U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:12 PM

411 posts, read 266,206 times

Advertisements

Grants Lake Condos....Sugar Land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 09:26 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,252,078 times
Where in Houston area is your employer? Traffic is a nightmare so best to try and live in a community near work.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:32 AM

4 posts, read 3,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Where in Houston area is your employer? Traffic is a nightmare so best to try and live in a community near work.

Traffic is not a major concern as we can work from home most days.

Also, how do we check to ensure we're avoiding flood prone areas? Is there a resource that provides the areas most likely to be affected by flood? I googled this but couldn't find great aggregated info.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:44 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingPlaces View Post
Traffic is not a major concern as we can work from home most days.

Also, how do we check to ensure we're avoiding flood prone areas? Is there a resource that provides the areas most likely to be affected by flood? I googled this but couldn't find great aggregated info.

Thanks!

There are two types of flooding - street flooding and house flooding. Street flooding happens everywhere when there is a good amount of rain in a short amount of time. That type of flooding will go down very quickly as the water meanders to the street sewers.

House flooding is much different. There are areas that have flooded repeatedly but there are many streets within those neighborhoods that have never flooded. It all depends on how high your street is relative to the others in your neighborhood.

That said in southwest Houston - parts of Meyerland, Westbury, Bellaire are known house flood prone areas. There is a flood mitigation project named Project Brays that will be completed within 1.5 years that is supposed to lower the flood level by 1.5 feet in many of those areas so if a home flooded less than 1.5 feet in Harvey (worst storm ever) but not in other recent floods (such as Tax Day flood and Memorial Day flood) than they "should" be safe from flooding unless another Harvey comes along. I cannot comment on other parts of Houston that flooded.

Here's an interesting read with some maps of flooded areas during recent events: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...e-12794820.php

Also: https://www.hcfcd.org/

Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,189,424 times
You can find homes in the Sugar Land/Missouri City area for 250k. Look in the Highlands, Lake Colony, Colony Lakes, maybe Lakefield, and Settler's Way.

They are older and generally smaller. You get the top schools in FBISD and also live with your people like you wanted. Sugar Land and Missouri City are about 30-40% South Asians.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 692,962 times
I see more and more homes in my area of Katy for lease. You could find something that way and figure out where you want to live permanently. My street has quite a few Asian families and it's wonderful. They're the nicest neighbors, quiet, and for some reason their kids are never outside playing. (Not sure if that is good or bad, it just is). Their mom tells me they're at sports or swimming or tutoring. . . Anyway, house next door has 3 kids and they're as quiet as mice. ))

Check Cinco Rach NW and SW. Both areas didn't flood, did quite well during and after Hurricane Harvey. (77494)

Also do a Katy HAR search and find homes for sale or lease. Plenty available.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:48 AM

98 posts, read 37,845 times
250 is going to be very hard to do in Sugar Land and the good parts of Missouri City. Riverstone has a huge South Asian community but that neighborhood is way out of your budget. Cinco Ranch will also be out of your budget. You could possibly find something in Stafford but the schools there are not really good. You could possibly find something in Far West Katy/Cinco Ranch that will meet your budget. Look into the 77494 zip code, the schools are in the top 20% in the Houston Metro and there is a sizable and growing south Asian population.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,557 times
Have you had to opportunity to speak with a realtor? They would be able to pull up various areas with your specific criteria to help narrow down your search and find the right neighborhood for you and your family. Houston is huge and its difficult to narrow down the right area without help. I have been in Houston for almost 20years and I still come across areas I know nothing about. Let me know if you would like me to connect you with someone.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:01 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,289,053 times
The 15-20 year old requirement is actually kind of odd. That's about the time tract homes really started gaining steam in the suburbs and the build quality associated with their quick build and cost conscious material selections.

You'd be better off finding a slightly older home than that with the major ticket items replaced, like HVAC, roof, foundation repair, and old piping. They may look cosmetically a little worse than something 15-20 years old, but it very likely has better bones.

I think buying a 15-20 year old house is probably the worst age house to buy these days. Buying something under 7 years old or new, or 30+ years with major maintenance done are much better choices.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:23 AM

8,133 posts, read 5,702,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Sugar Land is not a majority Asian/Indian community......Asians make up about about 39% of the population. Asian/Indians split about evenly between East and South Asians. Sugar Land is still majority white/Caucasian.

As of the last census (2010): The racial makeup of the city was 52.0% White, 7.4% African American, 0.2% Native American, 35.3% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 2.3% other races, and 2.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.6% of the population
In an area that grows as quickly as Fort Bend County, 2010 census stats are worthless in 2018. I'd bet my house that Sugar Land is under 50% white now. I'm sure whites are still the plurality, though that might not last another census cycle.

Lots of south Asians are starting to move west across the river now, which makes sense as sugar land is built out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston