Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:43 PM

123 posts, read 146,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
If I could do it all over again I would be living in the Collin County area of DFW
That's the exact area I was looking at moving to until I ran across a youtube video during my research of a tornado that hit that area not long ago. That video scared me straight. LOL. I think I have some kind of phobia or something. I know that tornados are possible in Atlanta and Houston, but the chances are a lot higher in the DFW area. The hail storms are another thing I want to avoid. Does Houston have hail storms like the DFW area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 PM

132 posts, read 95,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
That's the exact area I was looking at moving to until I ran across a youtube video during my research of a tornado that hit that area not long ago. That video scared me straight. LOL. I think I have some kind of phobia or something. I know that tornados are possible in Atlanta and Houston, but the chances are a lot higher in the DFW area. The hail storms are another thing I want to avoid. Does Houston have hail storms like the DFW area?
Look at it this way... no matter where u choose to live, the other city is just 3.4 hrs away.

Plus we are about to get a speed train that'll connect Houston and Dallas. Just 90 minutes one way.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Houston's crime is not nearly so widespread and random as Atlanta. Its safer.

Dallas and Houston are similar in that regard. I wouldn't worry about tornadoes. They are still pretty rare. They can be very scary, but you are more likely to be killed by a tree falling on you in Atlanta than be killed by a tornado in Dallas.

Crime and tornadoes are not things to base a decision on between Houston and Dallas. I prefer Houston. Its a little more open and accepting, but I like both cities.
Umm... *scratches head...

The Dallas of 2018 is very progressive and definitely more forward thinking when it comes to LGBT inclusion.

Houston comes off as more Libertarian than Liberal.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:02 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
To be honest, I was more impressed with Dallas. It could be that I was able to explore Dallas more than Houston. I spent most of my time driving around the highway 8 outer loop areas outside of Houston and exploring neighborhoods like Spring, Katy, Cypress, and Pearland. I didn't even get a chance to go nowhere near downtown Houston, but I was all over Dallas, including downtown and surrounding areas. I will be going back to Houston in a couple of weeks to check things out more. I think after all of my research, I'm going to go with Houston. I Just need to find a good area that's safe with decent schools for my two young daughters.
Downtown Houston and to the West is where you'll find the best parts of actual Houston. None of it really comes of as very walkable, but Hermann Park is a great public space as well as the Museum District next to it.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Downtown Houston and to the West is where you'll find the best parts of actual Houston. None of it really comes of as very walkable, but Hermann Park is a great public space as well as the Museum District next to it.
Says someone who lives in Dallas.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:10 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
Dallas and Houston are on par in terms of crime, so I really don't see where people say that Houston's crime is worse than Dallas and vice versa. Houston sits on the gulf, so it's more susceptible to hurricanes, which I'll take flooding over tornadoes. You have to realize that Dallas isn't surrounded by water like Houston. From a crime aspect, Houston's crime takes place inside the 610 loop.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 AM

436 posts, read 578,631 times
Quote:
I am very interested in moving to Houston or Dallas from Atlanta. I Really like Dallas, but I'm a little frightened about living in tornado alley. I have nightmares about tornados, LOL. I also like Houston but I have a little concern about the crime. I have been monitoring the news in both cities for a few months and Houston news is a little crazy and very similar to the crazy news here in Atlanta, which are random violence, robberies, and shootings. Dallas news seems a little mild in comparison. The crime in Atlanta and Dallas seems to mainly happen in certain areas but it seems scattered throughout the city of Houston. What's the deal? Am I reading too much into the news?
I lived in Dallas for 15 years and never had a tornado even close to my house. I would not call Dallas tornado alley. I loved living in Dallas, loved, loved, loved it. I moved away for professional and family reasons last year.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:39 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Dallas and Houston are on par in terms of crime, so I really don't see where people say that Houston's crime is worse than Dallas and vice versa. Houston sits on the gulf, so it's more susceptible to hurricanes, which I'll take flooding over tornadoes. You have to realize that Dallas isn't surrounded by water like Houston. From a crime aspect, Houston's crime takes place inside the 610 loop.
No, Houston's crime takes place all over, just like it does in other metros. Cypress Station, Sunnyside and Westwood are all well outside the Loop. Suburban malls are known as property crime hot spots.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:15 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Says someone who lives in Dallas.
Hes not incorrect. Houston isnt very walkable but if you look at the OP, I doubt they care much. They seem more interested in suburbs. The OP mentions they are coming from Atlanta. Atlanta is more walkable than either Houston or Dallas IMO.

Thats one thing DFW has more of: there are simply more suburbs to choose from up there. The Woodlands, Katy, and Sugar Land are great, but I find that a suburb like Plano or Frisco offers more than those.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
The hail storms are another thing I want to avoid. Does Houston have hail storms like the DFW area?
The weather patterns in DFW are the same as Oklahoma. That location is where inland continental and Gulf coast moisture bump into each other, creating violent results. Tornadoes and hailstorms are a hallmark of the region's climate.

A few years ago there was baseball sized hail around mid-day DFW that caused an auto glass shortage around Texas with all the windshields and windows blown out. I had to be careful with my car for the next month. I'll never forget someone's video I saw on the news with the skylights blown out by large hailstones at a house in Oklahoma City.

Apparently there was another large hailstorm in North Dallas earlier this month:

Storms Drop Baseball-Sized Hail on North Texas, Shattering Windows: 'Sounded Like God Was Throwing Rocks'

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Umm... *scratches head...

The Dallas of 2018 is very progressive and definitely more forward thinking when it comes to LGBT inclusion.

Houston comes off as more Libertarian than Liberal.
How do you explain the Anti-Semitic and Islamaphobic tract a Dallas church passed around?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/rich...slam-dangerous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston