Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,565 times

Advertisements

I suspect that a house in my neighborhood is a Section 8 rental, which is against the deed restrictions. Is there a way I can look up what houses are section 8 rentals? I know you can look up available rentals, but I need to look up a house that is already rented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
If I remember right, your deed cannot restrict a Section 8 housing rental. I am pretty certain this is against federal law. With that said, I think your best bet is to call the landlord of that property directly and ask if he accepts Section 8 in general. If he says yes, you got your answer. You might want to talk to your HOA president just to make sure that such a statute is not illegally written into your deed restrictions. Obviously, that could cause a big headache.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
the city zones for section 8 rentals not landlords per se because not just any apt complex can decide to go to Section 8 or offer section 8--they usually have to have special zoning hearing as well with citizens' input
I would think that when neighborhood charters are approved by the developer/city council there are guidelines as to types of zoning there as well--and probably some guidelines as to what types of conversions can happen
I think it would not be in a city's best interests to have Section 8 housing happening in neighborhoods of higher value homes because of what that would do to property valuations...

so I do think there could be something that is not right with someone doing a section 8 rental in a neighborhood
it is against the law to avoid renting to people because of race or religious preference --or probably gay as well --and definitely because they have children...but I do think there might be reason to belive that having an individual Section 8 rental in a neighborhood that is not zoned for it might be illegal--
contact the city zoning to find out if that is allowed in your town without special zoning and if an individual homeowner can rent under section 8 if HOA says no--Section 8s have to be under oversight of the city because it makes up the difference between what the renter can pay and what the landlord wants in rental amount--
I don't think the city will tell you if a home is a Section 8 property because you are not an involved party but
depending on what the city tells you it is probably within the HOA's power to get clarification of the rental agreement

Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Houston does not have zoning love2read.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:51 AM

344 posts, read 1,186,893 times
I don't know for a fact, but it seems to me that being a Section 8 recipient does not make anyone a "protected class" of renter. There are members of protected classes that are voucher holders, but I don't know the numbers/percentages of Section 8 users broken down by ethnicity/gender. While some landlords/HOAs might use a bar against renting to Section 8 voucher recipients as a veil to hide housing discrimination, I can also see many of them doing so for practical and legitimate reasons. As long as they ban all Section 8 rentals, regardless of the race/gender of the renter, they are not discriminating.

Here is a recent story out of Riviera Beach, FL., that includes this tidbit:
Quote:
According to the lawsuit, Sonoma Bay has rented some of the 60 developer-owned units in the 302-unit community to low-income renters under the federal Section 8 program. The city of Riviera Beach has an ordinance that prohibits developers from renting to recipients of Section 8 vouchers, the lawsuit said. (emphasis added)
Buyer wants money back for townhome ‘hell’ | HOA Nut House

Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 AM

175 posts, read 938,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
I suspect that a house in my neighborhood is a Section 8 rental, which is against the deed restrictions. Is there a way I can look up what houses are section 8 rentals? I know you can look up available rentals, but I need to look up a house that is already rented.
Either PM me the address or provide here and I can check old MLS listings on HAR.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
At one point "source of income" was going to be added to the 7 protected classes, (race, creed, color, sex, national origin, familiar or handicap status). This was specifically designed to make any rental available for section 8 from what I understood at that time. I don't think that was ever done so no, there is no Federal law that prevents people from not doing sec 8.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Please excuse my ignorance, but exactly what is "Section 8"? I've heard the term for years but dont know what it is.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but exactly what is "Section 8"? I've heard the term for years but dont know what it is.
Cliff note version is it is a program for low-income people where the government pays for a portion of their rent. Often a large percentage of it. Depending upon what the amount of their allowance or whatever you call it, it can make some very nice places affordable. Too nice IMO for people on the government dime, but I digress.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Thanks, modster. And I agree totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston