Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,606 times

Advertisements

We are planning to build our first home in Bridgeland through Coventry. Would like to know more about Coventry and their build quality, warranty etc...

Also, do they usually provide incentives for building and are their incentives competitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 AM

30 posts, read 53,102 times
I don't know much about Coventry but I am closing on a Perry in Parkland Village today. Make sure you ask about the up to 10 K incentive through the end of the month, I believe.

BL is hot right now so incentives in addition to the 10 K could be hard to obtain. It doesn't hurt to ask for what you want and see what the builder says.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,171,880 times
Coventry is the high-end division of MHI Homes. They have a good reputation, solid builder, been around 20+ years (that says something right there). They use good suppliers & subs, so you have the comfort of knowing your house wasn't built by the lowest bidder.

I'm not familiar with current pricing on BL homes. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2018, 12:39 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,803,264 times
My mom used Coventry in Towne Lake nearby and is pretty happy with the quality overall other than a minor roofing issue.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 PM

270 posts, read 402,351 times
Don’t own a Coventry home but have been family friends with an MHI executive for decades. Every time I see him he always asks who I know that has bought from them and are they happy (they all are). The fact that he’s thinking about this even on weekend time with some friends speaks volumes about how much they care about their product.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:40 AM

488 posts, read 1,376,835 times
We bought a Coventry Home in Pearland in 2008. I would say we have been happy in general. We did do quite a few upgrades and have had no 'major problems'. In our almost 10 years we have had to replace both water tanks in the attic and one a/c unit. Oh and our fireplace is currently out of service - it will need replaced and our iron fence at the back is on the list too. We also had to replace our GE microwave and the control panel to our oven, they were definitely lower end appliances. No structural problems and they were good about attending to our snag list items in the first year of being in the home. If I have one complaint it's the light/fan fixtures - they put in fixtures with the most awkward bulb size/base that have been difficult but not impossible to source. I hope newer homes have regular 'screw in' type bulbs - it's a small thing but annoying.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:25 PM

467 posts, read 1,179,052 times
Our last house was a Coventry house. We lived there for over 8 years. We didn't have any structural issues, they were easy to work with during the building process, and quick to address any warranty issues afterwards. We did have to replace both water tanks after 7 yrs (maybe consider upgrading to a better water tanks/heaters) and the AC coil replaced after 3 years (we had to pay for labor since the coil was still under warranty). We used Fox Inspection and they told us that the house was built well since they didn't find much during their inspection.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:10 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,872,111 times
I like Coventry but I don’t like Wilshire which is also MHI. Wilshire finishing feels cheap.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:16 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I like Coventry but I don’t like Wilshire which is also MHI. Wilshire finishing feels cheap.
MHI bought Wilshire in 2011, during the building recession, so they are not a "home-grown" MHI company. Also, I think (not sure?) they are only in Central Texas--Austin and SA--and not in Houston.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:36 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,998,728 times
We purchased a Wilshire inventory home in Shadow Creek Ranch in Pearland in the early 2000s. That was the original Wilshire. That home was overbuilt for it's time. We lived in it for 11 year and had zero maintenance, small or big, for the entire time (all our home expenditures were of the optional nature). We lost some siding in Rita but in general fared better during that storm than other builders in SCR. Our neighbors that had/have Wilshire homes all reported the same. We didn't build but they were constructing others on the street when we decided to buy and walking through the frames inspired a lot of confidence compared to other builders. The building super was also incredibly professional and was always on site. As if every house was built for him to live in.

I think I heard the original Wilshire ran out of money and then someone bought the name a couple years later. I suppose that was MHI. But it's possible it's exchanged hands more than once since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston