Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:15 PM

380 posts, read 368,358 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing for a job in Houston. It's so early that I feel ridiculous looking at real estate already, but I have a good feeling about this. I need advice about where to live, and I have many questions. I grew up on the east side and have family still in Houston. It's not like I don't know anything about the city, but it's been 20 years since I lived there.

His job would be on 610 by the Galleria, towards the south. We'd like to keep the commute to below 45 minutes. Price range is likely $300K to $400K. We need a good-to-excellent elementary, as my oldest will start kindergarten next year. Also, I'm all for diversity, but I don't want my kid to be the only white one there. I'd prefer a school where whites make up at least 20%.

I've been looking at homes in Sugar Land, Pearland, and Jersey Village. I've also looked at some zoned to elementaries towards the southwest. I guess that's Bellaire? I've seen several homes zoned to Bellaire High School that appear to be good elementaries, at least by Great School standards. (BTW, I remember Bellaire High being an elite high school back in my day but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, what gives?) I really like the idea of being so close to my husband's work and to city amenities.

As for house characteristics, don't really care much about age or style. We'd want at least 2300 SF and a big enough yard for our kids' giant playset. Low crime would also be desirable, obvs.

I'm also nervous about flooded houses. A lot of the houses zoned to good schools that I'm seeing within 10 or so miles of DH's work were flooded. We don't have the extra income to deal with problems that perhaps weren't taken care of during a remodel, so am I correct to avoid those?

I've been using google map drive times to estimate commutes, and I'm getting about 30-40 minutes leaving at 7:30 AM on a weekday from Pearland and Jersey Village. Is that realistic?

Are there other areas I should be looking at? Am I on the right track? If we can't find an acceptable house zoned to a good school with a reasonable commute within our price range, we might not take the job. Right now my husband has about a 10-minute commute in Dallas, so even going up to 45 minutes will be a shock to his system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 10:03 AM

101 posts, read 170,854 times
Look in First Colony in Sugar Land - should check all of your requirements.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
DH commuted to the Galleria area from just east of Jersey Village (inside beltway) for several years before office relocated downtown. A rush hour commute of 30-45 minutes sounds about right, it was actually worse than his new downtown commute because of 610 traffic. (Off-rush commute is ~20 minutes.) However, he was doing the Galleria commute before the 290 reconstruction which is nearing completion and the 290/610 interchange has improved flow. I understand that I-59/69 is about to start major construction so keep that in mind weighing a commute from the southwest.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:28 AM

101 posts, read 170,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
DH commuted to the Galleria area from just east of Jersey Village (inside beltway) for several years before office relocated downtown. A rush hour commute of 30-45 minutes sounds about right, it was actually worse than his new downtown commute because of 610 traffic. (Off-rush commute is ~20 minutes.) However, he was doing the Galleria commute before the 290 reconstruction which is nearing completion and the 290/610 interchange has improved flow. I understand that I-59/69 is about to start major construction so keep that in mind weighing a commute from the southwest.
Very good point regarding the I-69/610 interchange construction - that will impact travel times from Sugar Land and likely from the Pearland area as well. I believe this is projected to be a five year project that ends in 2021. TXDOT has more information about the project and how it will impact traffic flows.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:54 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Is it important to you to be in the suburbs? There are great neighborhoods just south of the Galleria in the 77035 and 77096 areas. Don't be put off by flooding; only some of the neighborhoods flood, others have never flooded. Check out Parkwest and parts of Maplewood South/North. Just look for homes that say "never flooded." You can be zoned to Parker Elementary, an amazing music magnet that just got a beautiful brand new school.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:57 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
My husband is interviewing for a job in Houston. It's so early that I feel ridiculous looking at real estate already, but I have a good feeling about this. I need advice about where to live, and I have many questions. I grew up on the east side and have family still in Houston. It's not like I don't know anything about the city, but it's been 20 years since I lived there.

His job would be on 610 by the Galleria, towards the south. We'd like to keep the commute to below 45 minutes. Price range is likely $300K to $400K. We need a good-to-excellent elementary, as my oldest will start kindergarten next year. Also, I'm all for diversity, but I don't want my kid to be the only white one there. I'd prefer a school where whites make up at least 20%.

