U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 PM
 
1,235 posts, read 1,823,498 times
Reputation: 1087

Advertisements

They are still there. You clearly can tell when walking around who's there for the convention and who's there for extracurricular stuff. As far as a general increase around the city, I don't know but the girls go where the money is (and the spouses aren't). I'd be surprised if there wasn't elevated activity throughout the city this week.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2018, 08:48 AM
 
17,009 posts, read 23,152,346 times
Reputation: 15323
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
What happened to the prostitutes? Couple of years ago, the HPD Chief and an anti-human trafficking organization representative were highlighting the sad reality that conventions temporarily increase the supply-and-demand of this lewd industry all over the TV news.
I never ever ..... want to hear anybody complain about that
after seeing this story

Ex-United pilot who ran Houston brothels gets probation and $2000 fine

The judge ordered Wallis to spend five years on deferred adjudication probation, pay $2,000 fine and perform 150 hours of community service — which he suggested he serve at a woman's shelter. If Wallis completes the probation, he will not have a felony conviction on his record and can keep his FAA-issued pilot's license, with which he operates his other business, a flight school. He was suspended from United Airlines after his arrest.
Wallis, 53, was charged in 2015 with aggravated promotion of prostitution and engaging in criminal activity, accused of being the mastermind behind an illicit empire including about a half-dozen brothels in Galleria-area apartments and northwest Houston office buildings with six to 10 women.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Mo City, TX
1,728 posts, read 3,242,715 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhere but here View Post
Okay, so how much money is being spent on this conference and all off the party favors?
That is the first cost cutting measure. Stop spending money money like a drunken sailor on things that could be done by email or some other inexpensive method.
You gotta spend money to make money
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Houston
4,909 posts, read 3,834,391 times
Reputation: 3864
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Legal services is the fourth major industry--often forgotten--in this town. Houston is a good place to live and work if you're a lawyer/paralegal.

Three law schools, the private South Texas College of Law, and formerly the only two public schools in Texas outside of UT-Austin, UH Law Center and TSU--notable since Sweatt v. Painter forced the State of Texas to form a Negro law school and ended up creating the other public HBCU in the state (Prairie View is in the exurbs).

Since Houston is a global focused city, there are plenty of foreign-licensed lawyers who offer their services to deal with matters within a foreign country. Most of the international lawyers in Texas are in the Houston area.

A few huge law firms are headquartered Downtown. Their size resembles the Big 4 Accounting offices.

There is plenty of vacant office space in the Houston area. The Dallas and Austin housing market is becoming unaffordable--prices are starting to resemble California with Texas wages. I could see companies coming to Houston because of housing and COL affordability for a major American metro.

Calgary was booming uncontrollably during the oil boom and government officials and civilians were complaining about the challenges for massive growth in a short time span. It was a lesson that growth overwhelming the infrastructure at one time is really bad.
I'm sure that the Legal Services sector is substantial, and in Downtown it is an important driver of office occupancy (and to a much lesser extent in Greenway and Uptown) - but aren't a good-sized share of such services here being provided to the O&G industry, or providers to O&G? How much of the legal services sector is providing services unrelated to O&G and furthermore "exporting" those services to customers outside the Houston region?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 AM
 
35 posts, read 22,053 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
What happened to the prostitutes? Couple of years ago, the HPD Chief and an anti-human trafficking organization representative were highlighting the sad reality that conventions temporarily increase the supply-and-demand of this lewd industry all over the TV news.
I worked last year from September to around December at a job where I to take that stretch of Bissonnett between Beltway 8 and 59. There are girls there walking at 7 in the morning and also when I would leave at 4:30. I would assume not much has changed since, well, they have been there since The Potomac Indians made peace with the Seminoles. There's nothing more entertaining than watching some gump getting arrested while eating a little Popeye's on a Tuesday, enjoying that leg and thigh special.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 10:16 AM
 
17,009 posts, read 23,152,346 times
Reputation: 15323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhere but here View Post
Did you read that in an economics book some where? Perfect example of why we are considered some of the least educated people on the planet.
The big oil companies in Houston disagree with you
All of them spent millions on advertisements while they were laying people off
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
12,063 posts, read 12,404,669 times
Reputation: 7232
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Legal services is the fourth major industry--often forgotten--in this town. Houston is a good place to live and work if you're a lawyer/paralegal.

Three law schools, the private South Texas College of Law, and formerly the only two public schools in Texas outside of UT-Austin, UH Law Center and TSU--notable since Sweatt v. Painter forced the State of Texas to form a Negro law school and ended up creating the other public HBCU in the state (Prairie View is in the exurbs).

Since Houston is a global focused city, there are plenty of foreign-licensed lawyers who offer their services to deal with matters within a foreign country. Most of the international lawyers in Texas are in the Houston area.

A few huge law firms are headquartered Downtown. Their size resembles the Big 4 Accounting offices.

There is plenty of vacant office space in the Houston area. The Dallas and Austin housing market is becoming unaffordable--prices are starting to resemble California with Texas wages. I could see companies coming to Houston because of housing and COL affordability for a major American metro.

Calgary was booming uncontrollably during the oil boom and government officials and civilians were complaining about the challenges for massive growth in a short time span. It was a lesson that growth overwhelming the infrastructure at one time is really bad.
I was reading that times are very difficult in Calgary and Alberta in general right now as there economy is very tied to O&G.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 02:41 PM
 
1,743 posts, read 3,567,525 times
Reputation: 2430
Things are booming, construction everywhere I see, single family, retail and commercial. I can't keep home inventory on the ground, almost all selling prior to completion. In fact, we have a serious construction labor shortage. Desperate need for drywall installers, tile setters, painters...etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 03:56 PM
 
450 posts, read 674,907 times
Reputation: 356
So are we in a real estate market cycle?
I think hope / optimism stage

It was not as bad as I thought it would be

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
12,063 posts, read 12,404,669 times
Reputation: 7232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Things are booming, construction everywhere I see, single family, retail and commercial. I can't keep home inventory on the ground, almost all selling prior to completion. In fact, we have a serious construction labor shortage. Desperate need for drywall installers, tile setters, painters...etc.
This is all the people reconstructing their homes due to Harvey flooding.

The underlying economic fundamentals aren't strong though.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top