U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2018, 06:53 PM
 
4,163 posts, read 5,417,519 times
Reputation: 1809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I have lived in Houston and Dallas back and forth due to transfers several times. We lived in Lake Highlands twice and Rockwall.

Son also goes back and forth between Dallas and Houston. He also spends a lot of time in the Orient and Africa. He wouldn't move back to Houston for a million dollars a year. He is in Canyon Creek. DIL is alone weeks at a time and never felt uneasy.

I'd be in Dallas tomorrow.

Unless you live in the city of Houston, mostly inside the loop, you are in unincorporated Harris county. It is similar to being in a disenfranchised no man's land. All the burbs around Dallas are cities. They have the structure to do law enforcement and trash pick up. Plus, i love the alleys. No trash cans in front of the house, ever. Most cities provide heavy trash pickup once a month. There is no need to spend a couple hundred to have someone haul off your tree trimmings a couple times a year.

In unincorpoated Harris county one relies on their subdivision to provide law enforcement because the county has always under funded the sheriff's office. Most subdivision's HOA fees or Mud taxes pay the HCSO for a part time deputy, or make the same arrangement with the constables office.

It is way easier to get around in Dallas. They also got all the federal money designated to Houston's mass transit. They made good use of it.

I never felt threatened by a tornado.

Study flooding before making a commitment to Houston. IMO, flooding in Harris county is long past fixing, no matter what the officials tell us.
^^^^THIS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 PM
bu2
 
9,910 posts, read 6,377,564 times
Reputation: 4124
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I have lived in Houston and Dallas back and forth due to transfers several times. We lived in Lake Highlands twice and Rockwall.

Son also goes back and forth between Dallas and Houston. He also spends a lot of time in the Orient and Africa. He wouldn't move back to Houston for a million dollars a year. He is in Canyon Creek. DIL is alone weeks at a time and never felt uneasy.

I'd be in Dallas tomorrow.

Unless you live in the city of Houston, mostly inside the loop, you are in unincorporated Harris county. It is similar to being in a disenfranchised no man's land. All the burbs around Dallas are cities. They have the structure to do law enforcement and trash pick up. Plus, i love the alleys. No trash cans in front of the house, ever. Most cities provide heavy trash pickup once a month. There is no need to spend a couple hundred to have someone haul off your tree trimmings a couple times a year.

In unincorpoated Harris county one relies on their subdivision to provide law enforcement because the county has always under funded the sheriff's office. Most subdivision's HOA fees or Mud taxes pay the HCSO for a part time deputy, or make the same arrangement with the constables office.

It is way easier to get around in Dallas. They also got all the federal money designated to Houston's mass transit. They made good use of it.

I never felt threatened by a tornado.

Study flooding before making a commitment to Houston. IMO, flooding in Harris county is long past fixing, no matter what the officials tell us.
Both cities are pretty easy to get around in. Houston actually rates higher (slightly) in accessibility of jobs to transit. Dallas built a lot with the money. There is some question as to good use. They have among the lowest ridership per mile of light rail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

As for flooding, you just don't live in the 100 year flood plain or right next to it. Harris County needs to do more, but they really have done a lot in the last 40 years.

All you say about the suburbs in Dallas and unincorporated Harris County is true. But all those cities aren't necessarily a good thing. There is a lot of infighting. It was quite an accomplishment to get them to agree to set up DART. I hate alleys. We had them when we lived in Canyon Creek. Its a really tight fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 PM
 
121 posts, read 102,046 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It was a side tangent because it was brought up by another poster. Ive lived in both so I addressed it.

Let me ask you if youre wanting to live in the city or the suburbs? That would be the deciding factor for me. Both offer about the same number of things on a metro area level.
Definitely suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 07:09 PM
 
121 posts, read 102,046 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well it actually is in tornado alley. I lived in Dallas for 4 years and had one basically fly right over my parked car (with me in it). Fortunately, it was not on the ground at the time. It had picked up about a mile away. After that it got so dark we couldn't see anything with the rain and hail. Traffic was too bad to go anywhere so we stayed put. The radio next reported it about a mile on the other side of us with us in a direct line between the last two reported locations.

But that wouldn't be a reason for me to avoid Dallas.
I probably would've pissed in pants. LOL. Well, that's more than enough for me to avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Katy,TX.
3,506 posts, read 7,042,647 times
Reputation: 3228
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Unless you live in the city of Houston, mostly inside the loop, you are in unincorporated Harris county. It is similar to being in a disenfranchised no man's land. All the burbs around Dallas are cities. They have the structure to do law enforcement and trash pick up. Plus, i love the alleys. No trash cans in front of the house, ever. Most cities provide heavy trash pickup once a month. There is no need to spend a couple hundred to have someone haul off your tree trimmings a couple times a year.

In unincorpoated Harris county one relies on their subdivision to provide law enforcement because the county has always under funded the sheriff's office. Most subdivision's HOA fees or Mud taxes pay the HCSO for a part time deputy, or make the same arrangement with the constables office.


It is way easier to get around in Dallas. They also got all the federal money designated to Houston's mass transit. They made good use of it.

I never felt threatened by a tornado.

Study flooding before making a commitment to Houston. IMO, flooding in Harris county is long past fixing, no matter what the officials tell us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
^^^^THIS

Double ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 08:07 PM
 
121 posts, read 102,046 times
Reputation: 135
I think if it weren't for my tornado and hail storm phobia, I would pick Dallas. Dallas seemed cleaner, more organized and gave off a safer vibe. Then again, I also like Houston because it's more things to do, more diversity, and close to the ocean. I'm still slightly torn between the two. I really need to get back to Houston for a second and more in-depth look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM
 
4,163 posts, read 5,417,519 times
Reputation: 1809
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I think if it weren't for my tornado and hail storm phobia, I would pick Dallas. Dallas seemed cleaner, more organized and gave off a safer vibe. Then again, I also like Houston because it's more things to do, more diversity, and close to the ocean. I'm still slightly torn between the two. I really need to get back to Houston for a second and more in-depth look.
More things to do is subjective. Houston is definitely not lacking in things to do...but neither is Dallas. They both have things the other lacks...but it balances the two cities out to be more equal IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,332 posts, read 1,950,505 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Double ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^
I don't see anything inherently better about Collin County than Houston suburbs except that Collin County has more legacy historic downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 09:05 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 506,437 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I don't see anything inherently better about Collin County than Houston suburbs except that Collin County has more legacy historic downtowns.
I tend to like Houston's suburbs more just because of the trees. A minor reason to many, but I'm not a big fan of the prairie look. In North Texas im much more a fan of the city of Dallas and the older inner ring burbs than the stuff out in Collin County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles/Austin
132 posts, read 54,312 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Anyway, to get this back on topic I would tell the OP this:

If youre looking to live in the city and have more of an urban lifestyle, Houston has more things to do in a smaller radius in the city center. I prefer living down here because I live in the city only a few miles from downtown.

If youre looking to live in the suburbs, Id go to Dallas. There are many more good suburbs to choose from up there. The suburbs up there also seem to have more things to do.

Dude. You explained this so perfectly. I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top