Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,141,425 times

Advertisements

I never understood the need for the subway. I always take the parking shuttle or get dropped off at the terminal where my plane departs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 06:36 AM

1,180 posts, read 971,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Yes, I've flown into Newark and took a quick train ride into the heart of Manhattan. I was able to get there without a car
Plus, I believe they have a connection to LaGuardia now so Yes. I don;t think NYC being light on public transportation is much of an argument.
There is no subway or LRT to LGA. I don't think it's a knock against IAH that they don't have one.

Edit: JFK doesn't have a single line that connects directly to Manhattan but is served by a combination of transit options.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:54 AM

1,636 posts, read 1,212,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The "subway" at IAH was designed by the company that made the tram at Walt Disney World, so it's probably an accurate description. But the most embarrassing thing is probably what the visitor sees when they leave the airport and try to get to why they came to Houston at all.
After riding that “ride” but Before leaving the airport, you forgot about dealing with some of the airport workers. Clearly it is a jobs program to keep people off the street, and keep them from going back to jail again. That is the biggest embarrassment IMO.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default Newark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
After riding that “ride” but Before leaving the airport, you forgot about dealing with some of the airport workers. Clearly it is a jobs program to keep people off the street, and keep them from going back to jail again. That is the biggest embarrassment IMO.
Do you mean the TSA Gangstas? Most, but not all, are just a bunch of low IQ people who have managed to not get arrested, and so got hired there. These are people who are so low on the Totem Pole that they feel a need to exert their 'authority' on passengers by barking orders, and pissing you off, just because they can. Gangstas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7AWw7t5zj0

Old 03-16-2018, 07:38 AM

1,636 posts, read 1,212,950 times
The TSA has actually cleaned up their act over the years. I’m talking about the airport staff and especially those who work at arrivals, embarrassing this city with their first impressions. But that is another topic.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:07 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,174,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
As you know, the railroads have huge swaths of land that their rails run through, three miles on each side.
Three MILES on each side? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
I never understood the need for the subway. I always take the parking shuttle or get dropped off at the terminal where my plane departs.
The issue is when you need to get to another terminal, especially for a parked car. Sure, it's no problem when you come in & out to the same terminal. But I've had United leave from C, and return to B. Remember, once you get your luggage, you are landside (ie, you've left security),and there is no way to take the intra-terminal train. You either take the Disney Express, or you walk. A. Long. Way.

This happened to my just a few months ago, United returned to a different terminal that where I parked. I took the train, and there was a person riding it, taking a survey of the riders, asking how they used it. I assume this is the prelude to actually doing something.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:24 AM

2,969 posts, read 1,922,510 times
Side question - did any of the underground infrastructure at IAH flood during Harvey? I don't remember of hearing of it, and they got everything fixed up pretty quickly if it did...

Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Do you mean the TSA Gangstas? Most, but not all, are just a bunch of low IQ people who have managed to not get arrested, and so got hired there.
It's like the line that divides prison guards from the guys on the other side of the bars.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM

108 posts, read 170,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
The last two times I have been to IAH, I had either gate changes or United flights that left out of A. I always manage to forget that A does not have a United check in gate, so the bus will drop me at A and then I have to take the subway back to B for check in. I realize that is my fault, but I travel pretty frequently and still mess that up so I imagine that happens a lot. It would be a real pain if there was no real way to get to the other terminals in a somewhat efficient manner.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 AM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
The more I travel around the country, the more I wonder how we consider ourselves a top tier city and yet we do NOT have a rail connecting downtown to our major airport.

Just an example of the lack of connected vision of what type of city we should become.
San Francisco, with BART, just connected their airport about 15 years ago.

Dulles isn't yet connected by rail in DC.

La Guardia in NYC isn't directly connected by rail either.

So I guess San Francisco just recently became a top tier city and New York and Washington DC aren't there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston