U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 AM

273 posts, read 239,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
You are kidding right? There is a ton of great stuff all over the loop. Also I can easily walk to my neighborhood grocery store and some restaurants here versus having to drive miles in the suburbs to get to anything.
He has to be kidding.

We have five grocery stores within two miles of our house in West U. We might be the most over-groceried (I think I just made up a term!) area is the world.

Other than access to a water park I would be surprised if there is anything in the suburbs that we don't have at least the same or better access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 AM

865 posts, read 593,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I know alot of people who had access to homes off 610 and Meyerland years ago but chose not to pursue those homes for whatever reason and are kicking themselves at times cause of the values. But at that same time, those areas hit some rough patches and it wasn't the safest. Folks kept moving West/SW as a result but the same things kept happening but the difference is not everyone can move back in at the price you move out so that stems the tide.

However though, as much as inner city living is desired, your still missing things the suburbs have and most of the things inner loopers congregate at is basically on 1 or 2 major streets (Westheimer/Bellaire, etc.) The suburbs offer easier access to day-to-day items for the family as a whole.
Just out of curiosity, what is missing in the inner loop that the suburbs have?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:25 AM

2,731 posts, read 1,211,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Bellaire, Kirby and Memorial-schools and location close to jobs.
River Oaks-location close to jobs.

I've never figured out how so many people can afford all these expensive homes. Good investments maybe.
I turned into Beinhorn instead of Memorial, you got to see those houses!!!

Even if a family made 300k, I am not sure they can afford it unless they worked all their lives. And I don't think one would go for a mortgage if they can afford a 5mn home. There are high chances that some of them are ancestral or owned by business people.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM

47 posts, read 24,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is missing in the inner loop that the suburbs have?
Space/lot size, less traffic and better public school districts

Old 06-26-2018, 12:10 PM

1,234 posts, read 3,663,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post
Generally not lot size as single-family suburban homes are packed in, too, it's just the homes can be larger on the same size lots. Traffic in Sugarland, Woodlands, etc., on a weekend rivals the worst the city has to offer. And as has been discussed, suburban schools aren't necessarily any better or worse. They can be more socio-economically pure, though, which many people equate with better. Or they have generally higher test scores, which doesn't mean better, it means "better taking tests."

Old 06-26-2018, 04:23 PM

4,516 posts, read 11,309,583 times
The only time I deal with bad traffic is when I have to drive out of Houston to the suburbs. Many Houston neighborhoods have large lots, its just the houses cost more then they do in the suburbs.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:21 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Bellaire and West University would have been undesirable 20-30 years ago because of the old small houses, mostly 1950's ranches and some now 100-year old houses in Bellaire. People would have preferred new houses down the Southwest Freeway on the edge of the city since the post-war suburban boom was at the peak. The city only became popular with the increased commuting times when the metro area started doubling in population, the ensuing traffic jams degrading the quality of life, and developers tearing down/renovating old houses in urban neighborhoods.

Lamar Terrace in the 1990s is a good example of the inner-city teardown phenomenon that popped up in the last decade. This formerly run-down subdivision had been an open secret for a long time, despite the desirable location adjacent to the upscale Galleria mall and Uptown offices.

Here's a good example of a run-down 1950's ranch still left and the teardowns that surround it:
https://goo.gl/maps/mUxE6HJ3zNn

I just can't believe that long-time Houstonians are willing to pay double for the same house in the suburbs. $600,000 for a Houstonian would be considered excessive, but a reasonable price for a California transplant. With the reliance of property taxes in Texas, you might be struggling or forced out of your longtime residence if it gets gentrified by teardowns.
Your timing is off even if your general point isn't. In the 70s, there was a slight negative to being in West U. That very rapidly changed in the 80s. 20-30 years ago, Bellaire and West U. were at good premiums. By 20 years ago, West U. was probably already 2nd behind River Oaks in price per sq. ft.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:24 PM

1,130 posts, read 516,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post
Hmm, we live inside the loop on a lot that's 11,000 sq ft, have multiple grocery stores, minimal traffic, and our kid goes to a magnet high school that's amazing. Moving to the burbs would be a step down.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:44 PM

954 posts, read 824,627 times
Minimal traffic inside the loop? What are y’all smoking and can I have some?

I used to live in West U, great neighborhood and I loved living there, but traffic anywhere near the med center or greenway plaza was terrible. The close distances to nearby amenities meant that it didn’t take too long to get around even though you were moving slowly, but make no mistake - traffic was bad. With a far higher population density than the burbs and huge offices generating a ton of commuter travel, bad traffic is unavoidable.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:42 AM

734 posts, read 464,213 times
Looks like the inner loop shills are out in full force here. They have to keep up the embellishments to keep telling themselves (and others) that the money they waste isn’t actually wasted. Must be that polluted air you can clearly see hanging over the inner loop when you fly in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or