U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,782,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
But you can build such a home in the inner / middle suburbs with a shorter commute, since the lots are equally or more spacious than those in the outer suburbs. Why do the extra commute?

Please show me that which you speak of? I'm drawing a blank on inner/middle suburbs

If you're talking about Lazybrook, etc. That's nice/ghetto is right down the street. I'll pass. Inside the beltway is too many "nice" areas with trashy areas within proximity. This is my main problem with Westbury. The outer suburbs may have tons of apartments but it's not overun with the low rent, built in the 70s and before <$800 places like inside the Loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 02:30 PM

4,270 posts, read 7,885,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
If you're talking about Lazybrook, etc. That's nice/ghetto is right down the street. I'll pass. Inside the beltway is too many "nice" areas with trashy areas within proximity. This is my main problem with Westbury. The outer suburbs may have tons of apartments but it's not overun with the low rent, built in the 70s and before <$800 places like inside the Loop.
Increasingly there are more low rent/trashy places outside of Beltway 8 but inside of Highway 6/1960. Look at Spring ISD.

I wonder if people are willing to buy up and demolish more low rent apartments in the areas between BW8 and 610 in west Houston?

Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 AM

262 posts, read 332,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I like space, too. Right now I live an 1800 square foot ranch house, and it's ok but I'd like another room--an office--so I don't have to do my evening work sitting at the kitchen table or on the couch. But there is a case to be made that we need to reconcile our desire for larger spaces with what is sustainable for the whole of the society. I think we saw some of the effects of this with the flooding from the Harvey rains. I'm not saying that it was all the fault of poor suburban planning, but that definitely factored in, from everything I read. 3500 square foot homes should, even in the suburbs, come at a premium and should not be available for very many people, imho, because the more of them we make, the more unsustainable we become. I realize it's an argument between the absolute value of "what I want" vs "the society's needs," but I think it's an important thing to consider. My hope is that living in smaller spaces becomes more desirable as we move into the future so that we can reduce the use of space overall.
Assuming her 3500 sq ft home is a two story, her home has a smaller footprint than your 1800 sq ft ranch. Maybe ranches should come at a premium because they are not better for the whole of society.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:49 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times
The funny part is that all these places (except River Oaks) flooded during Harvey. Memorial is only attractive because of the trees in the incorporated villages--like The Woodlands near/in the city. Meyerland is dead center in a natural flood control reservoir, but the pool extends to neighboring Bellaire and Westbury.

The only things that saved River Oaks from widespread flooding, like the other places, are the large urban parks along Buffalo Bayou that soaked up water like a sponge.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:00 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,782,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Increasingly there are more low rent/trashy places outside of Beltway 8 but inside of Highway 6/1960. Look at Spring ISD.

I wonder if people are willing to buy up and demolish more low rent apartments in the areas between BW8 and 610 in west Houston?

And look at the home prices in Spring ISD. I can't remember if Benders Landing is in Spring ISD but it's the outlayer. I have friends who live in Northgate Crossing and they are putting their house on the market and moving to The Woodlands because they said it's going downhill.

The houses in Spring ISD aren't the $500k prices in the Loop. Nice areas have gone down. Ponderosa, Westador, not so good because of the schools and that's a Katrina mecca. I know... Cypress Station and all down Ella Blvd south is bad news. But again, no one is paying an arm and leg for those home prices.

It's an apples to oranges comparison.

One of my friends lives in a nice complex off Almeda yet 3rd Ward is down the street. Pass! Though I love her place, for the price and the amount of homeless and that proximity it's not worth it, IMO. For me at least.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:56 PM

12,376 posts, read 6,869,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Hmm, we live inside the loop on a lot that's 11,000 sq ft... Moving to the burbs would be a step down.
Was that a typo or are you really trying to say that you live on a large lot? That's a little over 100' x 100', once you drop a ~2.5K sq foot home on that you've got just enough grass left for an overpriced boutique puppy to **** on and a driveway.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:04 PM

938 posts, read 2,108,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Was that a typo or are you really trying to say that you live on a large lot? That's a little over 100' x 100', once you drop a ~2.5K sq foot home on that you've got just enough grass left for an overpriced boutique puppy to **** on and a driveway.
A 11k lot would have a lot of back yard space even with a 2500 sq foot home.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
A 11k lot would have a lot of back yard space even with a 2500 sq foot home.
I guess some people might agree but it's laughable to me, sorry.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:59 PM

938 posts, read 2,108,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I guess some people might agree but it's laughable to me, sorry.
To each his own. I for one do not want an acre lot

Old 07-07-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
To each his own. I for one do not want an acre lot
You're right, privacy and space are horrible things to put up with and raw land around Houston is a terrible investment lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or