U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
472 posts, read 134,207 times
Reputation: 614

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

How do you explain the Anti-Semitic and Islamaphobic tract a Dallas church passed around?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/rich...slam-dangerous
Gee, I dont know. How do you explain this:

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/i...ed-in-houston/

This is stupid. We can go all day long and find this kind of BS in any city in the US.

Going back to the point, I find Dallas more inclusive towards members of the LGBT community and Houston more ethnically inclusive but honestly both areas are so diverse that nobody will really have a problem any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Greater Houston
4,514 posts, read 8,603,211 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Gee, I dont know. How do you explain this:

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/i...ed-in-houston/

This is stupid. We can go all day long and find this kind of BS in any city in the US.

Going back to the point, I find Dallas more inclusive towards members of the LGBT community and Houston more ethnically inclusive but honestly both areas are so diverse that nobody will really have a problem any more.
Only problem is Dallas is the epicenter of the Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian wing of the GOP. You have Daystar's HQ, TBN's secondary studio (their Houston one is dinky in comparison), megachurches galore with TV ministries on those two channels. No surprise that there are many Chick tract publishers and other secondary industries in the area either.

Mainline churches are stronger in Houston. St. Martin's Episcopal Church can be considered the only Episcopalian megachurch and was in the spotlight for the late First Lady's funeral a few months ago. Mainstream churches tend to be silent on the issue or accepting/affirming LGBT.

Not surprised that this happened in Garland on the heels of the Prophetic Cartoon controversy at the time:

https://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/us/ga...ing/index.html

Dallas draws a lot of conventions--mostly conservative causes such as the recent NRA and the Southern Baptist events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
472 posts, read 134,207 times
Reputation: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Only problem is Dallas is the epicenter of the Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian wing of the GOP. You have Daystar's HQ, TBN's secondary studio (their Houston one is dinky in comparison), megachurches galore with TV ministries on those two channels. No surprise that there are many Chick tract publishers and other secondary industries in the area either.

Mainline churches are stronger in Houston. St. Martin's Episcopal Church can be considered the only Episcopalian megachurch and was in the spotlight for the late First Lady's funeral a few months ago. Mainstream churches tend to be silent on the issue or accepting/affirming LGBT.

.
You really dont know Dallas at all. Dallas is one of the most LGBT friendly cities in the US. How can Dallas be the center of the Evangelical wing of the GOP when Dallas is dominated by Democrats? Perhaps youre referring to some of the suburbs but not Dallas county.

Yes there are more churches in Dallas, but you know what else there are? More gay affirming churches in Dallas. In the city of Houston there are 36 gay affirming churches, in the city of Dallas there are 40 despite the fact Houston is twice the size.

https://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/

You just simply dont have a clue. And if you want to go tit-for-tat on religious hate, enjoy:

http://abc13.com/politics/houston-im...y-adl/2830620/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
472 posts, read 134,207 times
Reputation: 614
Anyway, to get this back on topic I would tell the OP this:

If youre looking to live in the city and have more of an urban lifestyle, Houston has more things to do in a smaller radius in the city center. I prefer living down here because I live in the city only a few miles from downtown.

If youre looking to live in the suburbs, Id go to Dallas. There are many more good suburbs to choose from up there. The suburbs up there also seem to have more things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 AM
 
107 posts, read 85,953 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You really dont know Dallas at all. Dallas is one of the most LGBT friendly cities in the US. How can Dallas be the center of the Evangelical wing of the GOP when Dallas is dominated by Democrats? Perhaps youre referring to some of the suburbs but not Dallas county.

Yes there are more churches in Dallas, but you know what else there are? More gay affirming churches in Dallas. In the city of Houston there are 36 gay affirming churches, in the city of Dallas there are 40 despite the fact Houston is twice the size.

https://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/

You just simply dont have a clue. And if you want to go tit-for-tat on religious hate, enjoy:

Houston Imam's sermon called anti-Semitic by Anti-Defamation League | abc13.com
How did we get on LGBT and religion? None of those are my concerns. I'm all about peace, safety, business and spending quality time with my wife and kids in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 AM
 
955 posts, read 816,403 times
Reputation: 1005
I think the biggest difference is the size, which you seem to have already noted. Houston is huge and if you live in The Woodlands and travel inside the loop a lot, you may find yourself spending more time in your car than you want. In Dallas, on the other hand, you can travel from Plano to Downtown in half the miles. Traffic sucks in both though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
472 posts, read 134,207 times
Reputation: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
How did we get on LGBT and religion? None of those are my concerns. I'm all about peace, safety, business and spending quality time with my wife and kids in the city.
It was a side tangent because it was brought up by another poster. Ive lived in both so I addressed it.

Let me ask you if youre wanting to live in the city or the suburbs? That would be the deciding factor for me. Both offer about the same number of things on a metro area level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 11:35 AM
bu2
 
8,975 posts, read 5,670,985 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I lived in Dallas for 15 years and never had a tornado even close to my house. I would not call Dallas tornado alley. I loved living in Dallas, loved, loved, loved it. I moved away for professional and family reasons last year.
Well it actually is in tornado alley. I lived in Dallas for 4 years and had one basically fly right over my parked car (with me in it). Fortunately, it was not on the ground at the time. It had picked up about a mile away. After that it got so dark we couldn't see anything with the rain and hail. Traffic was too bad to go anywhere so we stayed put. The radio next reported it about a mile on the other side of us with us in a direct line between the last two reported locations.

But that wouldn't be a reason for me to avoid Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 11:38 AM
bu2
 
8,975 posts, read 5,670,985 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Hes not incorrect. Houston isnt very walkable but if you look at the OP, I doubt they care much. They seem more interested in suburbs. The OP mentions they are coming from Atlanta. Atlanta is more walkable than either Houston or Dallas IMO.

Thats one thing DFW has more of: there are simply more suburbs to choose from up there. The Woodlands, Katy, and Sugar Land are great, but I find that a suburb like Plano or Frisco offers more than those.
If you are in to walkability, there are a number of places in Houston very walkable. Montrose regularly gets in top 10 and 20 lists. The Rice University area is very walkable. So are certain suburban areas. Houston's lack of zoning makes things accessible. Dallas is more restrictive, but as in all of Texas, a lot more lenient than many parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 11:41 AM
bu2
 
8,975 posts, read 5,670,985 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
How did we get on LGBT and religion? None of those are my concerns. I'm all about peace, safety, business and spending quality time with my wife and kids in the city.
My comments on openness and acceptance were general. Dallas tends to be a little more cliqueish and a little more formal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top