Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times

Advertisements

I am currently a third-year Electrical Engineering major at UC Davis, and a lifelong Southern Californian. Very eager to move to Houston or Florida after graduation. Despite the Silicon Valley boom, I am looking for somewhere cheaper and more conservative than California.

A couple of questions:

1. Is it difficult to find a job in Houston if my degree is from a university in California? I am taking the control systems/signal processing specialization.
2. How is the job market for electrical engineers? Is there a large defense industry like there is in Huntsville? Are there numerous telecommunications companies like there are in Dallas? Obviously there is Johnson Space Center, but I'm curious about the private sector.

I've only heard great things about Houston. I spent 10 weeks last summer in New Orleans and Biloxi and I loved the hot, humid weather (believe me, Sacramento summers are far more brutal, dry, and ugly than anything in New Orleans) and the scenery was more beautiful than anything I'd ever seen. I'm sure Houston will be just the same, climate and scenery-wise. I'm also ultra-conservative (for California, which is like saying you're ultra-conservative for Canada) and a devout evangelical (Southern Baptist more or less), so I'm sure I'll fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 06:11 AM

318 posts, read 337,710 times
Lived in Houston area all my life been living in the Bay Area for almost 2 years, I visit Sac frequently, I actually like it out there cool growing city, Davis is perfect.

Heads up Houston weather is NOT better than sacramento, in the spring/summer its hot like SAC but very humid, In sac its cool in the morning and nights. In Houston it doesn't matter you can sweat just going for a walk in the morning or night because of the humidity.

The scenery and lack of outdoor life is something you will have to get use to, but you seem prepared. Houston is great if you're into sports, shopping, and restaurants.

Not sure about the engineering job field but I do know the DFW and AUSTIN are booming in that field.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Heads up Houston weather is NOT better than sacramento, in the spring/summer its hot like SAC but very humid, In sac its cool in the morning and nights. In Houston it doesn't matter you can sweat just going for a walk in the morning or night because of the humidity.
I spent ten weeks during the summer in New Orleans, and I loved the weather. I loved how I could walk outside in the middle of night in shorts and flip flops, not needing a jacket. Those 85-degree nights, with the humidity fogging up your glasses, were what I lived for.

If Houston is just like New Orleans, weather and scenery-wise, I'm down. Bayous, longleaf pine forests, oak trees with Spanish moss, cypress swamps, and Gulf Coast beaches with 85 degree water are the best. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:32 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I spent ten weeks during the summer in New Orleans, and I loved the weather. I loved how I could walk outside in the middle of night in shorts and flip flops, not needing a jacket. Those 85-degree nights, with the humidity fogging up your glasses, were what I lived for.

If Houston is just like New Orleans, weather and scenery-wise, I'm down. Bayous, longleaf pine forests, oak trees with Spanish moss, cypress swamps, and Gulf Coast beaches with 85 degree water are the best. Wouldn't have it any other way.
I agree with you 100%. But you'll find that with these preferences, many in Houston would treat you like an alien from outer-space. No, they would rather waste time crying about the lack of mountains in sight, or shining the shoes of transplants that came from (what are perceived to be) more desirable locales

In all fairness, they do have valid arguments concerning the built environment. Houston's built environment features a lot of suburban sprawl compared to the fabric of older-grown like New Orleans. As a result, tight-nit historic charm is precluded, and focus is lessened on the vegetation in favor of concrete.

But all in all, the bottom line is that landscape appeals are what one makes of them. Many citizens here like to think otherwise, but the truth is that Houston's landscape, with its subtropical location, is conducive to several well-documented QOL benefits. You just have to show and not tell.

Just to get you started:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	84
Size:	859.0 KB
ID:	196124 Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled3.png
Views:	94
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	196125 Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled4.png
Views:	67
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	196126Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled5.png
Views:	99
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	196127

A lodge within an hours drive south of Houston:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chateau02.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	196128

Last edited by Texyn; 03-10-2018 at 11:47 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 09:39 AM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I am currently a third-year Electrical Engineering major at UC Davis, and a lifelong Southern Californian. Very eager to move to Houston or Florida after graduation. Despite the Silicon Valley boom, I am looking for somewhere cheaper and more conservative than California.

A couple of questions:

1. Is it difficult to find a job in Houston if my degree is from a university in California? I am taking the control systems/signal processing specialization.
2. How is the job market for electrical engineers? Is there a large defense industry like there is in Huntsville? Are there numerous telecommunications companies like there are in Dallas? Obviously there is Johnson Space Center, but I'm curious about the private sector.

I've only heard great things about Houston. I spent 10 weeks last summer in New Orleans and Biloxi and I loved the hot, humid weather (believe me, Sacramento summers are far more brutal, dry, and ugly than anything in New Orleans) and the scenery was more beautiful than anything I'd ever seen. I'm sure Houston will be just the same, climate and scenery-wise. I'm also ultra-conservative (for California, which is like saying you're ultra-conservative for Canada) and a devout evangelical (Southern Baptist more or less), so I'm sure I'll fit in.
I think a UC-Davis degree will be well respected. Now there aren't the large number of telecommunications companies as in Dallas.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:03 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
There is a healthy market for control systems engineers in Houston. There are some big players that have large groups in Houston. Honeywell, Emerson, amongst others. Smaller firms also have a significant presence here.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:32 PM

In all fairness, they do have valid arguments concerning the built environment. Houston's built environment features a lot of suburban sprawl compared to the fabric of older-grown like New Orleans. As a result, tight-nit historic charm is precluded, and focus is lessened on the vegetation in favor of concrete.

I come from Irvine, California, essentially the Sugar Land or The Woodlands of Los Angeles. Very sprawly too. But I love sprawl! The world could always use some more McMansions!

Strange enough, didn't miss the mountains at all while in New Orleans. I guess Houston is only two hours away from Austin so you can see actual hills when you want too.

As for real mountains, like the ones you can ski on, I don't go skiing that often, so no big deal. I laugh whenever people in LA say we're "close" to skiing, by which they mean you can drive two hours to this tiny ski resort where all the snow is hard-packed, manmade snow (because of the drought). Two hours isn't close. I might as well live in Houston and fly to Denver to ski once a year or so. But Vancouver, Canada has skiing 15 minutes outside of Downtown. Now that's close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston