U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 02:16 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,059,922 times

Advertisements

We have friends who are moving to Galveston for part of the year. Since we used to live there, they asked us about which electric company to choose, but we lived there before all this breakout of electric service. When we were there, there was only one company.

Can anyone comment on which they think is best? Cheapest? Most reliable? What?

Thanks. Our friends are not very tech savvy so I said we'd ask online here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 PM

2,618 posts, read 2,537,985 times
www.energyogre.com

$10 a month. They find the best plan for you.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:30 PM

888 posts, read 2,096,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
www.energyogre.com

$10 a month. They find the best plan for you.
Yeah, if they arenít willing to do the work, paying Energy Ogre is the way to go. Thereís no one company thatís good. For example, I have TXU. The plan I have is perfect for my needs. But there are plans on TXU that would be horrible for me.

I helped my elderly relatives pick an electric plan. They live in a small apartment just the 2 of them and are gone several months out of the year. I have a family of 5 living in a 2800 sq Ft house. My plan didnít suit them, and the plan they got doesnít suit me.

So definitely do Energy Ogre if itís too confusing. They can always start with that and move off their services later.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:04 AM

Thanks all! I had a look at energy ogre. Since they would only be there for part of the year, it doesn't look like the site can take that into account. Or maybe they would have to average out their bill, but it would then be ridiculously low. Or something.

What a confusing mess! Glad we don't have a choice up here where we are

Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 6,287 times
If you prefer to shop for yourself but just want a better tool to distill the fine print and do the proper math, check out Texas Power Guide's "RateGrinder" calculator.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:06 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,248,131 times
What sux is that no matter who you choose, Texas New Mexico and not reliant services the lines in Galveston county and charges a $39 transmission fee every month above your electricity usage.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:59 AM

Yes, I don't get this deregulation stuff. Who benefits from that besides all the different companies? Doesn't seem like the consumer is any better off.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:43 PM

1,131 posts, read 517,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
What sux is that no matter who you choose, Texas New Mexico and not reliant services the lines in Galveston county and charges a $39 transmission fee every month above your electricity usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, I don't get this deregulation stuff. Who benefits from that besides all the different companies? Doesn't seem like the consumer is any better off.
The price you pay to your electricity provider is for the electricity only. You still have to pay for the power lines and other infrastructure that delivers the power to your house. That cost is regulated and subject to a statutory rate of return, and approved by the PUC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or