Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 AM

35 posts, read 60,421 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info! didnt know that at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 06:00 PM

54 posts, read 92,963 times
Of course, I do not think my kids are anything that special but they seem reasonably bright. All A's in elementary is pretty meaningless for sure.

My plan is to apply to SJS, Kinkaid and Awty at 6th and 9th if they don't get anywhere at 6th. 4th choice would be to move and put them in Clements for HS (we live in SL but not zones to Clements). I didn't realize Strake was a religious school - I can't put my kids in such an environment.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:27 AM

86 posts, read 132,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiator11 View Post
Of course, I do not think my kids are anything that special but they seem reasonably bright. All A's in elementary is pretty meaningless for sure.

My plan is to apply to SJS, Kinkaid and Awty at 6th and 9th if they don't get anywhere at 6th. 4th choice would be to move and put them in Clements for HS (we live in SL but not zones to Clements). I didn't realize Strake was a religious school - I can't put my kids in such an environment.
I hope my comment on Straight A's didn't come across as condescending-while they may not "stand out" usually they're a marker that things are going well and your children on track for success. I may be speaking out of turn, but I think a lot of parents would be surprised by what they consider "religious schools." Strake may not be what you're looking for (again, the best way to know is by visiting), but you will find many schools with religious affiliations/connections or beginnings (St. John's School for example is on your list). I think a lot of people are surprised to find out that students at St. John's go to chapel and that chapel is guided by and operating under Judeo-Christian beliefs and celebrations. The school was originally tied to the Episcopalian Church St. John the Divine.

You'll find a lot of schools with religious ties will often require community service and provide "character development" or "spiritual education." Some schools with religious ties or connections are more known, but I hope that families don't automatically discount schools because of what they consider "religious schools."

Old 04-20-2018, 03:48 PM

I did not take your post as condescending at all - I am not one of those parents who believe their kids to be gifted or special snowflakes just because they do well in elementary school. I don't really think in those terms, but rather that they seem above average as students, so perhaps they will blossom even more in the right school setting.

Stake seems like a nice school, but talking to people it does seem to have more of a religious slant than other private high schools around. However, it is also more reasonable in terms of tuition, so certainly I am not ruling it out.

Since I have a boy and a girl - I would have to do the Strake / St. Agnes combo and I think it would probably just be preferable if I can have them both at the same school is feasible.

It appears to me the best time to apply for these schools would be 5th grade during the spring - does that sound correct? If they don't get in try again 8th grade spring?

Old 04-20-2018, 03:58 PM

64 posts, read 135,137 times
Applications are usually due in early December, so you would apply in the fall of 5th or 8th grade, not spring.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiator11 View Post
I did not take your post as condescending at all - I am not one of those parents who believe their kids to be gifted or special snowflakes just because they do well in elementary school. I don't really think in those terms, but rather that they seem above average as students, so perhaps they will blossom even more in the right school setting.

Stake seems like a nice school, but talking to people it does seem to have more of a religious slant than other private high schools around. However, it is also more reasonable in terms of tuition, so certainly I am not ruling it out.

Since I have a boy and a girl - I would have to do the Strake / St. Agnes combo and I think it would probably just be preferable if I can have them both at the same school is feasible.

It appears to me the best time to apply for these schools would be 5th grade during the spring - does that sound correct? If they don't get in try again 8th grade spring?
I know a number of parents who do go the Strake for boys and St. Agnes for girls route.

For most schools, if you're aiming for the best chances (most spots available) -you'll want to start applying in about September/October of their 5th grade year, and September/October of the 8th grade year (this would be for 6th and 9th grade entry). Most schools post their new applications around the Labor Day weekend. If you begin around October you'll still be fine. October and November tend to be the times for Private School Open Houses. I always recommend you attend the Open Houses of all the schools to which you're seriously considering. How a school treats the Open Houses can give you a great glimpse of what you can expect at a lot of events in the future. It shouldn't be the "be-all and end-all," but it can often serve as a preview. For elementary schools -kids are not as often encouraged to attend, but by the time they are applying for Middle School -it's often helpful to bring them along if they're allowed. You're paying the bill, so your opinion should hold a major stake, but kids are the ones who will be attending the school, so I think it's often important to get their buy-in as well. If the school to which you're applying allows prospective students to shadow -I definitely encourage you to pursue it. Many schools know that 5th and 8th grades are the time that students will be missing some days to visit prospective Schools. I would just check with a teacher on when the best time to visit might be. Sometimes there is a particular day that might focus more on review, some days are easier to make up, so it will be helpful if you can be honest with your children's current school about missing days. Some of the more well known schools will only allow students to shadow if they're accepted, but if you're applying to a school that allows your child to shadow prior to acceptance definitely consider it. It may save you time rather than visiting multiple places in a short window when making decisions, or it can save you time if it's not the right fit for your family or your child and you won't have to finish the application process.

The most helpful advice I can give is -check out the individual websites for Deadlines. While most Houston Private Schools have a similar time frame, there are always exceptions. You don't want your child to miss out on a spot because you're a day late on a deadline.

As for your question on re-applying -There really aren't too many rules on that. I know parents who applied for a school in 6th grade, weren't accepted and applied in 7th and were. I also know parents who applied for 6th grade and applied for 7th, 8th and 9th and were never accepted.

At some schools, you can the Admissions Department to get a sense of if it's "Worth applying" for a particular year, especially an off-year, but sometimes their best answer is that they are uncertain. Sometimes families move mid-year, sometimes someone has lost their job and is unable to afford tuition, and sometimes new families find out that the school they've chosen just isn't the right fit and don't return for a second year. There's always a chance, even if sometimes it seems very unlikely.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 16,557 times
Anyone else get moved from a wait pool recently? I'm trying to stay hopeful...

Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthtx View Post
Anyone else get moved from a wait pool recently? I'm trying to stay hopeful...
Now is usually the time when private schools have solidified their lists for the year. Since most schools are in their last few weeks and everyone wants to have an idea of where their child will be, there usually is not much movement. To be fair, there's always the possibility of a family moving away and a spot becoming open, but it really becomes less likely at this point.

I hope that your family may have a back-up plan, but if not, there are some options that might be on more of a "Rolling Admissions." At the very least I would recommend checking in with other options so that your child(ren) will at least have a spot secured in the event that the Wait Pool doesn't go your way.

All the best. I hope that whatever your news is, that's it's good news.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 16,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasb713 View Post
Now is usually the time when private schools have solidified their lists for the year. Since most schools are in their last few weeks and everyone wants to have an idea of where their child will be, there usually is not much movement. To be fair, there's always the possibility of a family moving away and a spot becoming open, but it really becomes less likely at this point.

I hope that your family may have a back-up plan, but if not, there are some options that might be on more of a "Rolling Admissions." At the very least I would recommend checking in with other options so that your child(ren) will at least have a spot secured in the event that the Wait Pool doesn't go your way.

All the best. I hope that whatever your news is, that's it's good news.
Thank you for the advice. It's just so hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: