Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times

Advertisements

Crime is about the same City vs. City, but when you factor the surrounding areas.. DFW wins out due to the fact they have efficient LEO agencies in the pocket cities. Houston PD and the county sheriff (Unincorporated areas) are understaffed. Easy to do crime when you know the response time and coverage is **** poor.

That's why crime is more spread out down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 05:22 PM

390 posts, read 389,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Anyway, to get this back on topic I would tell the OP this:

If youre looking to live in the city and have more of an urban lifestyle, Houston has more things to do in a smaller radius in the city center. I prefer living down here because I live in the city only a few miles from downtown.

If youre looking to live in the suburbs, Id go to Dallas. There are many more good suburbs to choose from up there. The suburbs up there also seem to have more things to do.
Not to stir anything up but dallas offers a better urban lifestyle than Houston. Dallas actually have walkable neighborhoods and decent public transit.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I said simi-anchor which is a homemade term that I thought would be easy to understand. Suburbs don't normally have downtowns either but you say Plano has one, as does Galveston...
There’s no way you can actually think Galveston to Plano is anywhere a remotely acceptable comparison. You’re talking about a city that’s the oldest in this area and was never a bedroom community compared to a place that was a tiny spot 50 years ago and started as a bedroom community from a small town. Galveston is 50 miles from Houston. Plano is 15 from Dallas.

Sorry but not sorry. Just because it’s in the same metro area doesn’t make it a suburb.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:29 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Give me a break, everyone knows you're the biggest Houston cheerleader on the site. You even had the audacity to come on the site and put a spin the Harvey flooding lol.
Where exactly in that thread was there a spin on Harvey's flooding? Something has got your panties in a twist, cause you're quite irrational right now.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Whereas people who see more similarities than differences have usually:

1) Lived in both.
2) Are not from Texas.
Actually, that's kind of the entire point. Those not from Texas don't know much about the state besides what they hear on CNN. They can't be expected to be familiar with any of the nuances. It's basically a Charleston vs Savannah type of deal.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Actually, that's kind of the entire point. Those not from Texas don't know much about the state besides what they hear on CNN. They can't be expected to be familiar with any of the nuances. It's basically a Charleston vs Savannah type of deal.
No I meant both points together not just one. People who haven’t lived in both don’t have as valid of opinions.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
No I meant both points together not just one. People who haven’t lived in both don’t have as valid of opinions.
In that case, it would depend on what those people did as they were living in both. Hope they weren't couch potatoes.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
I've spent alota time in west Houston Katy, cypress.. and ibe always joked its like little dallas. The neighborhoods are newer and lack trees. The yards all look alike.

I think that's what give a Houston the edge over Dallas. The neighborhoods here are lined with huge mature trees. It gives it character.

I don't get how no zoning is a bad thing. It makes life easier. You don't really have to go far. I live in spring branch (the branch as we call it) and I have everything within walking distance. I MEAN EVRYTHING LOL. Car shop next yo a Walgreens next to a nail salon next to a barber next to Shipley donuts(mmm) and next to a tire shop.

It's so convienent.
There are so many neighborhoods in dallas that have trees. The lack of knowledge on this forum is killing me. Ever been to Kessler heights ? Lakewood? M streets? Hollywood santa Monica? Lake highlands?

Old 06-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
In that case, it would depend on what those people did as they were living in both. Hope they weren't couch potatoes.
If a person is a couch potato in Dallas they probably wold be in Houston too and vice versa.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
This to me is the biggest difference between the two - the greenery in Houston and the skyscrapers all over the metro, which is pretty unique for most American cities. In DFW, most tall buildings are in Downtown Dallas and Downtown Ft. Worth - everything else is pretty mid-rise oriented and suburban.

I think Houston has a better natural setting, while DFW has a bit better architecture - that's what primarily brings attractiveness to its built environment.
Wrong again. DFW has multiple locations with skyscrapers all over it's not just downtown. You have DT dallas, uptown, stemmons corridor ,central expressway corridor, Galleria area/addison, Plano legacy area, las colinas, DT fort worth. I think that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston