U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 09:10 PM

121 posts, read 40,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
If you are in to walkability, there are a number of places in Houston very walkable. Montrose regularly gets in top 10 and 20 lists. The Rice University area is very walkable. So are certain suburban areas. Houston's lack of zoning makes things accessible. Dallas is more restrictive, but as in all of Texas, a lot more lenient than many parts of the country.
This!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
Definitely suburbs.
It's settled then. Go to dallas. The big city will prob be too much for you. Inside the loop is where it's happening. Superb city to raise a family... Dallas is perfect.

Don't get me wrong Houston suburbs are great but Dallas has Houston beat there.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,122,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidewolf1989 View Post
Dallas is much more clustered and has desirable suburbs that bump against each other. The Woodlands/Sugar Land/Katy aren't really in the same position.

For reference, I grew up in The Woodlands for five years and Plano for eight years. Both places have grown rapidly over the last few decades and have lots to do...certainly aren't bedroom communities anymore.

As far as weather goes, I'd personally rather deal with tornados than hurricanes, but I understand the other side. To me, tornados are an extremely low-odds but high devastation event; the odds of a tornado hitting your house in the DFW/North Texas area each time there is a tornado warning are so incredibly small, but you have to deal with the fact that you don't have a whole lot of warning time and the destruction they cause can be inescapable (i.e. can't just hop in your car and outrun it). With hurricanes, you have lots of warning time, but the destruction is much, much worse (and longer lasting), in addition to being more widespread. Never had a tornado come in my neighborhood in Plano, but certainly there were a few times where there were some just a few miles away. I've lived in Houston through Ike and Harvey and seeing what those storms can do is incredibly scary and humbling.

As far as general weather goes, Dallas wins hands down. A little less humidity and an actual semblance of four seasons compared to Houston.

Culture/things to do, I think Houston wins hands down. The museums are better here, the restaurants are more diverse and better in general and the sports stadiums are all located within a few miles of each other. The city living is better in Houston too - if you're an urban dweller, Houston is really enjoyable. If you're a suburban dweller and are commuting into the city for work, I'd pick Dallas.
Which urban neighborhood of Houston are you saying is more enjoyable than Central Dallas neighborhoods? One thing Dallas has going for it, is it's neat neighborhoods around Downtown. To say Dallas is only a good choice just for suburbs is a bit off.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Double ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^
If you are used to a cookie cutter clean (boring) lifestyle where you'll need to drive long ways for grocery or malls then Dallas it is.

I've noticed here in Houston like Los angeles.. I can walk to cvs or Walgreens and the walk to get my haircut and then eat at a tex mex or thai joint all without driving.

Can't do that in dallas

And I'm not trying to say Dallas is boring. Imo I'm kust can't with the prerie landscape. And the lack of greenery as in trees. Dallas is cool. Lotsa things to do too.

Last edited by edwinpa7; 06-28-2018 at 09:32 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I think if it weren't for my tornado and hail storm phobia, I would pick Dallas. Dallas seemed cleaner, more organized and gave off a safer vibe. Then again, I also like Houston because it's more things to do, more diversity, and close to the ocean. I'm still slightly torn between the two. I really need to get back to Houston for a second and more in-depth look.
??? Scratching my head again. lol

Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I think if it weren't for my tornado and hail storm phobia, I would pick Dallas. Dallas seemed cleaner, more organized and gave off a safer vibe. Then again, I also like Houston because it's more things to do, more diversity, and close to the ocean. I'm still slightly torn between the two. I really need to get back to Houston for a second and more in-depth look.
Dude just come down and dont have a plan.

Just u and a backpack. Rent a bike from the bike stations all over midtown downtown or museum district. And just people watch.

That's what I did. Before making the move. I still do that. It doesn't get old.

Buncha hot girls in yoga pants jogging struck up a convo. I mean it's great.

But come and be a Houstonians. I bet you'll fall in love

Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
If you are used to a cookie cutter clean (boring) lifestyle where you'll need to drive long ways for grocery or malls then Dallas it is.

I've noticed here in Houston like Los angeles.. I can walk to cvs or Walgreens and the walk to get my haircut and then eat at a tex mex or thai joint all without driving.

Can't do that in dallas
I think that's quite an exaggeration about Dallas or even the suburbs of Dallas.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think that's quite an exaggeration about Dallas or even the suburbs of Dallas.
Ypure rigjt. I don't mean boring as in things to do. Imo. It's the prerie that's a deal breaker. Houston is FLAT but with the trees inside the loop you really don't notice when walking around.

LA is hilly but not green. Houston was for me a fresh of breath air. Very green. But I still travel to Los Angeles because it's beautiful and my fam is there.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 PM

4,060 posts, read 5,187,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Which urban neighborhood of Houston are you saying is more enjoyable than Central Dallas neighborhoods? One thing Dallas has going for it, is it's neat neighborhoods around Downtown. To say Dallas is only a good choice just for suburbs is a bit off.
I was wondering which neighborhood also. Yes Dallas does have better developed and enjoyable suburbs..but central Dallas is probably one of the most urban areas in Texas. So I don't think Dallas is lacking in the "BIG CITY" department...Dallas gives the best of both worlds.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Ypure rigjt. I don't mean boring as in things to do. Imo. It's the prerie that's a deal breaker. Houston is FLAT but with the trees inside the loop you really don't notice when walking around.

LA is hilly but not green. Houston was for me a fresh of breath air. Very green. But I still travel to Los Angeles because it's beautiful and my fam is there.
Apart from the scenery. You don't necessarily have to drive for miles to go shopping for anything in Dallas. Lots of areas have high walk scores. My old neighborhood had a walk score in the upper 90s.

Even in the suburbs there are town centers and squares all over that are very walk able. There's also very charming historic downtown areas scattered all around like what's found in Grapevine, McKinney and so on.

And Fort Worth is right there with all it has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or