I've been looking at homes in Sugar Land, Pearland, and Jersey Village. I've also looked at some zoned to elementaries towards the southwest. I guess that's Bellaire? I've seen several homes zoned to Bellaire High School that appear to be good elementaries, at least by Great School standards. (BTW, I remember Bellaire High being an elite high school back in my day but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, what gives?) I really like the idea of being so close to my husband's work and to city amenities.

As for house characteristics, don't really care much about age or style. We'd want at least 2300 SF and a big enough yard for our kids' giant playset. Low crime would also be desirable, obvs.

I'm also nervous about flooded houses. A lot of the houses zoned to good schools that I'm seeing within 10 or so miles of DH's work were flooded. We don't have the extra income to deal with problems that perhaps weren't taken care of during a remodel, so am I correct to avoid those?

I've been using google map drive times to estimate commutes, and I'm getting about 30-40 minutes leaving at 7:30 AM on a weekday from Pearland and Jersey Village. Is that realistic?

Are there other areas I should be looking at? Am I on the right track? If we can't find an acceptable house zoned to a good school with a reasonable commute within our price range, we might not take the job. Right now my husband has about a 10-minute commute in Dallas, so even going up to 45 minutes will be a shock to his system!
The only way you will replicate your current 10 Minute commute with a price range of $300-$400k is by living in a townhome in the Galleria area itself (zoned to either Briargrove Elementary or St George’s Place Elementary), but it sounds like you are considering single family homes only. Single family homes near the Galleria are priced well beyond &400k.

The Parkwest and Maplewood suggestions are excellent, but keep in mind commuting in rush hour will still take 20-30 min (far better than from suburbs further out. You should be able to find a home with a good-sized lot zoned to a good elementary school.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM

380 posts, read 368,358 times
TotallyTexasBound

I'm not getting any hits for possible houses in First Colony when I put in my search filters on realtor.com. It might be too pricey for us! But I do see a lot of possibilities elsewhere in Sugar Land.

fnh

Good to know about the construction. Definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks for the heads up!

houston-nomad

No it's not important to be in the suburbs. I'd actually prefer to be closer in for access to city amenities and a good commute, and it would be easier to see my family. (Sugar Land to far East Houston where my folks live would be a bear of a drive!) But if going farther out to stay in our price range and have good schools is what we have to do, then we will. I'll check out those zip codes and neighborhoods.

HTownNearNative

Oh no, I know that my husband's current 10-minute commute is not normal and I don't expect to replicate that in Houston with our budget! I would be thrilled for my husband to end up with only a 20 or 30 minute commute. We have to have a yard for our kids, so townhomes aren't an option.

Any other suggestions for in-town neighborhoods?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
Look into Post Oak Manor. It's the realistic shortest commute your husband can have because the access to 610 is better than Westbury/Parkwest/Maplewood. Some people aren't a fan of Red Elementary but I think it's a really strong school with a STEM magnet program.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,439 times
I think Katy may serve your needs, obviously, they had the flood issue in some areas, but not all.

Pearland is nice and I lived there for 4 years (really close to JJ Watt) but the construction on 288 is about to start for a 3 year project and will be a complete nightmare. (Although this may help you get a great deal )

Jersey Village might be an option, but again- are they ever going to finish on 290?

Sure you can buy a flooded house. Are you getting a great deal? Probably not. Could it flood again? Maybe. Was it rehabbed correctly? Maybe. Will insurance be higher in a flooded area? Yes. Too many negatives in my opinion, but to each their own.

Here's the deal- land/yards are expensive in "good" areas near the Galleria. So you will have to sacrifice the yard if you stay close and do the townhome thing- or small home with small yard.

Or - do the 45 minute drive to Sugarland/Katy/JV.

You can buy a really nice house 350 range in those areas.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
I'll second looking in 77035/77096, focusing on elementary schools Parker, Kolter, Herod and Lovett, and Meyerland as the middle. I wouldn't worry too much about high school as chances are you will move again before that. I live in Meyerland and commute to the same area, and my drive is about 20 minutes after dropping my kid off at school, which is just a few blocks away. The nice thing is it is a very consistent drive, and there are a few different options to get to the area if the West Loop is messy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston