U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-29-2018, 10:21 AM
 
Location: U.S.
142 posts, read 41,297 times
Reputation: 203

Advertisements

I would agree that Houston is overall more scenic than Dallas, but the prettiest parts of the metro are well north of town in the vicinities of The Woodlands and Lake Houston. Most of the central city is unfortunately lacking in trees, however, and so paved over that the backdrop in many neighborhoods doesn't seem to be a far cry from Dallas at all. In fact, the DFW area has sections that feel just as leafy as the typical Houston hood, IMO. North Texas also has more colorful autumns.

Houston is lush for Texas, definitely, but compared to Atlanta it can feel underwhelmingly barren at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Houston/Los Angeles
121 posts, read 41,151 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Hold on a sec...Houston and Dallas are wayyyy more similar than LA and San Francisco. Ill grant you that Houston and Dallas have different scenery but I lived in Dallas for 8 years and Ive been in Houston for 4 and they feel much more alike than they do different outside the scenery itself.
Exactly. Because they are tx cities. For someone who was born in either city LA or San Fran (me) going from one to the other you don't feel the difference. But that didn't mean the people and VIBE are the same.

When you go to Cali as an outsider, you expect to Cali to be a certain way. Just Like outsiders who come to tx expect Dallas and Houston to be the same. But the VIBE isnt.

Houston and Dallas are similar bc, well they are Texan cities.

My point is that the vibe and people aren't . Just Like San Fran and LA.

Please tell me how Houston and Dallas feel similar to you. Maybe you don't explore the city.

I do. I don't have a nine to five. I work from my laptop as a freelance writer. I have time to roam about and explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
508 posts, read 141,704 times
Reputation: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Exactly. Because they are tx cities. For someone who was born in either city LA or San Fran (me) going from one to the other you don't feel the difference. But that didn't mean the people and VIBE are the same.

When you go to Cali as an outsider, you expect to Cali to be a certain way. Just Like outsiders who come to tx expect Dallas and Houston to be the same. But the VIBE isnt.

Houston and Dallas are similar bc, well they are Texan cities.

My point is that the vibe and people aren't . Just Like San Fran and LA.

Please tell me how Houston and Dallas feel similar to you. Maybe you don't explore the city.

I do. I don't have a nine to five. I work from my laptop as a freelance writer. I have time to roam about and explore.
Time out. Youre not going to be able to lecture me on this topic. I have explored both cities extensively and yes I find them similar but not exactly the same. Here is how:

Both cities are overall suburban with urban pockets. Even in the inner loop of Houston and inside Loop 12 in Dallas, the most common form of housing is single/double story houses with front and back yard. You are seeing more dense infill in both cities (more so in Houston just because the suburbs tend to siphon from Dallas more), but they are still suburban in character.

The people in both cities have delusions of grandeur in regards to how good their city is. That is probably part of the Texan mentality overall.

Both cities are more economically tied to each other than they are to any other cities.

The cities have many neighborhoods that are interchangeable: Highland Park/River Oaks, Bishop Arts/EaDO, Uptown Dallas/Midtown Houston, Galleria Areas of both, Pleasant Grove/Sunnyside, etc. I dont think Houston really has an answer for Cedar Springs (its not Montrose) and Dallas definitely doesnt have an answer for Memorial Park or the Museum District. With LA and San Francisco, there are almost no neighborhoods that are similar in this regard. San Francisco is so dense and LA is sprawled out.

I grew up in Los Angeles. No one in their right mind would say that San Francisco and LA feel anything alike. If you want to compare San Jose and LA, thats much more doable. But the feel of Houston and Dallas is far more similar than LA and SF. Im not saying that Houston and Dallas are copies of each other because they clearly are not, but thats just a false equivalence to compare them to their California counterparts. Dallas is definitely more similar to Houston than it is to Fort Worth and they are neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 AM
 
257 posts, read 93,905 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
That's because the situations regarding the ordinances weren't identical.



Small city limits vs large annexes.

Correct on both counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM
 
257 posts, read 93,905 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
That's a bunch of crap. I really cringe when someone says Houston is like Dallas and vice versa.

That just tells me you don't walk around the inner loop. Yesterday I drove to Herman park. Parked my car at the zoo parking lot walked around. Took the rail to downtown. Walked on main street. Walked the underground tunnel. Took the rail to the med center.

I
After doing that you can't compare Dallas and Houston.

The scenery is DIFFERENT. Mostly because of the trees and countless skyscrapers outside of downtown Houston.

It's laughable really.

Saying they are the same is just plain lazy. Get out an meet or watch the people. It's light years diff

Calling my post "a bunch of crap" and calling me "lazy" doesn't help your argument, it just exposes you as an immature, irrational troll.


I actually do walk, and bike around inside the loop quite a lot, so that shows how faulty your mechanism for telling you how much other people walk is. And I am a very social, very active person with friends all over the city, from Montrose to the Heights to West Memorial to Clear Lake to Spring. I'm also politically active and canvass various neighborhoods, so don't tell me I need to get out and meet or watch people, I likely meet many more Houstonians in an average year than you do.



Telling me where you went yesterday and how you got there isn't actually an argument for not being able to compare Houston and Dallas. Trees and skyscapers outside of Houston? Yeah, they have edge cities with skyscapers in the Dallas area, too. And they plant trees in the Dallas area too. T


Telling me the two cities are "light years diff" is also not an argument, it's a completely unsupported statement of opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Houston/Los Angeles
121 posts, read 41,151 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Time out. Youre not going to be able to lecture me on this topic. I have explored both cities extensively and yes I find them similar but not exactly the same. Here is how:

Both cities are overall suburban with urban pockets. Even in the inner loop of Houston and inside Loop 12 in Dallas, the most common form of housing is single/double story houses with front and back yard. You are seeing more dense infill in both cities (more so in Houston just because the suburbs tend to siphon from Dallas more), but they are still suburban in character.

The people in both cities have delusions of grandeur in regards to how good their city is. That is probably part of the Texan mentality overall.

Both cities are more economically tied to each other than they are to any other cities.

The cities have many neighborhoods that are interchangeable: Highland Park/River Oaks, Bishop Arts/EaDO, Uptown Dallas/Midtown Houston, Galleria Areas of both, Pleasant Grove/Sunnyside, etc. I dont think Houston really has an answer for Cedar Springs (its not Montrose) and Dallas definitely doesnt have an answer for Memorial Park or the Museum District. With LA and San Francisco, there are almost no neighborhoods that are similar in this regard. San Francisco is so dense and LA is sprawled out.

I grew up in Los Angeles. No one in their right mind would say that San Francisco and LA feel anything alike. If you want to compare San Jose and LA, thats much more doable. But the feel of Houston and Dallas is far more similar than LA and SF. Im not saying that Houston and Dallas are copies of each other because they clearly are not, but thats just a false equivalence to compare them to their California counterparts. Dallas is definitely more similar to Houston than it is to Fort Worth and they are neighbors.
No one? Really? Obviously we talk to diff people. The
delusions exist in both states.

There IS a rivalry between LA and San Fran. Make no mistake about it. Not as prevalent as Houston and Dallas but it's there. I KNOW. And YES they do look at each other as rivals and want to be the TOP DOG IN CALI.

Angelonos are proud of their city. They will defend it.

Stop comparing neighborhoods of Dallas and Houston. Dallas doesn't have the equivalent of "inside the loop".

Like it's been said. Dallas is A suburban town. You can't look at one or the other and mistake them. Just like in cali.

All I said is that like in tx Cali has a city rivalry too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Foster, TX
976 posts, read 1,219,278 times
Reputation: 1064
Hey, look at this. A Dallas v Houston comparison thread. This has never been done before and definitely will not lead to bickering and in-fighting between users on the Houston forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Houston/Los Angeles
121 posts, read 41,151 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Calling my post "a bunch of crap" and calling me "lazy" doesn't help your argument, it just exposes you as an immature, irrational troll.


I actually do walk, and bike around inside the loop quite a lot, so that shows how faulty your mechanism for telling you how much other people walk is. And I am a very social, very active person with friends all over the city, from Montrose to the Heights to West Memorial to Clear Lake to Spring. I'm also politically active and canvass various neighborhoods, so don't tell me I need to get out and meet or watch people, I likely meet many more Houstonians in an average year than you do.



Telling me where you went yesterday and how you got there isn't actually an argument for not being able to compare Houston and Dallas. Trees and skyscapers outside of Houston? Yeah, they have edge cities with skyscapers in the Dallas area, too. And they plant trees in the Dallas area too. T


Telling me the two cities are "light years diff" is also not an argument, it's a completely unsupported statement of opinion.
I won't even bother reading this. You call me a troll? This is an open forum. My opinion is my opinion. I never called u lazy i dont know u. I simply stated my opinion. Stop being sensative I said its the easy way out. But ill stop. I don't want this go off topic more then it already has.

Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
508 posts, read 141,704 times
Reputation: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
No one? Really? Obviously we talk to diff people. The
delusions exist in both states.

There IS a rivalry between LA and San Fran. Make no mistake about it. Not as prevalent as Houston and Dallas but it's there. I KNOW. And YES they do look at each other as rivals and want to be the TOP DOG IN CALI.

Angelonos are proud of their city. They will defend it.

Stop comparing neighborhoods of Dallas and Houston. Dallas doesn't have the equivalent of "inside the loop".

Like it's been said. Dallas is A suburban town. You can't look at one or the other and mistake them. Just like in cali.

All I said is that like in tx Cali has a city rivalry too.
Nobody said there wasnt a rivalry between LA and SF. But the cities are not as similar as between Dallas and Houston.

Who are you kidding that there isnt an equivalent between the Loop in Dallas? Its called Loop 12. Just like inside 610, the majority of the neighborhoods are suburban but there are bunch of urban pockets.

Houston and Dallas are both overall suburban. That is simply a fact.

Reading this, you dont appear to know much about Dallas. At the very least you dont seem to have spent much time there.

Either that, or this is that whole "delusions of grandeur" I was talking about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 AM
 
257 posts, read 93,905 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You may laugh at that claim, but I have to laugh at the gross inaccuracies in comparing the gay communities in your post.

Montrose, the largest gay community outside San Francisco??? Not even close. Per capita, Dallas has the largest gay community in Texas even ahead of Austin. Dallas and Houston's gay population are about the same despite Houston being twice the size of Dallas. Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs blow anything in Montrose out of the water IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_d..._United_States

As for gay mayors, no Dallas has not had one. However Dallas county (not just the city) re-elected Lupe Valdez 4 times and she is gay. It wasnt just the city, but the whole county that did that.

Remeber HERO that Houston voters shot down? Dallas approved it with no counter suit by religious whack jobs in the city.

You may not think gay affirming churches are a good way to measure but HRC score sure is. Dallas has a perfect 100 score. Houston is at 74.

https://www.hrc.org/resources/mei-20...ur-citys-score

Sorry, but youre dead wrong on this one.

I do agree with you on restaurants and diversity. Houston is definitely a better food city.

I was talking about gay villages, not whole cities, and maybe my information is outdated, but I do remember at one point the Montrose was ranked as the second largest gay village outside the Castro. Come to think of it, it probably is outdated, all the yuppies in townhomes have elbowed out a lot of the longstanding gay population of the Montrose, which is why many of them have gone to Meyerland.


On the HERO ordinance, Texyn is right, Dallas and Houston's ordinances were not identical. What's more, HERO was overturned for no other reason than bad timing, it got caught up in the national hot-button issue du jour of transgender people's right to use the bathroom conforming to their gender identity, and Houston was flooded by a bunch of out-of-town anti-LGBTQ campaigners spreading a moral panic to get a high profile win in their national unholy crusade. I don't think it's really fair to judge a city's overall community environment of tolerance and welcome based on this one incident, though I know HRC and other organizations do, especially because it is recent and got so much national coverage (by the anti-LGBTQ campaigners' design). Dallas' ordinance was approved in 2002 without the transgender bathroom issue. And now that it's been amended to include it, there is a movement to overturn at least that part of it, led by people like Rep Don Huffines and supported by Dan Patrick, so unfortunately Dallas may yet see a fight over it.



I still think a difference of five "gay-affirming" churches (and would love to see the methodology for identifying them as such) by itself is not a significant indicator of the overall climate of acceptance for LGBTQ people in the community at large. I know Dallas has a large and vibrant gay community and wasn't dissing that, as I said in general, Houston and Dallas are pretty similar cities, and I think they are in this regard as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top