Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
So every home that has ever flooded, even just once, is a lost cause?
It is if we don't start re-examining how and where we build this stuff, and soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,335 times
I think there’s widespread agreement that new construction must be kept out of vulnerable areas and must mitigate the runoff that it causes. I’d also agree with requiring all new construction in previously-flooded areas to be elevated.

But it’s not realistic to expect huge swaths of Houston and Katy that flooded for the first time ever, despite not being in any floodplain, to be written off. If the City, County, or whatever relevant governing body wanted to do this, they missed their chance. Homes have been rebuilt, and in some cases sold to new buyers.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 PM

You can forget "flood plain" and historical data of rainfall and its effects once that entire area, and later the surroundings, are developed and all their streets flow into the same overloaded reservoir.

Harvey wasn't as bad as it could be. Harvey was only a warning shot. There have been three so-called "500-year floods" since 2015. We've at the very least witnessed that historical average drop significantly. Any one could be the last show for that tired old dam, and you don't want to be anywhere along Buffalo Bayou when it does.

The number one priority for this region right now is finding where to put another large reservoir (or expand the existing ones) and giving that water a wider berth in general. Right now, more political gain seems to be had out of building a wall on a border instead of a reservoir or repairing a dam to ensure the safety of one of the country's largest population centers.

At least we still have the Astrodome.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,049,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You can forget "flood plain" and historical data of rainfall and its effects once that entire area, and later the surroundings, are developed and all their streets flow into the same overloaded reservoir.

Harvey wasn't as bad as it could be. Harvey was only a warning shot. There have been three so-called "500-year floods" since 2015. We've at the very least witnessed that historical average drop significantly. Any one could be the last show for that tired old dam, and you don't want to be anywhere along Buffalo Bayou when it does.

The number one priority for this region right now is finding where to put another large reservoir (or expand the existing ones) and giving that water a wider berth in general. Right now, more political gain seems to be had out of building a wall on a border instead of a reservoir or repairing a dam to ensure the safety of one of the country's largest population centers.

At least we still have the Astrodome.
This is the scary truth that people don't want to think about. A storm like Harvey that made landfall as a hurricane at Galveston, and pushed storm surge up the ship channel, and then rained like hell for a few days... wow.

That's why I made a video record of all the contents of my Clear Lake office. Buh-bye, Clear Lake, in that scenario.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
I think there’s widespread agreement that new construction must be kept out of vulnerable areas and must mitigate the runoff that it causes. I’d also agree with requiring all new construction in previously-flooded areas to be elevated.
You are assuming that politicians in Houston care more about our city than about making money.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
This is the scary truth that people don't want to think about. A storm like Harvey that made landfall as a hurricane at Galveston, and pushed storm surge up the ship channel, and then rained like hell for a few days... wow.

That's why I made a video record of all the contents of my Clear Lake office. Buh-bye, Clear Lake, in that scenario.
If Harvey made landfall at Galveston, the "wet side" would have been east of Houston. Harvey actually hit at the worst location possible under the worst pressure systems possible for maximum rainfall over Houston and took a track unlike any other known major hurricane, essentially stalling in place.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If Harvey made landfall at Galveston, the "wet side" would have been east of Houston. Harvey actually hit at the worst location possible under the worst pressure systems possible for maximum rainfall over Houston and took a track unlike any other known major hurricane, essentially stalling in place.
Here's what could have happened.

When Harvey went back into the Gulf off Galveston, it could have tracked northward before eastward and make a second hurricane landfall over an already flooded urban area.

Folks, we don't have historical models for a scenario like that. We have storm surge models for the immediate coastal area, bay shore and bayous that drain directly into the bay. Storm surge is just surface water being pushed by wind. A second landfall over a city sitting in four feet of water would be a sort of an inland storm surge event. It might have been enough to trigger a full-on failure of the dams and reservoirs.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
As such - it's not really correct to say that there's no point in expanding the bayous to handle more flow
That's exactly what I'm saying we should do. That, and we don't have to keep building houses right up against the reservoirs that are documented to be inadequate for the water retention needs of the region.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Here's what could have happened.

When Harvey went back into the Gulf off Galveston, it could have tracked northward before eastward and make a second hurricane landfall over an already flooded urban area.
We don't have historical models because we don't have any historical record of that. Here's what else could have happened: an asteroid could have slammed into the Gulf of Mexico and sent a 1000 foot wall of water that petered out around Dallas. We do have a historical record of that.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We don't have historical models because we don't have any historical record of that. Here's what else could have happened: an asteroid could have slammed into the Gulf of Mexico and sent a 1000 foot wall of water that petered out around Dallas. We do have a historical record of that.
And I bet I would have stayed up all night if that did happen, like I did that night when it looked like the scenario I put forth was distinctly possible.

We can either learn from this or not. It's pretty clear which one we're choosing.

It's a major factor as to why I have no plans to remain here. I'll just "evacuate" now, since last August I had to explain to people in Michigan why nine million people can't just pick up and leave when a massive blob of rain stalls over an area the size of Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: