Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 16,557 times

Advertisements

HOW TO ADOPT

Visit HoustonAdoptaDrain.org, sign in with your name & email address
Go to your email inbox and look for the welcoming link, just click on it and you are set!
Enter your street address to search for a storm drain
Claim your drain and give it name
Keep your drain clean and litter free
Share your #ClaimYourDrain on social (we love photos & video)
Want to know more? adoptadrain@houstontx.gov
Interested in sponsorship? areed@houstonbeautiful.org | 832-393-1123

Website here:

https://cohegis.houstontx.gov/cohgisweb/adopta/

GET INVOLVED
Adopt-a-Drain partners make a commitment to:

Adopt at least one storm drain and keep it clear of leaves & trash
Clean 10 feet on both sides of the drain at least 4 times per year at each location (especially before it rains)
Compost or place leaves in lawn bag or compostable bag (City of Houston trash)
Place any trash in your garbage bin
Let the City of Houston know if you can no longer support your drain, so we can open it up to someone else!
By adopting a drain, partners receive information and tips from the City of Houston and Keep Houston Beautiful, notification of upcoming Houston Adopt-a-Drain events, and a Storm Water Inlet Marker (first 100). More than that, you’re helping to keep Houston clean and reduce future flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 09:19 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Hmmm...

You (COH) impose a rain tax, make me pay an impervious fee based on how much square feet of roof, driveway and sidewalk I have all in the name of flood control.... then you want me to clean the F*ng drains for you? Are you serious?! Only an idiot will adopt a drain... that is like being told to bend over, then asking for a stick of butter in response. No.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
You (COH) impose a rain tax, make me pay an impervious fee based on how much square feet of roof, driveway and sidewalk I have all in the name of flood control.... then you want me to clean the F*ng drains for you? Are you serious?! Only an idiot will adopt a drain... that is like being told to bend over, then asking for a stick of butter in response. No.
It's like saying how we pay taxes for highways, so why does the local Boy Scout troop and 4H club have to adopt the highways?

Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's like saying how we pay taxes for highways, so why does the local Boy Scout troop and 4H club have to adopt the highways?
Yeah, well, they are beautifying the road, picking up trash and all, not performing maintenance on the infrastructure. Homeowners, or businesses should not have to clean out drains, that's the city's job. Maybe someday they'll ask for volunteers to vacuum street sewer lines if they clog up. It is not like the city has too many employees... after all, the COH needs 3-5 Foremen watching one Latino, or Black man dig a ditch. Gotta have those eyes on the job.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Yeah, well, they are beautifying the road, picking up trash and all, not performing maintenance on the infrastructure. Homeowners, or businesses should not have to clean out drains, that's the city's job.
I'd rather clean out a drain than rip out and replace drywall because my house flooded, but that's just me. You know I'm kind of an odd cat like that.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
I'd rather clean out a drain than rip out and replace drywall because my house flooded, but that's just me. You know I'm kind of an odd cat like that.
Why instead of doing this you can't make sure that the city does it's job? 2.6% property tax rate is not a joke, you are supposed to get at least something in return.
If people start cleaning their own drains instead of demanding proper service from the city as it is supposed to be, the city stops doing what it is supposed to do and you end up doing its work on a permanent basis. And guess what...of course they will also increase your property taxes next year.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Why instead of doing this you can't make sure that the city does it's job? 2.6% property tax rate is not a joke, you are supposed to get at least something in return.
If people start cleaning their own drains instead of demanding proper service from the city as it is supposed to be, the city stops doing what it is supposed to do and you end up doing its work on a permanent basis. And guess what...of course they will also increase your property taxes next year.
I'm not saying you're the type who blows all the leaves and grass clippings and stuff from your lawn into the street so it ends up clogging the gutter. But you sound like you're the type who blows all the leaves and type who blows all the leaves and grass clippings and stuff from your lawn into the street so it ends up clogging the gutter.

"I pay taxes so that other people will take care of it."

Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
I'm not saying you're the type who blows all the leaves and grass clippings and stuff from your lawn into the street so it ends up clogging the gutter. But you sound like you're the type who blows all the leaves and type who blows all the leaves and grass clippings and stuff from your lawn into the street so it ends up clogging the gutter.
Why do you think so?

Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Quote:
Only way you are going to make sure the city does it’s job is by getting elected yourself.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Why do you think so?
I don't know. You do seem to want to outsource all responsibility for the safety of your home and talk about how much you pay in taxes. There are a lot of storm drains across 600 square miles, I do know that much.

When the next flood comes, will you still be waiting for the city to clear your drains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: