U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 10:57 AM

465 posts, read 133,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post

I still think a difference of five "gay-affirming" churches (and would love to see the methodology for identifying them as such) by itself is not a significant indicator of the overall climate of acceptance for LGBTQ people in the community at large. I know Dallas has a large and vibrant gay community and wasn't dissing that, as I said in general, Houston and Dallas are pretty similar cities, and I think they are in this regard as well.
You may be correct on that front that gay affirming churches arent the best methodology (I brought it up because a poster eluded to the idea that number of churches implied lack of LGBT acceptance) however, HRC score is a good indicator.

I do agree with you that the cities are more similar than they are different. I would, however, stick by my assertion that Dallas is more accommodating to the LGBT community and Houston is more accommodating to ethnic and racial minorities.

You did mention Meyerland which is my neighborhood. I do know a few gay couples in the area though I wasnt aware this was a big draw for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:10 AM

257 posts, read 93,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
I won't even bother reading this. You call me a troll? This is an open forum. My opinion is my opinion. I never called u lazy i dont know u. I simply stated my opinion. Stop being sensative I said its the easy way out. But ill stop. I don't want this go off topic more then it already has.

Have a nice day.

Quote:
I won't even bother reading this.

Another uncivil, antagonistic comment.

Quote:
You call me a troll? This is an open forum. My opinion is my opinion.

What? That doesn't even address you being a troll. There are trolls on open forums, in fact, most trolls are found on open forums rather than ones where the membership has to be approved. And trolls give their opinions all the time, giving your opinion does not contradict your being a troll. Trolls aren't defined by the lack of an opinion, they're defined by the unprovoked slinging of insults.

Quote:
I never called u lazy i dont know u[...] I said its the easy way out.

You said:

Quote:

Saying they are the same is just plain lazy. Get out an meet or watch the people.

So after having already made a blind assumption about me (that I don't walk around inside the Loop), you said that what I said is "just plain lazy", and then ordered me to do something to correct that. So don't lie.

Quote:
I don't want this go off topic more then it already has.

If that's true, then a simple apology for your rudeness would suffice.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 AM

2,459 posts, read 1,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Most of the central city is unfortunately lacking in trees, however, and so paved over that the backdrop in many neighborhoods doesn't seem to be a far cry from Dallas at all. In fact, the DFW area has sections that feel just as leafy as the typical Houston hood, IMO. North Texas also has more colorful autumns.
Plenty of trees to go around in Central Houston. Memorial Park, Museum District, Montrose. Even Wayside and Eastwood.

Regardless, no matter where you are in Houston, you're still in a region with a wetter climate than Dallas, which gives way to more robust and verdant vegetation growth. Even an open field in Sugar Land is more lush than the leafiest neighborhood Dallas has to offer. Dallas may have more color in the autumns, but that comes with the price of more dead-looking leaflessness during the winters...

Quote:
Houston is lush for Texas, definitely, but compared to Atlanta it can feel underwhelmingly barren at times.
Yes, the barrenness is indeed underwhelming. Not really a surprise actually, as Houston's growing climate is superior to Atlanta's: warmer winters and higher annual rainfall. The greater amount of mature tree coverage in Atlanta is just a matter of the soil type.

Last edited by Texyn; 06-29-2018 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 11:21 AM

257 posts, read 93,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Hey, look at this. A Dallas v Houston comparison thread. This has never been done before and definitely will not lead to bickering and in-fighting between users on the Houston forum.

It's kind of a refreshing twist though, in that instead of the usual partisans for one or the other being better, this time we have a lot of people agreeing they are more similar than not, but one person "cringing" while they stubbornly insist "NO! They are SO DIFFERENT!" Without providing a shred of specifics to back up their assertions. It's funny.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 AM

975 posts, read 1,214,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
It's kind of a refreshing twist though, in that instead of the usual partisans for one or the other being better, this time we have a lot of people agreeing they are more similar than not, but one person "cringing" while they stubbornly insist "NO! They are SO DIFFERENT!" Without providing a shred of specifics to back up their assertions. It's funny.

Still, the OP was trying to make a decision between the two cities based on tornadoes v hurricanes (no mention as to where OP would be working, budget, preference of urban v suburb v exurb environment, quality of schools as a factor, etc, which colors me dubious as to the sincerity of the OP's commitment to moving to either city.) OP may have been better served using the search function.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:43 AM

393 posts, read 248,203 times
Quote:
Hey, look at this. A Dallas v Houston comparison thread. This has never been done before and definitely will not lead to bickering and in-fighting between users on the Houston forum.
LOL, I wanted to write the same;-)

Way out off topic, boys.;-)

Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM

142 posts, read 39,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Dallas may have more color in the autumns, but that comes with the price of more dead-looking leaflessness during the winters...
Which isn't a problem if you appreciate a distinct, four season climate and landscape. I like the gray of North Texas winters.

Quote:
The greater amount of mature tree coverage in Atlanta is just a matter of the soil type.
From my observation it has as much to do with the difference in the way the two cities developed. Atlantans won't chop a tree down unless they absolutely have to, but cities like Houston and Dallas will raze an entire group of mature trees and replace this with a handful of stubby oaks. Often times nothing is planted at all...the lack of feeders in Georgia means that all you see from any freeway is forested land; even in the middle of its largest metro.

In other words, neither Houston or Dallas are as green as they could be.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 11 days ago)

4,649 posts, read 4,486,527 times
Quote:
Still, the OP was trying to make a decision between the two cities based on tornadoes v hurricanes (no mention as to where OP would be working, budget, preference of urban v suburb v exurb environment, quality of schools as a factor, etc, which colors me dubious as to the sincerity of the OP's commitment to moving to either city.) OP may have been better served using the search function.

The OP tried to get this going on the Dallas forum back in May and only got 24 replies. Dallas didn't bite, so score one for Dallas....

1st visit to explore Dallas

Old 06-29-2018, 12:24 PM

975 posts, read 1,214,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The OP tried to get this going on the Dallas forum back in May and only got 24 replies. Dallas didn't bite, so score one for Dallas....

1st visit to explore Dallas

My next question was to ask if this thread was posted in the Dallas/Texas forums.

OP, mazel tov on the fire you've lit.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:26 PM

413 posts, read 243,031 times
Quote:
Great point ..2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or