U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,135,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Houston is at a disadvantage due to all of the unincorporated land around the city, even if you go look into the few cities like Pearland, Sugarland, Katy, etc... You're still not going to duplicate what you're getting in the DFW pocket cities. DFW Pocket cites have better infrastructure, City Building codes, city service, overall schools, etc..all done with a lower tax rates (no MUD).

Even with all of the action going on with the Pocket cites around DFW, Dallas is still relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Bottom line is you're not going to find a Plano, Frisco, or South Lake, (I could go on and on) in the Houston area. Sugarland, Woodland, and Katy are nice to Houston's standards, but not up there.
I agree with you, DFW Suburbs have better infrastructure, city building codes, city services and the whole nine. But Aside from maybe Arlington there pretty much the same. They offer they own little charm but it's generally still the same type of amenities and social scenes. South Lake and Frisco have beautiful homes but it get's pretty boring and cookie cutter. And as Cookie Cutter and Vanilla Dry as The Woodlands is, I'd still take The Woodlands over any suburb in DFW excluding maybe Arlington. The Waterway and the Pavilion to much offers more than any of those burbs in DFW.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 PM

54 posts, read 19,101 times
It's interesting. San Francisco and LA are rivals but the cities are completely different - and either city could make arguments for its supremacy. It's a close call.

With Houston and Dallas the argument should not even be close but it is, in my opinion, for two reasons:

1. The Dallas Cowboys winning 5 superbowls. The Cowboys single-handedly improved the city of Dallas' image after the Kennedy assassination. They also gave Dallas much craved-for name recognition. What else do you think of when you think of Dallas?

2. Houston has never had the marketing machine the city of Dallas has, nor has Houston ever tried very hard to toot it's own horn. This goes back 100s of years. Can you imagine how Dallas would market itself if it had the Port of Houston, NASA, The Texas Medical Center, the Houston Museum District, and was the energy capital of the WORLD?

I was amused but not surprised when I learned that the Texas independence Centennial celebration was held in Dallas! Incredible, right? How could this happen when no battles for Texas independence were fought anywhere near Dallas?? Why not Houston where blood was spilt with the battle of San Jacinto fought right in our own backyard? Or at least San Antonio with the history of the Alamo? No, once again Dallas' marketing machine took control.

For those of us who were born here we KNOW that Houston and Dallas are nothing alike. It's probably hard to understand as an outsider.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I have been analyzing the news in both cities on the News Break App and Dallas news is calmer than Houston and Atlanta. Houston news is nutty like Atlanta.
I lived in Atlanta and move back to Houston. The news will have some "nutty" news every day. But unless you go looking for crime, than crime won't normally find you. I lived in Atlanta for 2 years in the Perimeter Area and never experienced crime. I lived in Houston from 09-15 and did experience one break in but I was in an area that had a crime rate above national average. I moved back in '17 and know better not to be in high crime areas.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
It's interesting. San Francisco and LA are rivals but the cities are completely different - and either city could make arguments for its supremacy. It's a close call.

With Houston and Dallas the argument should not even be close but it is, in my opinion, for two reasons:

1. The Dallas Cowboys winning 5 superbowls. The Cowboys single-handedly improved the city of Dallas' image after the Kennedy assassination. They also gave Dallas much craved-for name recognition. What else do you think of when you think of Dallas?

2. Houston has never had the marketing machine the city of Dallas has, nor has Houston ever tried very hard to toot it's own horn. This goes back 100s of years. Can you imagine how Dallas would market itself if it had the Port of Houston, NASA, The Texas Medical Center, the Houston Museum District, and was the energy capital of the WORLD?

I was amused but not surprised when I learned that the Texas independence Centennial celebration was held in Dallas! Incredible, right? How could this happen when no battles for Texas independence were fought anywhere near Dallas?? Why not Houston where blood was spilt with the battle of San Jacinto fought right in our own backyard? Or at least San Antonio with the history of the Alamo? No, once again Dallas' marketing machine took control.

For those of us who were born here we KNOW that Houston and Dallas are nothing alike. It's probably hard to understand as an outsider.
That Dallas marketing machine must not be that good. I never ever in 33 years of living in Texas, an hour and 30 minutes away from Dallas for 20 years never heard of an Texas Independence Centennial Celebration. First time for me.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:16 PM

13,022 posts, read 5,412,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post
Or the frequency of them either. I can MAYBE count on one hand the number of times I've heard a tornado siren in over a decade in Houston...you'd get that many in one or two years in Dallas.
Iíve never heard a tornado siren here, and Iíve lived here over 40 years. Had a couple rip through my neighborhood when I was a freshman in high school, but I slept through it and it damaged a couple of roofs and thatís it. That was the same year we got Hurricane Alicia, but these werenít at the same time. Hurricanes do spawn tornadoes, but theyíre still not as bad as tornado alley. Hurricanes are enough, thank you very much. But thankfully theyíre very infrequent.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 PM

54 posts, read 19,101 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texa...ial_Exposition

Old 06-29-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:

It had to be something other than Texas Independence. They had the Sesquicentennial celebration when I was in high school in ‘86 (and celebrated throughout the state). That was the 150th anniversary of Texas Independence. The centennial celebration in Dallas must have been for the city of Dallas, not the state.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didnít realize you were talking about 1936. I wasnít around then, but I expect they celebrated that all over too. But back then Houston was a much smaller town than it is now. I donít think it really grew much until air conditioning.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I agree with you, DFW Suburbs have better infrastructure, city building codes, city services and the whole nine. But Aside from maybe Arlington there pretty much the same. They offer they own little charm but it's generally still the same type of amenities and social scenes. South Lake and Frisco have beautiful homes but it get's pretty boring and cookie cutter. And as Cookie Cutter and Vanilla Dry as The Woodlands is, I'd still take The Woodlands over any suburb in DFW excluding maybe Arlington. The Waterway and the Pavilion to much offers more than any of those burbs in DFW.
I know someone in Argyle up by Denton, and it’s really cool there. If I had the money, I’d live there. Lots of horse farms and trees. I haven’t found anything like that here. Other than that one place, I agree with you.

We have our cookie cutter areas too. But I find our lack of zoning makes things interesting. The neighborhood I lived in as a teenager in the Spring Branch area off Hammerly and Campbell was very strange and something you would never find anywhere near Dallas.

We lived in a townhouse on a lot with about eight of them, and the next lot over had a house that took up two lots (one on our street and going back to the lot on the other street if that makes any sense). It had a fence around it with no trespassing signs and animals (they had goats and chickens and a damn rooster that would crow in the mornings). And going down the street you would have big houses next to small houses, though not too many big homes. But they all had big lots.

Down the street there was a lake that we called the sand pit because it was a sand pit that hit an underground spring and filled up so fast it became a huge lake with heavy equipment like earth movers and even a crane under the water. Police helicopters flew over the neighborhood frequently, and every once in a while they’d have a drowning in the lake and dredge it, and they’d pull out cars and appliances and all kinds of weird stuff. I always thought the two-lot neighbors next door must have been running a chop shop or something illegal back there, but I never found out what it was.

It was actually pretty cool growing up in that neighborhood, but it’s looking different now. I drove through there recently and it looks like they’re trying to gentrify it by knocking down the old houses and building huge houses on the lots. And they fenced off the sand pit and built townhomes around it so only they get to enjoy the lake. They probably don’t even know it was a sand pit. I was kind of sad about the changes.

Last edited by katygirl68; 06-30-2018 at 12:11 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Dallas is A bit bland.

It's like vanilla ice cream. It's good at first but then it gets old.

It has a boring prerie landscape.

Hardly any trees. You say you're from ATL so that's gonna be a shock.

Houston is full of trees. You got uptown midtown with big trees. midtown neighborhoods are freaking awesome. Lined up with intresting looking trees.

Houston is rich in culture. Something Dallas lacks.

From my experience, Dallas has a stick up the but lol.

It gets hella hot in both places. But Houston has the trees for shade and a nice breeze. Dallas is that oven type of hot.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I'm being biased because I live in Houston. I'm from Cali. But I love this place. It's the Los Angeles of Texas. Of course I'm not talking about the land. No other place in the USA will you get the beauty of the West coast.

I'm talking about the people. I feel at home here because it's an international city much like LA. Here's an article from the LA TIMES https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5lodJJ&ampcf=1

But you need to visit both and experience both.
I don't know you so everything I described is prob a no go for you... good luck
Thank you for posting that article. It was very good. Iíve never been to LA, but always thought it seemed a bit like a glamorous Houston with a prettier view. Now I want to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or