U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 7,236,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I'm not torn any longer. Houston is my choice of the two cities. I think Houston would be a good fit for me because of its diversity, more things to do, business opportunities, warmer winters, fewer chances of tornados, and some other things mentioned in this long informative thread. I also like having the option of taking a quick drive to view the ocean from time to time. After all, my forum title is OceanViewer
So, let me get this straight.

You’re more scared of tornadoes (which affects a very, very limited area) than a hurricane that can cause widespread distruction and also have inbeded tropical tornadoes within the rain bands?

After living in Dallas my whole life, I’ve never seen nor experienced a tornado. But hey, it’s your decision not mine’s...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:50 PM

688 posts, read 836,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post

Youíre more scared of tornadoes (which affects a very, very limited area) than a hurricane that can cause widespread distruction and also have inbeded tropical tornadoes within the rain bands?

After living in Dallas my whole life, Iíve never seen nor experienced a tornado. But hey, itís your decision not mineís...
So many poor grammatical errors. About what youíd expect from a butthurt Dallast lurker.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:18 AM

12,205 posts, read 17,623,378 times
Quote:

Youíre more scared of tornadoes (which affects a very, very limited area) than a hurricane that can cause widespread distruction and also have inbeded tropical tornadoes within the rain bands?

After living in Dallas my whole life, Iíve never seen nor experienced a tornado. But hey, itís your decision not mineís...
Youíre so pressed. Lol. Yíall had more people to move to DFW last year than ANYWHERE in America.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:56 AM

3,468 posts, read 6,837,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Oh how exciting! I haven't been able to sleep just waiting for the announcement!
lol

Old 07-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
So many poor grammatical errors. About what you’d expect from a butthurt Dallast lurker.
I was half sleep when I wrote it...

Honestly, I didn’t really care since this isn’t an English class. I did not know I had to write a thesis, three body paragraphs supporting my thesis, and a conclusion that summarized my argument.

Butthurt? Nah. I’m just annoyed that people exaggerate the possibility of tornadoes.

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-04-2018 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-04-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You’re so pressed. Lol. Y’all had more people to move to DFW last year than ANYWHERE in America.
Dude, it’s not that serious to be “pressed”.

BTW are you even from Texas?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 AM

143 posts, read 41,999 times
Quote:
Butthurt? Nah. I’m just annoyed that people exaggerate the possibility of tornadoes.
I have to agree. Sure, they're terrifying, but the odds of you being affected by one have to be far less than the odds of a Houstonian suffering some loss due to natural disaster.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:37 AM

1,990 posts, read 857,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Why is it that somebody always has to chime in with Fort Worth as a consolation suggestion in these Houston to DFW comparisons. Can't we assume the OP is aware that Fort Worth is part of the DFW experience. Besides who wouldn't rather live in Galveston than Fort Worth ?
Idk, I think I might prefer living in Fort Worth over Galveston, though Galveston is fun.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 AM

1,990 posts, read 857,369 times
Quote:

Butthurt? Nah. Iím just annoyed that people exaggerate the possibility of tornadoes.
Yeah, there are many major cities where they are more common. Also, if you are afraid of tornadoes how do you drive a car? The odds of being killed in a car wreck are exponentially higher than a tornado. More people die from complications from the heat, many more people die of the flu.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I have to agree. Sure, they're terrifying, but the odds of you being affected by one have to be far less than the odds of a Houstonian suffering some loss due to natural disaster.
And that’s exactly my point.

Houston is far worse off when it comes to natural disasters than Dallas.

Houston naturally floods in regular heavy rain events. That’s not including tropical downpours that’s caused by tropical storms or hurricanes. In Dallas-Ft. Worth, we do get tornadoes and major hailstorms...but it happens in VERY isolated areas. Some people in Dallas have never had to deal with extreme weather events. In all my years living in Dallas, I’ve only encountered tree damage from severe thunderstorms. That’s it! I doubt the same can be said from the vast majority of native Houstonians. I’m not trying to bash Houston, so y’all please don’t take offense. I just find some of the things said in this thread to be blown out of proportion.

Edit: As we speak Houston is under a flash flood warning and flooding is occurring. Rainstorms like that in Dallas, wouldn’t be a major issue.

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-04-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or