, read 488,048 times
Quote:
What's TW?

How is Colony Meadows better than Commonwealth?

Thanks
TW is The Woodlands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston