U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:13 PM

107 posts, read 85,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Its a long drive to the coast from Dallas if you want to view the ocean.....
That's one of the things I like about Houston. I can take a quick drive to view the ocean from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Dallas is A bit bland.

It's like vanilla ice cream. It's good at first but then it gets old.

It has a boring prerie landscape.

Hardly any trees. You say you're from ATL so that's gonna be a shock.

Houston is full of trees. You got uptown midtown with big trees. midtown neighborhoods are freaking awesome. Lined up with intresting looking trees.

Houston is rich in culture. Something Dallas lacks.

From my experience, Dallas has a stick up the but lol.

It gets hella hot in both places. But Houston has the trees for shade and a nice breeze. Dallas is that oven type of hot.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I'm being biased because I live in Houston. I'm from Cali. But I love this place. It's the Los Angeles of Texas. Of course I'm not talking about the land. No other place in the USA will you get the beauty of the West coast.

I'm talking about the people. I feel at home here because it's an international city much like LA. Here's an article from the LA TIMES https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5lodJJ&ampcf=1

But you need to visit both and experience both.
I don't know you so everything I described is prob a no go for you... good luck
I have visited both places and drove around both places for hours.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,662,084 times
Houston's crime is not nearly so widespread and random as Atlanta. Its safer.

Dallas and Houston are similar in that regard. I wouldn't worry about tornadoes. They are still pretty rare. They can be very scary, but you are more likely to be killed by a tree falling on you in Atlanta than be killed by a tornado in Dallas.

Crime and tornadoes are not things to base a decision on between Houston and Dallas. I prefer Houston. Its a little more open and accepting, but I like both cities.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:42 PM

457 posts, read 886,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
*Houston gets tornadoes as well as hurricanes. If you're truly concerned about dangerous weather, Dallas is the safer option.
Houston gets about as many tornadoes as Miami gets which is very little except in a hurricane.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 PM

4,060 posts, read 5,184,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I have visited both places and drove around both places for hours.
So what conclusion did you arrive at after visiting and driving around both places?..Im curious and interested on how both cities compare at first glance or first visits.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
So what conclusion did you arrive at after visiting and driving around both places?..Im curious and interested on how both cities compare at first glance or first visits.
To be honest, I was more impressed with Dallas. It could be that I was able to explore Dallas more than Houston. I spent most of my time driving around the highway 8 outer loop areas outside of Houston and exploring neighborhoods like Spring, Katy, Cypress, and Pearland. I didn't even get a chance to go nowhere near downtown Houston, but I was all over Dallas, including downtown and surrounding areas. I will be going back to Houston in a couple of weeks to check things out more. I think after all of my research, I'm going to go with Houston. I Just need to find a good area that's safe with decent schools for my two young daughters.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 PM

3,467 posts, read 6,813,070 times
If I could do it all over again I would be living in the Collin County area of DFW

Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM

758 posts, read 355,710 times
Quote:
To be honest, I was more impressed with Dallas. It could be that I was able to explore Dallas more than Houston. I spent most of my time driving around the highway 8 outer loop areas outside of Houston and exploring neighborhoods like Spring, Katy, Cypress, and Pearland. I didn't even get a chance to go nowhere near downtown Houston, but I was all over Dallas, including downtown and surrounding areas. I will be going back to Houston in a couple of weeks to check things out more. I think after all of my research, I'm going to go with Houston. I Just need to find a good area that's safe with decent schools for my two young daughters.
That's probably what it is. Head directly to the inner loop in Houston when you go back.

I like both cities honestly and Dallas is a pretty cool city. But inner loop Houston is completely different from the areas you were in.

Whichever one you pick you can't really make a bad choice.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:35 PM

121 posts, read 40,412 times
Quote:
I live in spring branch. About 15 min west of downtown. Right outside the loop. Safe and a mix of people. Check it out next time.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:38 PM

121 posts, read 40,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
That's probably what it is. Head directly to the inner loop in Houston when you go back.

I like both cities honestly and Dallas is a pretty cool city. But inner loop Houston is completely different from the areas you were in.

Whichever one you pick you can't really make a bad choice.
Yup I was in Chicago for the first time last summer. I stayed in elk grove village. It felt like I was in Katy tx.

But as soon as I got on i90 heading into Chicago it was totally diff. 9n a good way.

That's how Houston is. You need to explore inside the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or