U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:44 PM

107 posts, read 85,783 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in moving to Houston or Dallas from Atlanta. I Really like Dallas, but I'm a little frightened about living in tornado alley. I have nightmares about tornados, LOL. I also like Houston but I have a little concern about the crime. I have been monitoring the news in both cities for a few months and Houston news is a little crazy and very similar to the crazy news here in Atlanta, which are random violence, robberies, and shootings. Dallas news seems a little mild in comparison. The crime in Atlanta and Dallas seems to mainly happen in certain areas but it seems scattered throughout the city of Houston. What's the deal? Am I reading too much into the news?

Last edited by OceanViewer; 06-27-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM

769 posts, read 448,156 times
Why're you scared of tornadoes but not hurricanes?

Old 06-27-2018, 01:44 PM

955 posts, read 814,678 times
Yes.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:46 PM

121 posts, read 40,372 times
Dallas is A bit bland.

It's like vanilla ice cream. It's good at first but then it gets old.

It has a boring prerie landscape.

Hardly any trees. You say you're from ATL so that's gonna be a shock.

Houston is full of trees. You got uptown midtown with big trees. midtown neighborhoods are freaking awesome. Lined up with intresting looking trees.

Houston is rich in culture. Something Dallas lacks.

From my experience, Dallas has a stick up the but lol.

It gets hella hot in both places. But Houston has the trees for shade and a nice breeze. Dallas is that oven type of hot.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I'm being biased because I live in Houston. I'm from Cali. But I love this place. It's the Los Angeles of Texas. Of course I'm not talking about the land. No other place in the USA will you get the beauty of the West coast.

I'm talking about the people. I feel at home here because it's an international city much like LA. Here's an article from the LA TIMES https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5lodJJ&ampcf=1

But you need to visit both and experience both.
I don't know you so everything I described is prob a no go for you... good luck

Old 06-27-2018, 02:00 PM

410 posts, read 265,039 times
Its a long drive to the coast from Dallas if you want to view the ocean.....

Old 06-27-2018, 02:35 PM

955 posts, read 814,678 times
However, I do agree with you that tornadoes are scarier than hurricanes. They are fast and nasty. Hurricanes at least have the courtesy to warn you that they are coming so you can prepare yourself. This, coming from someone who hid in her closet 3 times in 4 years in Dallas (no tornado ever touched down) and stayed in Houston through Rita, Ike, and Harvey. So not sure if that makes me more or less credible, lol.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:23 PM

142 posts, read 39,435 times
*Houston gets tornadoes as well as hurricanes. If you're truly concerned about dangerous weather, Dallas is the safer option.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:45 PM

55 posts, read 19,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I am very interested in moving to Houston or Dallas from Atlanta. I Really like Dallas, but I'm a little frightened about living in tornado alley. I have nightmares about tornados, LOL. I also like Houston but I have a little concern about the crime. I have been monitoring the news in both cities for a few months and Houston news is a little crazy and very similar to the crazy news here in Atlanta, which are random violence, robberies, and shootings.
Don't know what news you are watching, but we're not seeing that here locally.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:52 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,704,115 times
Both Atlanta and Houston have always been high-crime places. If you can handle it there, you can handle it here. I will say that in Houston (both in the city core and the suburbs), auto burglary is extremely common - never ever leave things of value in the cockpit of the car. When you pump gas, don't leave anything on the passenger seat with the door unlocked. Etc., etc.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:09 PM

107 posts, read 85,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Why're you scared of tornadoes but not hurricanes?
We are warned about Hurricanes a week or days ahead. Tornados are random. It's like rolling the dice in tornado alley. My 10 year old daughter even reminded me that Dallas is in tornado alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or