U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 08:50 AM

472 posts, read 134,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
City limits vs metro.
Ok, lets test that theory.

Fort Worth, like Dallas also scored 100 on HRC. Plano has an equal rights ordinance and a score of 74 (identical to the one Houston has).

Not Houston nor any suburb of Houston has any of that.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06...inances-texas/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
That's a bunch of crap. I really cringe when someone says Houston is like Dallas and vice versa.

That just tells me you don't walk around the inner loop. Yesterday I drove to Herman park. Parked my car at the zoo parking lot walked around. Took the rail to downtown. Walked on main street. Walked the underground tunnel. Took the rail to the med center.
And thats so different from Dallas how? I can easily do a very similar itinerary in Dallas.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:56 AM

2,459 posts, read 1,045,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ok, lets test that theory.

Fort Worth, like Dallas also scored 100 on HRC. Plano has an equal rights ordinance and a score of 74 (identical to the one Houston has).

Not Houston nor any suburb of Houston has any of that.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06...inances-texas/
Actually, the point would still stand, as per ideological separation. The liberals and conservatives engage in trading spaces.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:58 AM

121 posts, read 40,658 times
Quote:
And thats so different from Dallas how? I can easily do a very similar itinerary in Dallas.
Dude, I'm not saying Dallas doesn't have that.

I'm saying the feel of the 2 cities is totally diff.

The vibe.

You won't mistake Dallas with Houston when you're on ground level. Like I said the scenery is night and day.

Just like you wouldn't mistake San Fran with LA.

Saying both are similar is asinine

Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM

763 posts, read 357,640 times
Quote:
That's a bunch of crap. I really cringe when someone says Houston is like Dallas and vice versa.

That just tells me you don't walk around the inner loop. Yesterday I drove to Herman park. Parked my car at the zoo parking lot walked around. Took the rail to downtown. Walked on main street. Walked the underground tunnel. Took the rail to the med center.

I
After doing that you can't compare Dallas and Houston.

The scenery is DIFFERENT. Mostly because of the trees and countless skyscrapers outside of downtown Houston.

It's laughable really.

Saying they are the same is just plain lazy. Get out an meet or watch the people. It's light years diff
This to me is the biggest difference between the two - the greenery in Houston and the skyscrapers all over the metro, which is pretty unique for most American cities. In DFW, most tall buildings are in Downtown Dallas and Downtown Ft. Worth - everything else is pretty mid-rise oriented and suburban.

I think Houston has a better natural setting, while DFW has a bit better architecture - that's what primarily brings attractiveness to its built environment.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Actually, the point would still stand, as per ideological separation. The liberals and conservatives engage in trading spaces.
Ive lived in both for years now and Ill say it a million times: Dallas (and yes even DFW) is more accommodating to the LGBT community and Houston is more accommodating to racial and ethnic minorities. The data backs me up on it and Im sticking to it.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 AM

2,459 posts, read 1,045,043 times
Quote:
Ive lived in both for years now and Ill say it a million times: Dallas (and yes even DFW) is more accommodating to the LGBT community and Houston is more accommodating to racial and ethnic minorities. The data backs me up on it and Im sticking to it.
No one is disagreeing with the data. But just know that there are lots of off paper realities and contexts that the data just can't cover.

Welcome back, by the way.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:08 AM

121 posts, read 40,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
This to me is the biggest difference between the two - the greenery in Houston and the skyscrapers all over the metro, which is pretty unique for most American cities. In DFW, most tall buildings are in Downtown Dallas and Downtown Ft. Worth - everything else is pretty mid-rise oriented and suburban.

I think Houston has a better natural setting, while DFW has a bit better architecture - that's what primarily brings attractiveness to its built environment.
It's crazy that San Fran and LA go thru similar "issues"

When I was in LA you'd always have a Northerner from San Fran complain how LA is ugly. With no real downtown. And how it's dirty. Spread out.

I found that here in tx too. Lol

To an outsider LA AND SAN FRAN are similar. But to the people who live there every day will tell you HOW wrong that notion is.

That's why I scoff at people saying Houston's similar to dallas. From the outside yes. But as soon as you go out into diff neighborhoods in both.. you'll soon see how they are more diff then not.

I've lived here long enough to see.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It's crazy that San Fran and LA go thru similar "issues"

When I was in LA you'd always have a Northerner from San Fran complain how LA is ugly. With no real downtown. And how it's dirty. Spread out.

I found that here in tx too. Lol

To an outsider LA AND SAN FRAN are similar. But to the people who live there every day will tell you HOW wrong that notion is.

That's why I scoff at people saying Houston's similar to dallas. From the outside yes. But as soon as you go out into diff neighborhoods in both.. you'll soon see how they are more diff then not.

I've lived here long enough to see.
Hold on a sec...Houston and Dallas are wayyyy more similar than LA and San Francisco. Ill grant you that Houston and Dallas have different scenery but I lived in Dallas for 8 years and Ive been in Houston for 4 and they feel much more alike than they do different outside the scenery itself.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
No one is disagreeing with the data. But just know that there are lots of off paper realities and contexts that the data just can't cover.

Welcome back, by the way.
Thanks. My old account was tied to an email address that isnt active anymore and I forgot my password. Since its free and I wasnt all that tied to any identity my old screen name had, I just signed up a new account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or